Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears20 View Post
I pulled the ripcord yesterday.

Started cleaning out the office a week ago, had the obligatory sending-off party (heartfelt and very nicely done!), and turned in my badge yesterday. It still doesnít seem real - Iím technically on vacation through the end of June - but Iíve won the race. Today is the first day of the rest of my life...

...and I hope the chute opens!

Congrats. The chute will open.
Retired at the same age last year. Felt good about it being before 60. Just one of those things.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #522
Recycles dryer sheets

Last day!
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #523
Give me a forum ...

Dang, I should have been with this May 31/June 1 group!

The devil is whispering sweet nothings to me here at Megacorp, trying to hold on to me, for no better reason because they can. Friggin' mind games on me. I'm standing firm at Aug 1 and WILL party then.

Next time I visit the "how much notice" thread, my answer will be 2 weeks, firm. Period.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #524
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's official! DH and I officially retired as part of the Class of 2018!

When my phone alarm went off yesterday morning, I deleted it!

I was thinking I would be a bit emotional, but my best work friend had to leave early and we agreed that was good since neither of us wanted to cry (we both "cry ugly").
I was in a bit of a mad dash to get out and get to our Retirement Happy Hour, so by the time a friend helped me get some stuff to my car and took my badge, I just waved bye and drove off with a big grin on my face!!!

Since we're headed to FL for a month, it has been a lot like the push before vacation, but when we get back and don't have that awful gotta-go-back-to-work feeling, that's going to be most awesome!!!

Congratulations to the other recent graduates. Special thanks to all the former graduates for your encouragement, wisdom and wise counsel. Best wishes to all the future graduates!

Have fun!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #525
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Started cleaning out the office a week ago, had the obligatory sending-off party (heartfelt and very nicely done!), and turned in my badge yesterday. It still doesnít seem real - Iím technically on vacation through the end of June - but Iíve won the race. Today is the first day of the rest of my life...

Awesome! Congrats! Hope they don't make you an offer to keep working!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #526
Full time employment: Posting here.

How were those first weekends, May 31 retirees?

Although my FIRE date is August 1, I'm actually going to be mostly gone by June 15, with a few more days scattered to attend meetings and clean up anything needed. That wasn't my original plan, which was to come in 2x/wk until mid-July. But I was strongly encouraged to leave earlier because a temp replacement is available now.

But, if I may be permitted a whine at this point, it's making these last 2 weeks incredibly frustrating, because I had so many plans for the open days. I am panting, clutching, reaching for things that I want to be doing, NOW, and it's postponed a couple of more weeks. The days are dragging more than I ever experienced before.

OK, whine over. It's a couple more weeks. A steady course. Make lists. Start removing my traces from the office. Drink.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #527
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I had a great day on Saturday, mostly spending time with my wife and dropping into a friend's 40th surprise birthday party. Yesterday was back to w*rk on the sailboat. I'm doing 3 days a week sailing this summer before my schedule is fully done, but yesterday (and hopefully today) was a perfect sailing day - 15-20 knots, gusting to 30, flat water and 70 and sunny. I think that it will hit more on Wed when I am off for 4 days. I'm still reflexively looking for my work phone and thinking about projects, but I'm confident that I can overcome this. have a great week everyone!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
But, if I may be permitted a whine at this point, it's making these last 2 weeks incredibly frustrating, because I had so many plans for the open days. I am panting, clutching, reaching for things that I want to be doing, NOW, and it's postponed a couple of more weeks. The days are dragging more than I ever experienced before.
Sounds familiar. I had a bunch of stuff planned for June I need to put off.

For those later in the class, repeat after me: "I will give a short notice and stick to it. I will give a short notice and stick to it. I will give a short notice and stick to it."
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #529
Recycles dryer sheets

8 more Mondays then 11 weeks of vacation and done. I'm not to the end yet but I can see it from here.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #530

June is here. I only have 5 working days left - Official date is June 30th, but taking vacation along the way.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #531
Recycles dryer sheets

In fairness, I planned May 4, declared May 18, and after client request, extended to June 1. The first extension allowed me to fill out 401k max, the second i was able to take one of the two weeks off, pick up a paid holiday, and extend insurance to end of June. It was worth it I think, but to be fair, I don't think the reality has hit me yet either. I gave my (non-company) boss months of heads up because I wanted to transition my project smoothly (it's public safety project), and didn't want to burn bridges. I was invited to come back any time and potentially could consider it on a project basis if my wife wants to live in Chicago for a period or for a project of her own. But i now have my freedom. Coming home from a perfect day of sailing today, I couldn't keep a damn grin off my face the whole way home. Yeah, I was paid a bit for today, but the sailing was perfect, I enjoyed the day, and it was a world better than making more money for less fun. One more "working" day on the boat and then 4 days off. That's when it may start to sink in. Stay strong, the end of the tunnel is in sight!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #532

I was hoping I would have a quieter last month at Megacorp. I completed my last project in May and provided 2 sessions on it, then my replacement (the person who should have been leading the project in the first place) would take over. However, Megacorp in their infinite wisdom laid this person off. Another person has been assigned, but is already saying no way can they pick up this responsibility in June, and management committed to several more sessions that they are now hinting they would like me to cover... but I have no plans to spend most of my last month on planes. I am gracefully telling them "not my circus, not my monkeys" . We'll see...
Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #533

Congratulations
Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #534
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
How were those first weekends, May 31 retirees?

Although my FIRE date is August 1, I'm actually going to be mostly gone by June 15, with a few more days scattered to attend meetings and clean up anything needed. That wasn't my original plan, which was to come in 2x/wk until mid-July. But I was strongly encouraged to leave earlier because a temp replacement is available now.

OK, whine over. It's a couple more weeks. A steady course. Make lists. Start removing my traces from the office. Drink.
So far it is great. I don't think it has totally sunk in yet, but I am really enjoying the flexibility in my day for any number of things that I need to do.

One nice thing I hoped to see is I am already losing weight without much effort by being more active and because of the significant change in my eating habits. Now I eat when I am hungry instead of because it's time to eat, which equals one light meal, one regular meal and a few snacks. My weight had been trending down over the last 6 to 8 months which had me at the low end of my normal weight range. But now I have dropped 6 pounds in 1 1/2 weeks and am lighter than I have been in over 25 years.

I am having dreams about work and some of my avocations like football officiating that I no longer do. They are clearly related to transitioning to a new chapter in my life. Not nightmares by any stretch, more affirming of my new course. In all of these dreams I am there for one last meeting or one last game, but I am asking myself 'why am I doing this? I am done with this."

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post

I am having dreams about work and some of my avocations like football officiating that I no longer do. They are clearly related to transitioning to a new chapter in my life. Not nightmares by any stretch, more affirming of my new course. In all of these dreams I am there for one last meeting or one last game, but I am asking myself 'why am I doing this? I am done with this."
That is interesting. I had my w@rk dream last week; for the first time in a long time.

It involves the part time job I had in college -- w@rking part time in a grocery store. The dream varies, but always has the same theme: I missed seeing my name on the schedule and am late for or miss my shift entirely. I have never dreamt about my career j@bs, but 35+ years later, I still dream of getting a call from the store manager asking "Where are you? You're on the schedule and were supposed to be here at 4pm."
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #536
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

congratulations
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #537
Dryer sheet wannabe

Laughing about your nightmares. My two retirement nightmares - I am a nurse - in hospital room taking care of a patient (who was a doctor I disliked) who had had a "total body skin transplant" (no such thing), and I had no idea what to do! The other nightmare my husband had, where I was late going to work, and he rushed to drop me off in front of the building in a boat (we were just back from Florida and boating).
Old 06-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #538
Confused about dryer sheets

Class of '18 here. Last day is Friday! And I'll turn 54 on Thursday. It was the company's decision on the date (re-org) but it worked out for me.
willatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willatl View Post
Class of '18 here. Last day is Friday! And I'll turn 54 on Thursday. It was the company's decision on the date (re-org) but it worked out for me.
Congrats.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #540

A little guessing game I'm playing: on my retirement date, will my savings+investments be at the highest level to date? A couple of months ago I doubted it, but currently they are on track to be. Nothing I am counting on, or expecting, just a fun thing to see what happens.