Join Early Retirement Today

Class of 2016 in their 5th Year of Retirement
Old 05-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Class of 2016 in their 5th Year of Retirement

For the class of 2016 we are in our 5th year of retirement. I looked for the list of 2016 class but was unable to find it.

Just wondering how many of us are still visiting the site, and how your retirement has been going, in the fifth year of retirement?

For me it has went so fast, it is hard to beleive it has been 5 years. It has been all I expected it would be and much more.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I must be the last of the 2016 class, still upright. Lol

I'm hoping for another uneventful next 5 years with good health and fortune and wish that to all.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I moved from class of 2014 to class of 2016 and finally, class of 2019, and done. Hopefully some of your classmates will show up.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #4

I retired in 2016, and I'm still here! Still happily retired, and have found plenty to keep me busy.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #5

I'm one year behind in class of 2017, and doing great in my 4th year of retirement.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Class of 2016 here as well.

Things have turned out somewhat but not tremendously different than I expected, and mostly better. Getting things dialed in over the past few years - FIRE can be quite an adjustment in both lifestyle and money-wise.

Financially way better than I thought - hovering around a 1% net WR but enjoying a simple life.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2017 here, time has flown. The first 3 years were great, last year was what it was.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm also class of 2017. Most of the past four years were spent being my wife's caregiver. I'm finally learning to take better care of myself. I've just rejoined a gym, waiting for the J&J vaccine to fully kick in before I start going again... looking forward to lifting weights, swimming, tennis and basketball.

Regarding w*rk, I do miss it to an extent... but I don't miss waking up to an alarm clock My days are so busy I often wonder how I fit a j*b into my schedule!
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #9

DW & I are 2016'ers.

All going great for us. Still pinch ourselves every day!

We started our E.R. with a 3 month long trip around New Zealand. Between then and prior to COVID, we twice visited Italy - each time for 3 months along with squeezing in visits to Croatia & Slovenia. 2 months each in Morocco and Lake Atitlán, Guatemala. Lived in Costa Rica for 10 months in 2018. Currently in Oaxaca, Mexico for the summer and leaving again at the end of August for another 3 months between Italy and France.

Last month we sold our home in the Phoenix area along with our car and liberated ourselves of the entirety of our possessions save for two carry-on roller bags and two backpacks. Now fully vaccinated, free from the responsibilities of home ownership and with the world beginning to open up, we are looking forward to more roaming about.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Never signed up officially, but am in the class of 2017 and looking forward to celebrating 4 years of retirement this summer.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Class of Nov 2015 military retirement and may 2016 civilian civil service job.
Mid 2016- Late 2018 was with my SO waiting for her retirement age and years of service to hit correctly.
New Years 2018 Jan 2019 we separated ( new man for her).
My disposable income Went up by $4000 a month.
Only debt was a 0% interest auto note on a suv as my road to my old house is gravel and has a homemade redneck engineering bridge.
I moved back into my paid off 1000 square foot lake cabin.
And started traveling south west USA ,south east USA, Midwest USA.
Costa Rica
Guatemala
Manila -Cebu -Palawan Philippines
Covid kept me near home in Texas.
Then last 6 months or so Costa Rica and Colombia and south west and south east USA again.
smalltownguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

DH- June 2016, me Dec 2016.
Started off traveling more than we thought we would, but it was fun!
Have had a few family changes: marriage /babies/divorce/illnesses--nice to be retired and much less stress to be able to deal with any issues from them.
Finances doing fine, budget working out as planned.
Really enjoying my days, no matter what I do or don't do--love having my own plan!
Have worked on call some, but always on my terms.
So far, Loving Retirement!!
Old 05-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Time has flown for sure! Class of 2016 here. Hiked ( most of) the Appalachian trail, cycle 5000+ miles a year, and check in to this site less regularly. Really appreciate the wisdom here that helped allow us to enjoy ER.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Great! Good to hear from all of you and sounds like everyone is doing fine and enjoying their time.

It has been a great 5 years and the best thing I very did was to retire from my career job. I was one most thought would work till I dropped and I surprised them how well I adjusted to doing my own thing.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

June 1, 2016 for both DW and myself! It's been great with net worth being up 30% while traveling and blowing the dough!
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2016, last day of work was May 6. The past 5 years have been good, though not typical in any way. I didn't realize how unhappy I was until I was away from work. Much of my time in the last couple of years has been devoted to spiritual/self-improvement study, introspection, and meditation. I'm much happier now and finally ready to move to more outwardly directed activities, though probably not what I had originally planned (with the pandemic and all).
Old 05-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #17

Another June 1, 2016 alumnus here.

I was waiting for the official 5-year anniversary to post, but close enough.

It's been great. I'm ahead financially, thanks to my 401k rising, low inflation and me proving that I could, indeed, live within the limits of my 40% non-COLA pension. I had stashed away one years' expenses in cash just in case my projections were all wrong, but it's still there and growing. I haven't tapped into my 401k and I'm still holding out on Social Security and one other small pension I can tap if needed, but will continue to grow until I hit 70 if not. The last years have been very good for retirees in my situation.

In May 2016 I was getting underway on a 3-month Down East Loop cruise. This year, with the pandemic closing borders and making things generally difficult, we've put off doing the Great Loop as planned. Maybe next year.

I've got a couple of boat delivery gigs this month. I do get paid, but I don't really consider it w*rk so I'm still technically retired. I've only done 2-3 of these a year anyway. Maybe I'll post some pictures from my "office" at the helm if I get any downtime. Certainly better than the view out my old office window at w*rk.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

I retired in August 2016, but this is my first time posting!

Things have been going well. I've traveled a lot, especially in 2019.

Only in the past few months have I started saying "I'm retired" instead of saying "I'm between jobs". When I quit in 2016 I hadn't ruled out finding a new job. But now? The stock market has increased my portfolio to what it is. And 2020 showed me how little I could spend (if needed) and still be okay. There's really no need to consider going back a likely possibility. Most people that I say this to just laugh. They'd assumed that I was retired after I went a year without finding anything new. I'm the one that took a while to figure it out.
Hubcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a lot of happy retired people, after 5 years.

I do hope for the ones that are in their 5th year but haven't got to that special day yet. Start another thread and tell us of your success story over the last 5 years.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2016 here.

Retirement has been wonderful. I am busy with volunteer, fitness and social activities.