Class of 2018

I am class of 2018 as well - in early January. There is a rule that I must be employed on December 31st to receive a 10% bonus as well as a 15% contribution to my 401K.

There was a time when I thought I would stay until 2024 - just to get my employee discount for the rest of my life. I decided I didn't really need that.

Then, I was thinking 2019 - just to get an extra 30 days off with pay that year. Decided I would really rather be retired :cool:

I think I will be in this class too. I'm 44 shooting for a number and expect to hit it pretty soon. Probably late 2017, and then I will want to max out my 401k one more time before I quit to more or less erase that last years earnings. So probably about this time 2018. I thought i would wait till the company retirement package, but it isn't available till 2020 and I don't know if I will make it that long.

Bumping up this thread.
How is everyone doing? Still on track to be Class of 2018? Any others joining the Class?
It can't get here soon enough for me!

ME!

10/2018 --- on schedule!

We only waiting until then because the admiral will get a $500/mo medical insurance subsidy until 65 years old from her work if she hangs in there until she's 55.

Looking at May 1, 2018 right now. That's the plan.

Megacorp rumors are running wild of a package. If so, it could be earlier.

I'm pretty much going crazy and can't wait either. Hoping for true rumors.

I've had to slip from Jan 6 2018 to Apr 28 2018 but otherwise am still on track for 2018.

I am here as a somewhat Class of 2016 failure. I switched to part-time instead of full retirement in July 2016. My plan now is to work P/T until early 2018, March 1st sounds like a good target date for now, I will be 54.

Over in Class of 2016 thread they had a nice chart that lists everyone and has their retirement date and (age). I will start one with what is known so far, everyone can copy and then fill in your new data as more Class of 2018 members sign up or some 2018 members determine more exact dates. Let's keep this rolling and filling up:

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
timo2 4/28 (65)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow

November

December

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
timo2 4/28 (65)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December

I am adding myself to 2018 (maybe April 1st). This is my first official guestimate. I still plan to work part time for myself for fun money & a cushion. I consider it a big jump though, retiring from inflexible, full time employment on someone else's terms to having full control over my time. I will miss the health insurance though.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
Dreaming of Freedom 4/1 (41)
timo2 4/28 (65)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December

I am joining this class! OMY from the class of 2017. My date is 5/31/18. It will be here soon! :dance:
Hey beagle, welcome.

Not sure if it matters in your case, but the reason I am 5/1 instead of 5/31 is to get a month of health insurance paid by megacorp. Turns out in my case you get the full month if you make one day. How about you? Can I convince you to ratchet it back 30 days and join me? :)

I'm secretly hoping that Megacorp instead offers me a package to get me to the class of 2016, but that's another story... The plan is still 5/1/16 as of right now.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Thanks! My DH will be eligible for retiree health care benefits and Medicare (for him) when we retire at the end of the May so I can't move it up but I will be appropriately jealous of you for the month of May, I promise!

This Year Will Stick!

Officially changing to the Class of 2018. Shooting for April 30th and 46 years old.

Plans from several years ago had a target of 2016, then 2017. The numbers are more clear now with only about 21 months left to go. Still debating if I will request a 12 month sabbatical, or quit outright. A sabbatical would provide a back-up plan in case of unexpected results in the first year. However, while sabbaticals are listed in the megacorp HR manual I have never actually heard of anyone actually taking one.

Omalley

For new members and new replies, copy forward and add your info to the list. I updated the recent replies, the list below is current now:

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
timo2 4/28 (65)
Omalley 4/30 (46)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31
beaglemom 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December

Officially changing to the Class of 2018. Shooting for April 30th and 46 years old.

Plans from several years ago had a target of 2016, then 2017. The numbers are more clear now with only about 21 months left to go. Still debating if I will request a 12 month sabbatical, or quit outright. A sabbatical would provide a back-up plan in case of unexpected results in the first year. However, while sabbaticals are listed in the megacorp HR manual I have never actually heard of anyone actually taking one.

Omalley

Not quite the same thing, but I was able to work out a part-time job at my megacorp. It is in their policy, but also is not real common. Not exactly sure why, but I was able to get it approved for me. I guess it sort of helped that I wrote "retire or convert to part-time in June" on my beginning of year performance form :D but it was not a threat, just a way to get the ball rolling and work through the administrative BS. I formally converted to P/T on July 1st. Loving my 4 day weekends/3 day work weeks now. My P/T is also a type of risk mgmt decision, it allows me to keep the health insurance, but also avoid the withdrawals from savings. Might not be saving as much, but letting that nest egg increase for a couple years longer.

So I guess what I am advising, you have to ask and push to get through the bureaucracy. Yes, it can feel like pushing a rope sometimes. However if you never ask then you know what the answer is!

I'm 2 yrs and $0.5M away from FIRE'ing at the semi-RE age of 60. Set my date at 07/15/2018.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
Rickt (58)
boilerman (57)
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
cat wrangler

February

March
Nunyaa
38Chevy454 3/1 (54)

April
whatnot 4/1
timo2 4/28 (65)
Omalley 4/30 (46)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31
beaglemom 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July
Dan4495 07/15 (60)

August

September

October
FIREmenow (58)

November

December

Hi all. 2018 was my original plan but I couldn't wait! I just FIRE'd 15 July. So y'all can take me off the list... Okay back to my nap.

I am still looking at January 2018 at the age of 52, but may consider September 2017 when youngest child ages off my health insurance.

Still on track for 2018, holding off on naming a month, but the project contract I'm on for the firm ends 4/1/18, so April or May are my current goal. End of a long contract like this, if there isn't a place for me at the home office, could end up with a layoff which wouldn't hurt in the least. Also, would get me out in time for the up-rigging for the summer sailing season!

I'm planning on quitting in Feb and offering the company enough time to replace me that my last day will be the day my kids get out of school. I have never spent a summer at home with my kids and I can't wait! 1 year 2 months and 22 days. Not that I'm counting, you understand...

I'm on track, but simultaneously ready to just tell the boss to "shove it" tomorrow and at the same time worrying about life after FIRE in 16 months or so.

This is going to be an interesting true OMY next year.

Still on track for 4/1/2018.

I can also relate to JoeWras. There are days (yesterday) that I just want to say "done". But on the other hand, we are really unsure what to do after we retire. Move to be closer to one child in another state, relocate in our current state or :confused: Lot's of decisions and discussions about how we see our next phase.

Exactly, whatnot!

Back
Top Bottom