Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Myself and DW both submitted our resignations this morning, in good time for our RE date of 04/27. What a feeling!

Congrats - that’s fantastic! Looking forward to doing the same as soon as bonuses are paid!
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears20 View Post
Congrats - that’s fantastic! Looking forward to doing the same as soon as bonuses are paid!
Ha ha! I get my bonus in April too, but it's not affected by my working my notice!
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ha ha! I get my bonus in April too, but it's not affected by my working my notice!

I don’t think Megacorp would do this, but I’ve heard stories of people being walked out the door to avoid paying a bonus. Not going to take that chance-
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2018
Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2018

Deleted
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #225
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m done. I signed up for class of 2016 and chickened out. I signed up for class of 2017 and I stayed on to help my boss through a hard time. I signed up for class of 2018 and kept my promise to myself. Today was my last day.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
I’m done. I signed up for class of 2016 and chickened out. I signed up for class of 2017 and I stayed on to help my boss through a hard time. I signed up for class of 2018 and kept my promise to myself. Today was my last day.
IKubak, that’s amazing and many congratulations. Can you tell us more of your story?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
IKubak, that’s amazing and many congratulations. Can you tell us more of your story?
Since poppy asked and I have plenty of time now...I'll try to keep it short and I'll start from the beginning. I believe certain personality types are more geared toward saving. I have always been a saver, since I was a kid. I'm not saying other personality types can't save, just saying no one ever had to convince me saving was a good thing.

When I got into the working world I continued to save and got lucky and married a beautiful, hard-working saver. This was probably the best financial move I ever made although the financial aspect of it was never a thought. We had a son and once he was born we started saving for his college. He joined the Marines and will get the GI bill when he is done with his active duty in November, so his college is paid for. We gave him the education IRA we started so his Master's degree is fully funded as well. If he doesn't use it, he can use it for his kids. Once he was on the military payroll, we also started his Roth IRA and fully funded it for a year to get him started. Savers gonna save, that's what we do.

We both worked but we took two years off each to raise our son while the other spouse kept working. We moved from the big city to a small(erish) college town when my son finished 2nd grade because we thought it was a better place for him. We didn't have jobs in the college town but I commuted and got a job at the university within a year. We downsized our house (took the proceeds from our city house and paid cash for the next house) and continued to lived modestly. Moving was a great decision in hindsight.

I found the Early Retirement Forum in 2007 and immediately knew there were a lot of financially wise people and information here. I had always saved but without a singular focus. Savers gonna save, right? I had already read some of the great retirement/investing books (Your Money or Your Life, The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need, Random Walk Down Wall Street, etc.) but this forum was a huge help because it applied financial strategies to individual situations. I learned a lot by reading how other people handled their finances and prepared for RE.

Around 2008, I thought we were getting close to where we could retire but I kept telling DW that we needed one more correction while we were putting away a lot of $ to get us over the hump. Well, we got it. 2008-09 was the worst bear market I had ever seen. This forum was a huge help at that time because the media made it sound like we would be hunting and gathering for our next meal but on this forum, everyone was relatively calm. Everyone was staying the course.

We survived the crisis and around 2012 I sat DW down and showed her that we were very close to ER. She liked my presentation so much that she came up with her own plan....she semi-retired (cut back to 2 days a week) to see if it was good and she proclaimed it...very good. So good in fact that she fully retired two years later. I had considered leaving my job as well due to the high stress nature of it but I decided to transfer to a different unit and that worked out very well. I liked the people I worked with and the job in my new dept. but I was still tied to a job and I couldn't travel or have my own schedule. I was going to RE in 2016 but I stayed on for no particular reason, just OMY syndrome. Then I was going to pull the trigger in April of 2017 but a coworker left giving us very short notice so I stayed until my boss could get a replacement hired and trained. I told my team a year before I retired about my plan and formally gave notice in November 2017. I'm 55 so I got a few strange looks from people when my retirement was announced and I got several questions about why and what I was going to be doing. But that's all in the past and today just feels like a weekend. I'm going to Mexico for 5 weeks on Saturday and am looking forward to some warm weather.

In summary, the things that allowed me to ER include marrying the right wife and staying married, reading the right books and having a plan, downsizing the house and living debt free, and finally, finding ER Forum and learning from other people who were trying to do the same thing I was.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #228
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ikubak, what a great story. Thank you for the inspiration!

I also married a saver. She is maybe a bit more LBYM than me even. However, she is generous, and it rubbed off on me. I am thankful for learning the joy of giving from her.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

IKubak, thanks for your story, much appreciated. I hope your insights inspires others. PD.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

Great post ikubak. I have a very similar story right down to the part about telling your team a year before you gave your final notice. MY DW shares the same frugal values as myself. I will be FIREing this year at 54.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Senioritis anyone?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #231
Recycles dryer sheets

Senioritis anyone?

I'm a relatively recent joiner of your community. As my target exit from a Megacorp type place approaches, you are all helping me keep my sanity with your personal stories.

Me - I recently have been feeling like an anxious high school senior awaiting spring graduation! Coincidentally, I am targeting late May/late June 2018, graduation season. I have to see how many more months and weeks I can stand it, while stashing away one final 40k1 max contribution. I'm just obsessed with getting the heck out of the crazy rat race and not doing or saying something stupid in the meantime that gets me fired. But after my anniversary in mid-Feb., I will be free to go. Not sure I can make it much past that but I'm going to try - like I always do - or I wouldn't be in this fortunate situation to be able to get out early. Still leaving a ton of potential income on the table but time and my sanity is worth more.

I used to enjoy my career, dedicated myself to helping improve whatever company/group I was a part of. But ugh! Everyone is a self-serving texting two-bit news reporter (gossiper), better to look good than be good type. Nothing wrong with looking good, or looking 'the part', but does no one have a soul anymore? --That they are allowed to or dare to let out at the office?. Does no one have actual real life communications anymore that would constitute an actual conversation, ya know, a free sharing of ideas?

In 20 years ,these personality-free dopes we leave behind will be replace by computers/robots/AI. And they'll be surprised when it happens.

Senioritis - sometimes it's a good thing!
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #232
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Senioritis? Oh yeah, pretty severe too. Spent part of the day adjusting my 401k so I max it out (May timeframe). Having trouble dealing "with the most important problem EVER!!!!" kind of discussions.

For them, everything is a fire. Guess what? No it is not. Just about everything in akidagain2018's post rings true, except for the good looking part. I'm certainly the best looking around here.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

akidagain - that's a brilliant and inspiring post, and I'm willing to bet that many of us here relate to it massively.

I particulary love this excerpt:

"Still leaving a ton of potential income on the table but time and my sanity is worth more."

How true! Anyone being overwhelmed by "one more year" syndrome should read this and reflect......
Old 01-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #234
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still on target for 9/30!

Now with 16% more total saved than planned -- thanks to the stock market! I know that will soon get slapped back down, but it will help my sequence of returns problem considerably.

2yrs expenditures in cash, 5 years expenditures in after-tax should help me Roth-convert for a while at the beginning.

Struggling now with when to let folks know at w*^k. As usual, unique situation.....

Can't stand it! The loop is waiting!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
akidagain - that's a brilliant and inspiring post, and I'm willing to bet that many of us here relate to it massively.

"Still leaving a ton of potential income on the table but time and my sanity is worth more."

How true! Anyone being overwhelmed by "one more year" syndrome should read this and reflect......
Yeah, I may end up staying longer, so OMY, or sixMY, but that's the money left on the table. I've worked long and hard to get here, realigning my plan over time to unforeseen life events, and market crash a la, what 2007, can't remember when the worst of it was. I keep reminding myself I am reaching my goal! I should celebrate that, not fear lost income Ii don't need. I've been more financially successful than I ever could have imagined. So why could I need more money? I have a close friend I used to work with who jumped off the big Co train many years ago. He hated it. I kinda ignored it as long as I was oblivious, head down grinding out work, all over the globe in some cases. Now I need to refocus on what I really WANT to do with my time and brain power, my heart.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #236
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I can certainly relate. I will be leaving a large salary (to me) behind and a position where I could, somewhat, retire in place.

By retiring my revenue will decrease to about 65% of current gross salary which still leaves us well above median household income for the area. There is so much I want to do but can't because of being at the office. Some of it as simple and inexpensive as getting my two acres of woods and out buildings cleaned up and squared away. Then gardening, maybe mess with chickens, put more time into my beagles (AKC competitions, hunting dogs and companions), plus grandkids, photography, Church activities....and the list goes on.

Still there is some nervousness as I near the launch date, but more anxiety at the thought of staying on longer.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #237
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post

I look forward to posts of your journey.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 AM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

DW put in her papers, 03/02/2018 will be her last day to report, using paid vacation through first week in April.

Now it’s my turn?!?!?
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Still on target for 9/30!

Now with 16% more total saved than planned -- thanks to the stock market! I know that will soon get slapped back down, but it will help my sequence of returns problem considerably.

2yrs expenditures in cash, 5 years expenditures in after-tax should help me Roth-convert for a while at the beginning.

Struggling now with when to let folks know at w*^k. As usual, unique situation.....

Wave as you pass by my house on Chesapeake Bay.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #240

Senioritis? The days are just dragging. I have one big energy-draining project to finish in early March, and then it's just bookkeeping until June 30 or July 31. I haven't told any boss yet - I seldom see them in person, and I do want to tell them in person. I am ducking training sessions for programs that won't start until 2019. I am keeping a list (it's up to 7 items) of soul-crushing activities (things like "developing an assessment program for your unit that includes a 'rubric'") that I will be able to avoid. My mental metaphors are increasing rapidly (as I've mentioned, the most frequent is that I am a small mammal in a field with my tall grass hiding places being mowed down - but there is a hole under the fence and I am just going to scoot under it). Our current contract ends June 30. The long-promised budget realignment is to take place in fall 2018. And on and on. Time to go. But getting there - a slow plod, but I keep motivating myself by thinking about how great it is going to feel. Is that wrong? We've read for so long that you shouldn't live in the future. But I haven't really, I've slowly amped up travel, developed a hobby into a passion, have at least managed cardio exercise for many years, and now am working my way through appointments. Next week is my third and final attendance at our institution's "retirement seminars." I have a physical and eye exam on the books for March.
How are the rest of you doing getting through these final weeks and months?
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote