Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Adding myself to class of 2018. Last day was yesterday, 4/30....
Awesome. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
kept me on a conference call ‘til 5:45 when i said “look today is my last day and i have to go”. Then i hung up and went out for a drink with my husband.
That really reminds me of my boss at my first megacorp job. She was a nice person and an OK boss. But, she had a hard time grasping some concepts -- like the fact that I was leaving.

On my last day, she insisted I attend a meeting with her re a big project. Throughout the meeting, she kept assigning me 'to dos'. I kept trying to give her non-verbal hints but she never caught on. I didn't want to embarrass her, but finally had to say "You do recall that today is my last day, don't you?"
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 04:12 AM   #462
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!!!! Just joined the ranks myself.

[QUOTE=BeachOrCity;2044539]Adding myself to class of 2018. Last day was yesterday, 4/30....kept me on a conference call ‘til 5:45 when i said “look today is my last day and i have to go”. Then i hung up and went out for a drink with my husband.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #463
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today, I jump out of the plane, with firm confidence in that parachute! Today is "Notice Day."

I frankly have no idea how the boss will react. Megacorp has had so few retirements since they've been sweeping the older people out on their terms over the years via targeted layoffs.. Somehow, I made it through the cracks.

The last retirements I saw were 4 years ago and they were treated well. Since then, management has changed. I really have no idea.

Should be interesting! Nervous? A little. Mostly, because I'm afraid they are going to try to pile on me! Not Gonna Happen!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #464
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aboard View Post
Added myself to the list. Next few milestones for us listed below.
My last day at work is Friday the 27th.
Vacation home listed for sale this week.
Rented home lease ends May 15th, full-time live aboard boat with 2 kids after.
Boat dockage ends May 20th, head north on Great Loop.
Spend Memorial Day weekend on boat in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
Should "cross our wake" in FL next December.

------------------
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February
GrandmaHoo feb1 62.5

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)
4aboard 4/27 (42)

May
---
Seaborne (39)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31
OnIslandTime 5/31
ears20 5/31 (57)

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
JoeWras 6/1 (55)
neihn 6/30
Jollystomper 6/29

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity (60)
[/QUOTE]
We have discussed doing two years on a live aboard when we RE, and do the Great Loop as well. Would love to hear about your adventure when you pass through Florida, as you will pass right by our canal.
Rowej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:04 AM   #465
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Today, I jump out of the plane, with firm confidence in that parachute! Today is "Notice Day."

I frankly have no idea how the boss will react. Megacorp has had so few retirements since they've been sweeping the older people out on their terms over the years via targeted layoffs.. Somehow, I made it through the cracks.

The last retirements I saw were 4 years ago and they were treated well. Since then, management has changed. I really have no idea.

Should be interesting! Nervous? A little. Mostly, because I'm afraid they are going to try to pile on me! Not Gonna Happen!
Let us know he w it goes!
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #466

Quote:
Great to hear - esp that you are able to go out on your terms.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #467
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a great list. I might add:

Is you cell phone company provided? You may want to inquire about porting the number to your new phone. It's kind of a pain, especially if you are trying to port it to a different provider than the company. Even if you don't want to keep the number, it's a good time to start looking at phone plan options.

I knew there would be a gap before they hired my replacement, so I typed up a series of e-mails outlining where projects were in process, attaching pertinent documents and contacts of outside vendors I might be working with. I worked on them over time, but sent them all in a flurry beginning Wednesday of my final week. After the first couple, my boss emailed and asked me to remind him of my last day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Make sure you’ve downloaded any contacts you want to keep into your private address book.

Are there any emails or documents that you’d rather not have anyone see after you go? Delete now.

Are there any emails or documents that might conceivably be useful to you later? Thumb drive (yeah I know they aren’t really your property but...)

Are there any project loose ends that could spur an unwanted phone call later? Do a handover document while you’re still getting paid.

Say goodbye privately to people whom you like but you won’t want to see again so you don’t feel like there’s unfinished business.

Go through your pockets for any unclaimed expense receipts - you have only one last shot at reimbursement.
2lhasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #468
Dryer sheet wannabe

3mos retired now. Spent first 6weeks in Florida. Caught a baseball tournament (UVA playing in) while we were there. Caught UVA playing again, this time in Durham, on our trip home to Virginia. Seeing more of precious granddaughters since retiring. Right now sitting on porch drinking tea after late morning walk. I am amazed how busy I am, the big difference now is the PACE is slow and relaxed. And if I don’t get the task done one day, SO WHAT!! Adjusting to and Enjoying the lack of pressure - even at 3mos I still find myself getting anxious to “wrap everything up at home” on Sunday evenings before the start of the workweek ahead. Then I go, “ Oh YEA!” And fist pump the air when remember there is no workweek! Spouse who was already home all day has had no problem adjusting, we both love it. The only drawback at all is loss of my social support network and friends of many years. Working on staying connected and also other connections. Retiring is the best thing ever!
GrandmaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #469
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaHoo View Post
3mos retired now. Spent first 6weeks in Florida. Caught a baseball tournament (UVA playing in) while we were there. Caught UVA playing again, this time in Durham, on our trip home to Virginia. Seeing more of precious granddaughters since retiring. Right now sitting on porch drinking tea after late morning walk. I am amazed how busy I am, the big difference now is the PACE is slow and relaxed. And if I don’t get the task done one day, SO WHAT!! Adjusting to and Enjoying the lack of pressure - even at 3mos I still find myself getting anxious to “wrap everything up at home” on Sunday evenings before the start of the workweek ahead. Then I go, “ Oh YEA!” And fist pump the air when remember there is no workweek! Spouse who was already home all day has had no problem adjusting, we both love it. The only drawback at all is loss of my social support network and friends of many years. Working on staying connected and also other connections. Retiring is the best thing ever!

Very happy for you ! These are a few thoughts (slow down, no Monday's, etc) that I hope to remember come May 16, my first day of real freedom since 1976
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #470
Give me a forum ...

Notice day. It went well, with everyone being calm. There's maybe a bit of denial. I may give a few more days as a last kind gesture. Call it OMW syndrome (One More Week).
Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #471
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats JoeWras!! How much notice did you give?
whatnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #472
Give me a forum ...

Well, that's the only fly in the ointment. There's a little negotiating going on. An incentive, if you will. No, I'm not going to the OMY dark side. More like maybe a few months.

Still in progress. My notice is 5 weeks, but with sweetening may go to 12 or so.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #473
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to stop by this thread from time to time to read the stories, it's really nice to read comments of people so happy. I'm still on track for the end of July or first of August, I think. Have a major project just getting rolling this week and the next 8 weeks will be a lot of stress. I am really looking forward to August and find myself daydreaming about being on my own schedule, especially when I visit this site.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #474
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I sent in my 2 week notice yesterday, and I'm already slipping to June 1. Client asked me to stay the extra to oversee a key project point. I'll take a week off before Memorial Day, and this means that I'll get the extra paid holiday, about 6 accrued extra hours of PTO, and health care will extend to the end of June instead of end of May, so some nice tidbits for the extra 4 days of work.

I may have also just panicked an attorney that I called to let him know that I'm retiring, as the case I was deposed in as an expert witness last year apparently will go to trial this fall some time. oops! O:-)

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)
Coolrich59 1/31 (58)

February
GrandmaHoo feb1 62.5

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog and Mrs Poppydog 4/27 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/27 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)
4aboard 4/27 (42)
BeachOrCity 4/30 (53)

May
---
Hilltopper 5/4 (55)
Mcbraemer 5/15 (63)
SumDay 5/31
OnIslandTime and Mr. OIT 5/31 (59)
ears20 5/31 (57)

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
JoeWras 6/1 (55)
Seabourne 6/1 (39)
neihn 6/30
Jollystomper 6/29
akidagain2018 6/30 (56)

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Magwitch & Mrs. MagWitch 12/21 (39)
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniv
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaHoo View Post
...even at 3mos I still find myself getting anxious to “wrap everything up at home” on Sunday evenings before the start of the workweek ahead. Then I go, “ Oh YEA!” And fist pump the air when remember there is no workweek!
Love it.

I think I may have posted about this, but I still remember the Sunday night I had the same "realization". I was in my study listening to some music and having a glass of wine when I started thinking "I better call it a night, tomorrow is Monday". Then it dawned and me that I'm retired -- and I had the same elated response!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Love it.

I think I may have posted about this, but I still remember the Sunday night I had the same "realization". I was in my study listening to some music and having a glass of wine when I started thinking "I better call it a night, tomorrow is Monday". Then it dawned and me that I'm retired -- and I had the same elated response!
There is nothing better. see my sig line.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #477
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, that's the only fly in the ointment. There's a little negotiating going on. An incentive, if you will. No, I'm not going to the OMY dark side. More like maybe a few months.

Still in progress. My notice is 5 weeks, but with sweetening may go to 12 or so.
Congratulations JoeWras! It's been a long time coming since you started this thread 5 years ago.

My last day was this past Tuesday. Three days into retirement, it feels great!
ILikeStarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #478

Quote:

I will be interested to see how it goes. You've been waiting so patiently! Congratulations to everyone who has been stepping forward into a new stage so far! I think I said that I am basically part-time now, and after 3 work days off, I am ready for .... more days not going to work. It is a pleasure to work at my own projects!
Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #479
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's getting real! Yesterday we worked our last Friday (only half a day), the remaining Fridays will be whole-day vacation days. With 26 calendar days left until "graduation" day, we booked our flight to our island abode for the month of June!! We were both commenting that it is lucky that neither of us in the middle of any mega corp big thing that would be difficult to hand off...stress level is much lower than it ever was even for vacation prep.

Have fun!
OnIslandTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #480
Recycles dryer sheets

It is getting real. Only 3 working mondays before my launch date of May 31st. I will probably use vacation on those last three days of 29, 30 and 31st. First pension check will hit the bank the next day on June 1st followed by my last paycheck and about $25k of unused vacation time.....my retirement present to myself. [emoji12]

No anxiety. Some nostalgic feelings after 33 years but so ready for the next chapter of life for DW and me.

Updated the list with my May 31st date.

Quote:

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)