Class of 2018

Filing my paperwork Monday--although I gave verbal notice four or five months ago. I'll be happy to go and they'll be happy to see me go.

Congratulations Tiny Kingdom. Instead of signing paperwork, think of it as signing the summit register atop your favorite peak following a challenging, yet rewarding ascent.

Welcome, Tiny Kingdom. Think of what fun the New Year will bring!

Joining the class as of 12-21. Filing my paperwork Monday--although I gave verbal notice four or five months ago. I'll be happy to go and they'll be happy to see me go.
Welcome and congratulations! I am 5 1/2 months into my retirement and I haven't found the bad side of it yet! [emoji16]

My plan is/was to leave the end of this year. But, an interesting development has arisen. My company is being bought out. Apparently, we will all be put in one of three buckets:
1) Laid off in early November. I would get a severance package of 16 weeks salary.
2) Kept on for a transition period of 6 months. You get a 50% salary bonus for each month worked during the transition (payable at the end of the 6 months), plus the above severance package. The 6 months start early November.
3) You become a permanent employee of the buyout company.

Option 1, (my preference) is not likely to happen. Option 3 is not likely to happen.

Option 2 is the interesting one. Assuming I am working until the end of this year anyway, I would get 6*.5 (bonus) + 4 (salary) + 4 (severance) = 11 months salary for working the additional 4 more months in 2019. I really was looking forward to quitting the end of this year, but this might be tough to pass on.

Yeah, I know, OMM * 4 syndrome! I'll find out in early November which bucket I am in.

Last edited:
Well today was the last day. Turned in credit cards computer, keys, etc yesterday. Got a few nice emails today, the account access will stop tonight. I am officially FIRE. 37 years to the day from my start. I have been easing into it with an extended amount of vacation since early August. so far i'm liking the freedom. Its nice to do what you want when you want. I'm the youngest guy at the gym when I go go there at 11 am.

Tough one, camfused. However, I assume if it doesn't suit you, you can always bid them farewell as planned.

I have 2019 booked with projects and trips. Some of it, renovating and selling rental property, might look like w*rk, but since it's not a blog, I'm hoping the retirement police will still let me claim I'm retired. I'm spending spring break touring colleges with my child and taking a major trip with him and my 73 year old mother in June. Several other adventures on the calendar through the fall of 2019 and starting to plan 2020. I'm too busy to change my mind even if they wanted me to stay.

Greetings,

DW and I both FIREd this year: DW March 2018 and me September 2018. So far so fantastic!

My only regret is that we didn’t pull the trigger back in 2016. Seriously had no other reason to keep working other than the fear of the unknown. I’m so very grateful to the younger version of me...if only I had the faith to trust myself back then. However we did get to add some more feathers to the nest and we’re loving life now so no regrets!

Thanks Tiny. Although the money is tough to walk from, so many people are bailing in the next couple weeks (and many have already) that it may be not fun at all to work those 6 months, so I think I am 50.01% leaning to quitting at the end of this year. Even just w*rking November and December will be painful to be a megacorp.

I have been struggling with that as well... walking away from the money. But at some point I realized my sanity and health is worth so much more than the money. 51 days and counting...[emoji41]

19 January 2018 was my last day of full time work! My official retirement date was May 1st. It has been a crazy roller-coaster since then. I'm sure many would say I'm not retired, since I'm consulting, sitting on boards, and generally trying to help out where and when I can. But, with all of that, I still tell people that I'm retired as my hours are significantly less then they were and I find that my kids schedules dictate our lives versus time spend on projects.

On the money front: At 43 years old, it feels weird not working a full time job, some days I love it, other days I miss the hustle. With 5 dependents there is never enough money, yet, we have more than we need, so that is not an issue. I'm making more money now that I retired than I have ever in my life. I find that fascinating! However, I have an aging parent that is starting to become a 6th dependent. This has become a sore spot for me, as they are in one of my houses. Well due to their behavior, I ended up putting the house on the market. At times I feel like the worst kid in the world, yet, when I talk to them and I cannot wait for the house to sell (so much inner conflict their).

Exercise and time with the family: I Love these aspects of my life. I drop the kids off at school and go right to the gym. This keeps me on task daily and keeps my energy flowing. Being at home, and stable for the kids is something that is priceless to me. Hopefully, it will pay off for the kids as they get older too.

Vacations: We try to do one big trip per year with lots of little trips sprinkled throughout the year. It's nice being flexible to do this, yet, my kids are so darn busy we find it sometimes hard to do little vacations.

With all that, I would not trade where I'm at for the world... Ok, maybe the lottery for $1.5B....

Projects that I've become interested in, yet have not started:
3d Printing: I'm thinking about doing this with my kiddos. They will have to learn CAD, basic engineering, and programming skills.
Hydroponic farming: This just seems super cool to me. I'm thinking a tilapia fish bed, with strawberries on top. I think I would need a green house. So that is more $

Exercise and time with the family:
Best part so far. I have time to do it without feeling rushed. Long, healthy walks can blow a whole morning. So what?

Still working out all the rest but in no way am I bored.

My last Sunday Night

Getting ready to start my last week of w-rk. Announcement finally coming tomorrow about my interim successor; my team has been quite anxious about their new leader.

Still seems hard to believe that next Sunday I won't have an alarm being set ;). Still have enough meetings to keep busy this week, except for Friday.

Seems surreal but I am really looking forward to the next phase of life. Did anyone have their first week off scheduled out or mostly viewed it as vacation? At this point, I feel like taking the rest of the year off then start anew retirement life with the new year, where I start scheduling more activities and routines.

I FIREd in March of this year and am therefore 7 months in.

Initial impressions are that:

1. Love being home more to spend time with our teenage kids. That right there was the best reason of all.
2. I have WAY more time than I ever could have imagined. The first few months I was always in a hurry to get things done because this is what I was used to. During the summer I finally figured out if I don’t get to something today there is tomorrow.
3. Learning to be humble around others who are not as fortunate as myself to have retired early.
4. Have really enjoyed the investment and budgeting side of things now that I have time to do it properly.

2019 will be the year I get involved more in the community now that I have things in order on the home front.

Getting ready to start my last week of w-rk. Announcement finally coming tomorrow about my interim successor; my team has been quite anxious about their new leader.

Still seems hard to believe that next Sunday I won't have an alarm being set ;). Still have enough meetings to keep busy this week, except for Friday.

Seems surreal but I am really looking forward to the next phase of life. Did anyone have their first week off scheduled out or mostly viewed it as vacation? At this point, I feel like taking the rest of the year off then start anew retirement life with the new year, where I start scheduling more activities and routines.

So, Steeler, how does it feel now? It's Friday, post-work! And the rest of your life has begun!

Hi Pellice,

What a rush it was the last day, trying to get in the last goodbyes and to thank so many at mega Corp. Certainly had some emotional times saying farewell to those closest. CEO came by and addressed my department and kept the door open for me in the future for contract work, if I have trouble filling the days ��

Turned in my badges, laptop, keys, phone and left with music cranked up for my last commute home. Left a few hours earlier than usual and the traffic was still just as bad as normal... Chilled a bottle of 2009 Dom and enjoyed the evening with family.

I’ve noticed it’s rather difficult to keep this ever present smile off my face��. Really felt the change on Sunday morning, as I sat by the pool enjoying a nice espresso, basking in the beautiful sunshine, and not thinking about the work week ahead and the need to start reviewing emails. Feels like I can breath again, with all the stress of corporate life starting the initial thaw off of me. Still can’t sleep through the night yet, with the normal 3am wake up, but gives me something to work on.

Really enjoying my first relaxing Monday morning - woo hoo!! Need to go refresh my cup of Kona Coffee. I have so many things to do that I don’t even know where to begin. What a gift to now have the time to act on them. What a feeling!!

Steeler, what a great report! I agree with your characterization of the time you have now as a gift.

Hi Pellice,

What a rush it was the last day, trying to get in the last goodbyes and to thank so many at mega Corp. Certainly had some emotional times saying farewell to those closest. CEO came by and addressed my department and kept the door open for me in the future for contract work, if I have trouble filling the days

Turned in my badges, laptop, keys, phone and left with music cranked up for my last commute home. Left a few hours earlier than usual and the traffic was still just as bad as normal... Chilled a bottle of 2009 Dom and enjoyed the evening with family.

I’ve noticed it’s rather difficult to keep this ever present smile off my face. Really felt the change on Sunday morning, as I sat by the pool enjoying a nice espresso, basking in the beautiful sunshine, and not thinking about the work week ahead and the need to start reviewing emails. Feels like I can breath again, with all the stress of corporate life starting the initial thaw off of me. Still can’t sleep through the night yet, with the normal 3am wake up, but gives me something to work on.

Really enjoying my first relaxing Monday morning - woo hoo!! Need to go refresh my cup of Kona Coffee. I have so many things to do that I don’t even know where to begin. What a gift to now have the time to act on them. What a feeling!!

Awesome and congrats once again[emoji3]

My plan is/was to leave the end of this year. But, an interesting development has arisen. My company is being bought out. Apparently, we will all be put in one of three buckets:
1) Laid off in early November. I would get a severance package of 16 weeks salary.
2) Kept on for a transition period of 6 months. You get a 50% salary bonus for each month worked during the transition (payable at the end of the 6 months), plus the above severance package. The 6 months start early November.
3) You become a permanent employee of the buyout company.

Option 1, (my preference) is not likely to happen. Option 3 is not likely to happen.

Option 2 is the interesting one. Assuming I am working until the end of this year anyway, I would get 6*.5 (bonus) + 4 (salary) + 4 (severance) = 11 months salary for working the additional 4 more months in 2019. I really was looking forward to quitting the end of this year, but this might be tough to pass on.

Yeah, I know, OMM * 4 syndrome! I'll find out in early November which bucket I am in.

A follow-up: Today we all got our letters indicating which bucket we were put in. A couple of people were surprised by the axe, but most of us got put in the transition bucket (until August 2019, then we are axed).

So, I finally know. I will not stick around until August, so I will stay until the end of this year. About 8 weeks to go!

Camfused,

Those 8 weeks will absolutely fly by. It seems like two months is a long time, but if you haven’t done so already, be sure you get all your affairs in order because before you know it, the last day will be knocking on your door!

I thought I had done a good job planning for the exit but the last week (actually last week!) so many things popped up and many conversations with others took up more time than I scheduled.

My first week off and I have so much to do that I don’t know where to start. Trying to get an initial list started then will work on priorities. Not being in a hurry is one of my new priorities;<)

Gave notice a couple weeks ago (actually the day the market dropped 3 percent). Last day will be Dec 28th. Just barely making 2018.

So sorry to hear that for you and your family. It is a wise decision. The flight timings will be unknown and you cannot control scheduling them at optimal pricing times, so that is the best you can do. I hope all goes well for them.

Jollystomper...Thanks

Hey Erbragg1

Did you pull the plug on Thursday? Had you going one day before me on the latest list. If so, how did it go?

Unfortunately, I have decided to hold on for a while longer. I am concerned with the likelihood of a stock pullback in the upcoming year or two. I will reassess this time next year... good luck to you!

Regarding the reduction in stress: a month or so after my retirement in 2015, my wife said that she saw that ten years had drained away from my face due to having relinquished my stress! An unexpected perk!

-BB

Regarding the reduction in stress: a month or so after my retirement in 2015, my wife said that she saw that ten years had drained away from my face due to having relinquished my stress! An unexpected perk!

-BB

This milestone perk should come just in time for the new year - can’t wait to look 44 again:angel:. Now what to do with all my gray hair... perhaps it will reverse too?

Back
Top Bottom