Class of 2018

Same thing here. I have reworked my numbers so many times I know that they are solid. Still however there is that part of me saying OMG this is for real. And you are so much closer than I am. I can’t imagine what you must be going through...[emoji15]

It will work out. When you have done your homework, it works.
Hope you have a great retirement.:greetings10:

Make sure you’ve downloaded any contacts you want to keep into your private address book.

Are there any emails or documents that you’d rather not have anyone see after you go? Delete now.

Are there any emails or documents that might conceivably be useful to you later? Thumb drive (yeah I know they aren’t really your property but...)

Are there any project loose ends that could spur an unwanted phone call later? Do a handover document while you’re still getting paid.

Say goodbye privately to people whom you like but you won’t want to see again so you don’t feel like there’s unfinished business.

Go through your pockets for any unclaimed expense receipts - you have only one last shot at reimbursement.

Awesome, some gems in there! Thanks!!

My DW gave her notice the other day, 4 more weeks for her,I just gave my notice as well, 9 more weekend overnight shifts for me. Wow, emotions have been all over the place, but really looking forward to walking out the door for the last time! New RV is on order and should be arriving about the time I am done with w*rk. We have campground reservations for pretty much all summer already !

Finally... :dance: My last day was Friday 3/2/2018. This is my first Monday will very little stress and no driving; however I didn't sleep well last night; thinking about work. :facepalm: Hope that stops soon.
Hopefully, the next month will go fast for my DH (tmm2good). Getting exciting about traveling in our new RV

I ER'd just over a month ago. I wrote this last night, but in keeping with my rule about not posting after having imbibed, I decided to wait until today to post it. :D

I forgot it was Sunday night!

It's 1:00am and I'm sitting here listening to some great jazz (right now "So What" by Miles Davis).

Suddenly, I thought: it's getting kind of late, do I need to be up for anything tomorrow? In fact, what day is it tomorrow? Oh yeah, it's Monday.

Wait a minute. If tomorrow is Monday that means right now its Sunday night.

It's. Sunday. Night.

It's Sunday night and I don't have that crushing, soul-deadening, sinking feeling in my chest that I used to have every Sunday night for years.

Wow. What a great feeling to not have that feeling!

I'm retired!!

I ER'd just over a month ago. I wrote this last night, but in keeping with my rule about not posting after having imbibed, I decided to wait until today to post it. :D

It's 1:00am and I'm sitting here listening to some great jazz (right now "So What" by Miles Davis).

Suddenly, I thought: it's getting kind of late, do I need to be up for anything tomorrow? In fact, what day is it tomorrow? Oh yeah, it's Monday.

It's. Sunday. Night.

It's Sunday night and I don't have that crushing, soul-deadening, sinking feeling in my chest that I used to have every Sunday night for years.

I'm retired!!

Sounds fantastic! I only have 298 days before I can say the same thing... [emoji106]

It's. Sunday. Night.

I'm retired!!

+1 see my sig line.:dance:

Now THAT'S motivation! Yesterday, about 9PM, DW and I started bitching to each other about the day coming up called "Monday."

84 days...

Well, my life suddenly flipped last week. Work is offering a voluntary early retirement package. I had planned on working another two years but now think I will be joining the class of 2018. The exit dates are 06/30/2018 to 03/31/2019. Not sure which date could be mine.

I have a meeting with my Financial Planner on 3/19/2018 to discuss my options and best plan. This is going to be interesting.

Well, my life suddenly flipped last week. Work is offering a voluntary early retirement package. I had planned on working another two years but now think I will be joining the class of 2018. The exit dates are 06/30/2018 to 03/31/2019. Not sure which date could be mine.

I have a meeting with my Financial Planner on 3/19/2018 to discuss my options and best plan. This is going to be interesting.
Best of luck and I hope you get good news from your financial planner.

I had to pass on one two years ago. The stars just didn't align for me at that time.

This is going to be interesting.
Definitely.

When we fired our former "planner" and had a review done by a CFP late last year, he asked what our goals were.

I told him we had only one goal: to be able to retire asap.

Things got very interesting at that point.

Congrats! I’d love to get this type of news.

I’d guess that if you’re close enough to have targeted two years from now such a package would put you over the top, especially with the 3/19 date. Good idea to vet it with your CFP; let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Congrats! I’d love to get this type of news.

I’d guess that if you’re close enough to have targeted two years from now such a package would put you over the top, especially with the 3/19 date. Good idea to vet it with your CFP; let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Also you can run your numbers through FIRECALC in the meantime to get an idea where you stand...

After a management change last year, I spoke to planner then. He told me I was good to go then if I really needed to. I'm guessing this year looks even better. The big hang up was insurance. This package will give me two years coverage at my current cost. I will still have a few years to fund it on my own but every little bit helps.

I just want to have the conversation with him first before making my final decision. I never saw this coming. (Doing the happy dance).

After a management change last year, I spoke to planner then. He told me I was good to go then if I really needed to. I'm guessing this year looks even better. The big hang up was insurance. This package will give me two years coverage at my current cost. I will still have a few years to fund it on my own but every little bit helps.

I just want to have the conversation with him first before making my final decision. I never saw this coming. (Doing the happy dance).

How close are you to Medicare eligibility? I would think you’d be able to stay on COBRA for another 18 months after the two years are up. Not the cheapest, but guaranteed access.

How close are you to Medicare eligibility? I would think you’d be able to stay on COBRA for another 18 months after the two years are up. Not the cheapest, but guaranteed access.

I just turned 60 last month. I asked that question. Hoping that I could extend my insurance with Cobra another 18 months after the offered 2 year coverage. Nope. So I will have to figure out what to do for 3 years after the coverage ends. Not impossible, just something else to think about.

I won't know my exit date until after I accept the offer. It is any where from June 30, 2018 to March 31, 2019 depending on the business need. I'm trying to find out in advance, but so far, I am not coming up with a good answer.

I just turned 60 last month. I asked that question. Hoping that I could extend my insurance with Cobra another 18 months after the offered 2 year coverage. Nope. So I will have to figure out what to do for 3 years after the coverage ends. Not impossible, just something else to think about .

I’ll be in a similar position re: navigating the gap between Megacorp insurance and Medicare. My FP suggested asking the carrier if you can stay on the plan after the prescribed period. Not at all a given that they’ll agree, but he told me that sometimes they do. I’m not counting on it, but I’m going to at least ask the question.

I told my boss last week than I plan to retire sometime this fall. Reiterated what a team player I am and how I wanted to hang around to pull my weight on a big project.

He told me not to tell anyone else, yet. I suspect he may be working on getting me a little something to induce me to not stay and speak my mind every single time I see someone doing something stupid. :) I'd jump out that window in a second.

I pulled the ripcord yesterday.

My (tiny) bonus was paid 10 days ago, and my boss got back from his vacation on Thursday, so I scheduled the meeting for yesterday. It was very cordial and professional, without any of the drama I feared.

The final date hasn’t been set yet; he knows my preference for no later than 5/31. He wants to speak with his bosses and see what makes sense for Megacorp, and we’ll make the final call then.

I don’t really feel any different, perhaps because I made the decision so long ago. I think that will change once I start telling people ‘I’m retiring’.

I just hope the chute opens...[emoji39]

Last edited:
Like the analogy, ears! Congratulations on another step in Zero Year.

Last week I finished my final big project for my organization (other than making payments to people and vendors). It went well, but I was immediately afterwards struck down with my first migraine in 6 months, and it was a bad one. Completely stress-related. I'm saying goodbye to migraines, too, I hope. My body, mind, and soul are all in agreement, "Get Thee Out."

Maybe now I can implement my original plan of taking Wednesdays off during Zero Year. Hasn't worked out too well yet, but there's still time.

I pulled the ripcord yesterday.

My (tiny) bonus was paid 10 days ago, and my boss got back from his vacation on Thursday, so I scheduled the meeting for yesterday. It was very cordial and professional, without any of the drama I feared.

The final date hasn’t been set yet; he knows my preference for no later than 5/32. He wants to speak with his bosses and see what makes sense for Megacorp, and we’ll make the final call then.

I don’t really feel any different, perhaps because I made the decision so long ago. I think that will change once I start telling people ‘I’m retiring’.

I just hope the chute opens...[emoji39]

5/32? May, 14 years from now? June 1? It is all good. :)

DW pulled the ripcord yesterday. Stuff is getting real. I have not. I'm wait to see some moves Megacorp makes, waiting for the mythical buy-out I'll never get. :( I'll announce in April.

Congratulations Ears! Glad to hear that it hasn't been overly dramatic. It can be nice when you work with adults sometimes :)

5/32? May, 14 years from now? June 1? It is all good. :)

DW pulled the ripcord yesterday. Stuff is getting real. I have not. I'm wait to see some moves Megacorp makes, waiting for the mythical buy-out I'll never get. :( I'll announce in April.

There’s one in every crowd...nothing like typing with sausage fingers! [emoji38]

I’m half hoping they’ll ask me to stay on through the summer; I’ll want a year of vesting service in return. I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks to all for the good wishes! It’s all very real now... :dance:

Congrats ears20! [emoji106]

With each passing month my timeline grows shorter. I’m still expecting MegaCorp to have a RIF in the next month or two. I continue to hear rumblings but nothing definitive yet...

Back
Top Bottom