Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #281
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I'm in tech, and if I got that [severance offer], I'd be gone so fast. Tech doesn't give a flip about anyone over 50. Just leave. I dream about that kind of offer. My megacorp gave those 10 years ago, but stopped. Now, they just try to get you to leave, or if push comes to shove, they give 3 months.

I'm going to leave. In May.

But, yeah, I totally understand your "grief" comment. I do! I'm grieving my career. I know I could do more. For less even. But geez, Megacorp just doesn't make it easy.

<etc>
I sit here employed, and riding on a train in a tunnel with this light at the end. The light is getting bright, and it is getting scary! 3 months away. WOAH! Can I do this?
JoeWras,

I'm with you on wishing I could get a nice severance offer!

I want to tell you that even though I've only been on this forum for a few months, I've enjoyed reading your posts in this thread which have been ongoing since you started it 5 years ago. I know you have been dreaming about FIRE for a long time and have often been frustrated at Megacorp. It's great to see that you are finally within a few months.

I'm in the Tech field as well, but as a developer. I have the impression that you're a manager. I've avoided going into management, partly because I didn't want the stress and bureaucracy there. I don't feel too stressed about my job, but it can be tedious. It *is* a job and I would prefer to have all the free time from RE. Now that I'm getting close, I'm just finding it harder to do my work every day - I find myself daydreaming that in just over a couple more months, I won't have to do this anymore but I can enjoy a lot more free time.

I'm now targeting May 1 as my last day. From what I gather from your posts, I think I will beat you out the door by a couple weeks. Hopefully you and I will both be enjoying ourselves in June!
ILikeStarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 02:27 AM   #282
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Upper management let a great manager go yesterday with no good reason. It's better to retire on my terms.
Exactly so! Having been ‘exited’ from jobs twice in my career, it matters to me that I retire in my own terms, having done proper succession planning and leaving my team in a good state.

Me and DW have about ten weeks to go now (04/27.) And we became grandparents last Thursday!
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestartrek View Post
JoeWras,

I'm with you on wishing I could get a nice severance offer!

I want to tell you that even though I've only been on this forum for a few months, I've enjoyed reading your posts in this thread which have been ongoing since you started it 5 years ago. I know you have been dreaming about FIRE for a long time and have often been frustrated at Megacorp. It's great to see that you are finally within a few months.

I'm in the Tech field as well, but as a developer. I have the impression that you're a manager. I've avoided going into management, partly because I didn't want the stress and bureaucracy there. I don't feel too stressed about my job, but it can be tedious. It *is* a job and I would prefer to have all the free time from RE. Now that I'm getting close, I'm just finding it harder to do my work every day - I find myself daydreaming that in just over a couple more months, I won't have to do this anymore but I can enjoy a lot more free time.

I'm now targeting May 1 as my last day. From what I gather from your posts, I think I will beat you out the door by a couple weeks. Hopefully you and I will both be enjoying ourselves in June!
I am a developer. But you know, Megacorp says "everyone is a leader." Blah, blah, blah. We have all these developers telling each other what to do. Seriously. Megacorp has decided over the last 15 years to have all new talent offshore, so onshore developers seem to spend time looking good and telling each other what to do. There is no new talent to actually lead and nurture. It is a strange game.

On top of that, we identify issues, and they require resources (either people, time or equipment) and there's no power to do anything about it. When we press, we're basically told the same thing: "You are a leader, just fix it." Right.

And you are right, my immediate manager has it even worse.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #284
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
I gave my written notice . Six weeks left, only 20 days at work.

A very good feeling after 33 years at the same company.
Congrats! Hope it's all you dreamed of.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #285

DW's last day is March 28th.

My brother's last day is June 1st.

My last day is not exact yet...but will be in October this year.

Hat Trick!!!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #286

Well, I told my boss today I was leaving in the summer. I was planning to tell her next week. But, as it turned out, she is getting a promotion and leaving around the same time. She told me this first, then I told her. I think we both expected the other to be devastated, and due to our mutual departures, that didn't happen, lol! That makes the transition easier, as the organization will probably hold everything in abeyance pending reorganization - which means I won't have to conduct much in terms of planning for next year. And my boss won't be hyper about my getting every single procedure and loose end in order.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #287
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just a wrap up. I interviewed and got offered the job at a significant increase on base from 210 to 230. Perk pack at 15(Auto allowance & welfare expense) IC & LTIP of 180. I took the offer and my new plan is to complete major goals of the job, get DW used to tighter money and solve for health insurance cost with the additional pay from now until mid 2019. I would have to work to end of ‘21 to get retiree hc and that’s too long to wait. Thanks to advice on here, I realized more diligence was needed on readiness to RE.
ClayMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #288
Recycles dryer sheets

Three years to retiree healthcare is nothing! Totally worth it!! I've been working 8+ years toward retiree healthcare at a job I'm overqualified for and as such get treated like crap by 'less gifted' [insert eye roll here ] colleagues. Still worth it!! Can't wait to leave the dopes at the job behind. To have cover for the risk of the cost of healthcare is big. I found my retiree plan is good enough and cheap enough that I plan to keep it over Medicare Part B, the part you pay for that isn't drugs. Things to think about.... Good plan, IMO.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

12 weeks. It is getting real. I have to say, I wake up both excited, and also with a little pit in my stomach. I mean, am I really going to do this?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #290

I always think of the worst case scenario. You are quitting a job you hate because you have enough money that you don't have to do it anymore. So if you decide you hate retirement or the market goes down, you can always get another job. You didn't want the old one back anyway did you? And you don't have to make anywhere near as much money- you can take a job- IF you want to, just cause you like it and it doesn't even have to pay well. And if you don't like THAT job, you can quit that one too!

I wish I could take my own advice- Ha
Old 03-02-2018, 03:56 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
12 weeks. It is getting real. I have to say, I wake up both excited, and also with a little pit in my stomach. I mean, am I really going to do this?
It will be one of the best things you have ever done. Don't back off.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #292
Recycles dryer sheets

Yay! Last two months for me and DW! Eight weeks to go.

We’re having different “wind down” experiences. Me - my successor has been selected and I’ve been passing most of my tasks to him, leaving me happily under employed. Love it!

DW on the other hand is being beasted to complete all manner of (unnecessary) projects because they’re scared that no one after her can do them - they will just have to cope....

Roll on 04/27!

Best wishes to all my fellow 2018 retirees!
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. Needed a booster shot!

Funny thing. I love home improvement. I don't necessarily want to dabble in retail. But, I have a friend who ERd from another company and works PT at one of the home improvement big boxes and loves it.

Back up plan for rice and beans money, should it come to that. It won't though.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #294
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I’m having the same emotions, Joe. I’ll be telling my boss next week about my 4/30 retirement. I liken it to the feeling I had when I went whitewater rafting over a 20’ waterfall: extremely excited to do it, but more than a little nervous, too.

I keep telling myself that the plan was solid last summer, and I’m 18% better off than I was then. I also know I have some options to bring in some income through PT w*rk if it looks to be necessary.

Hold steady and keep the faith...!
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
In the Class of 2018
Old 03-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #295
Recycles dryer sheets

In the Class of 2018

I too have set a firm ER date of 5/15/18, after 42 years of full-time career work. DW retired last May (and is a few years older than my 63.5 year age). We can finally spend some significant time together, and apart, that doesn't involve w*rk.
No turning back for me - I can taste the freedom, and won't miss another summer, like I have missed essentially since 1976.
Go Class of 2018 !!!
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #296
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave unofficial/verbal notice today when my supervisor came by to schedule a goals discussion. Planning on exit 5/4/18, but want to be sure they can get someone onto my project by then, as the end of May things will heat up and they need to be up to speed. Also want him to give any raise allocated to me to someone else, as I'll be out before it hits anyway and he only gets so much budget.

Slightly stomach churning, but I'm about 25% over what I figured I would need due to the past year's returns (partly because we have once per year appraisal of the company stock price that came out last week - up 35% this year!), so even with the current volatility, I'm pretty comfortable. Currently dumping 50% into 401k to try to hit the max for the year by departure (already banked the annual matching money as of this morning's paycheck!) so I can easily manage IRA conversions and taxes this year for ACA plans if need be.

Exciting times for all!
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #297

It IS so exciting! I've actually STOPPED dumping money into my 401k because my FA and I are planning that I will live off some savings and sick leave payout for the 5 months after 8/1, and not draw on my retirement savings until 2019. So I'm putting money into my plain vanilla savings account for now. But, just got a (modest) check for my part in the sale of my parents' home, and that is going to get the savings account up to what I need, the emergency savings account filled again, and my new car paid off. Once that is done, I will see what spending more freely feels like! I have a fall trip planned already, am sending a deposit this weekend. It feels like intermission before the Third Act right now!

PS: What do you call an emergency savings account after retirement? Previously it was the "replacement job earnings" account. Now does it become the "supplement-in-case-of-market-downturn" account?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #298
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m 4 weeks out. I’ll be FIRE at 46.

Anyone have a final days at work checklist? I feel like I only know that I’ll send an email to work colleagues with new contact information.
green night is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2018
Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 AM   #299
Full time employment: Posting here.

Class of 2018

Quote:
I’m 4 weeks out. I’ll be FIRE at 46.

Anyone have a final days at work checklist? I feel like I only know that I’ll send an email to work colleagues with new contact information.

Make sure you’ve downloaded any contacts you want to keep into your private address book.

Are there any emails or documents that you’d rather not have anyone see after you go? Delete now.

Are there any emails or documents that might conceivably be useful to you later? Thumb drive (yeah I know they aren’t really your property but...)

Are there any project loose ends that could spur an unwanted phone call later? Do a handover document while you’re still getting paid.

Say goodbye privately to people whom you like but you won’t want to see again so you don’t feel like there’s unfinished business.

Go through your pockets for any unclaimed expense receipts - you have only one last shot at reimbursement.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #300
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Same thing here. I have reworked my numbers so many times I know that they are solid. Still however there is that part of me saying OMG this is for real. And you are so much closer than I am. I can’t imagine what you must be going through...[emoji15]