Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 AM   #561
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, we are with you. Walking away same, Dec 18 @ 59. ��
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #562
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks all. I told my manager at megacorp yesterday that I plan on retiring at the end of the year, and to put me in front of the line if any layoff packages come up.
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Thanks all. I told my manager at megacorp yesterday that I plan on retiring at the end of the year, and to put me in front of the line if any layoff packages come up.
Excellent. You will be so happy.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #564
Give me a forum ...

Updated list. I added some of you who casually mentioned your plans so you are now officially held to it! I estimated a few too. And of course, Lagniappe gets an extra ribbon on the mortar board for that advanced degree.

2018 (date unknown)
------
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)

January
--------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)
Coolrich59 1/31 (58)

February
----------
GrandmaHoo feb1 62.5

March
------
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog and Mrs Poppydog 4/27 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/27 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)
4aboard 4/27 (42)
BeachOrCity 4/30 (53)

May
---
Hilltopper 5/4 (55)
Mcbraemer 5/15 (63)
DrBrisket 5/15 (49)
SumDay 5/31
OnIslandTime and Mr. OIT 5/31 (59)
ears20 5/31 (57)
Ed B 5/31 (58)

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Seabourne 6/1 (39)
sayhey24 6/7
Redduc 6/8
Lagniappe 6/11 (53) <graduate degree>
willatl 6/15
neihn 6/30
Jollystomper 6/29
akidagain2018 6/30 (56)

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
JoeWras 8/3 (55)
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------
Steeler75 9/28

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
68bucks

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Magwitch & Mrs. MagWitch 12/21 (39)
cnocmmz 12/18 (59)
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity 12/28
camfused 12/31
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #565
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Good luck! I did a similar thing, and though my management did not want me to go, they made it happen.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #566
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm finished working and am mentally retired. Not yet "official" by Megacorp - my last day in the office was June 26th, but due to having to work/travel a couple of weekends in May they gave me 3 personal days to make it up. So I am on the payroll through Friday, but not working at all (have said my goodbyes already and my email and IM returns "retired" if anyone tries to reach me.

My feeling? The late wrestler Hawk said it best:

Old 06-28-2018, 04:43 AM   #567
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so envious of everyone whose left or leaving currently. I was planning on June, too nervous, so now July. Maybe August....ducking, someone hit me aside the head. I've gotta go, no later than August. I'm getting out within this fiscal year, ending Sept. Trying to avoid draconian changes to benefits from the WH. Ugh! It's good incentive to go, now that I can. Trying to get less nervous, scooping up bigger checks know that I fully funded 401-k for the year. Gotta go, do stuff not inside a concrete building.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #568

Sounds like OMM (One More Month) disease. Fortunately, there is a cure for this...
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #569
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sounds like OMM (One More Month) disease. Fortunately, there is a cure for this...
I gotta say, all anxiety about leaving my familiar, high paying megacorp job melted away very quickly. OMM syndrome is such a sad and unnecessary form of self mutilation.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
That's a Wrap!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #570

That's a Wrap!

That's a Wrap!

Sitting here at my desk with only 3hrs of my working life left to go!

My DW is also retiring today - DOUBLE !!!

We were on the list for October since DW would turn 55, but in February, DW's employer decided they would no longer offer retiree health insurance benefits for new retirees So we figured - why wait?

We have been weekend sail- and trawler-boaters for 25+ years on far too many different boats. We have now purchased a used live-aboard capable boat and will be selling our “dirt home” in the next couple of months and moving aboard full time. Now this is true “downsizing”!

There will be enough continuous maintenance and repair issues with the diesel, electrical, and water systems that will keep my engineering mind plenty busy. We will cruise locally for a few months, get some projects on the boat completed, and then maybe down to the FL keys this winter -- chasing the 80 degree weather.

In the spring we will start the Great Loop (America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association) which is typically a year or more, following the four seasons. The Bahamas will be also be must when we come back around. After that, we don’t know -- or care !!

Drone picture from Memorial Day this year

I already smashed the alarm clock this morning.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 126_4674.JPG (412.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ScoutAnchored3 (Large).jpg (349.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #571
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
That's a Wrap!

We were on the list for October since DW would turn 55, but in February, DW's employer decided they would no longer offer retiree health insurance benefits for new retirees So we figured - why wait?

We have been weekend sail- and trawler-boaters for 25+ years on far too many different boats. We have now purchased a used live-aboard capable boat and will be selling our “dirt home” in the next couple of months and moving aboard full time. Now this is true “downsizing”!

There will be enough continuous maintenance and repair issues with the diesel, electrical, and water systems that will keep my engineering mind plenty busy. We will cruise locally for a few months, get some projects on the boat completed, and then maybe down to the FL keys this winter -- chasing the 80 degree weather.

In the spring we will start the Great Loop (America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association) which is typically a year or more, following the four seasons. The Bahamas will be also be must when we come back around. After that, we don’t know -- or care !!

Excellent.
Welcome to the rest of your life.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #572

Quote:
That's a Wrap!

Wow, that's amazing! Well done, sir.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #573
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
That's a Wrap!

Congrats! We have the same plan as you, however about 8 years behind you. Buy a trawler, sell the house, cruise the Bahamas and Caribbean and then do the Great Loop. We are lucky enough today to at least live in South Florida on the water, so we take our current 25’ center console to the Bahamas a few times a year. Just have to rent a house or condo currently since we don’t halve a cabin. When you pass through Hobe Sound which the Loop will take you through, send an email and will buy you a drink.
Rowej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:25 AM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowej View Post
Congrats! We have the same plan as you, however about 8 years behind you. Buy a trawler, sell the house, cruise the Bahamas and Caribbean and then do the Great Loop. We are lucky enough today to at least live in South Florida on the water, so we take our current 25’ center console to the Bahamas a few times a year. Just have to rent a house or condo currently since we don’t halve a cabin. When you pass through Hobe Sound which the Loop will take you through, send an email and will buy you a drink.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #575

Quote:

Congratulations
Old 07-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #576

Quote:
That's a Wrap!

Congrats, and welcome to the "There are no more Sunday nights" club!!!
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #577

My BIL, out of the blue, got a package from his MegaCorp. He’s 5 years younger than me and his blood pressure is off the charts. I’m jealous he will soon be out. I will however continue the course and hope I can hold up until December...
Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
My BIL, out of the blue, got a package from his MegaCorp. He’s 5 years younger than me and his blood pressure is off the charts. I’m jealous he will soon be out. I will however continue the course and hope I can hold up until December...
WestUniversity, a steady course.... I don't know how many times I repeated that to myself this past year. Do whatever you need to do to get through the next 5 months. Post a secret message to yourself in your office. (Mine was "Zero Year Plan." Exercise more. Exercise less. Do a countdown on your computer. Use visualizations. Although I don't resort to them, there's always computer games. Read a long and continuing series of books - I think that would really be a diversion, and if you haven't read them already, I recommend Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series about the British Navy in the 18th century. There are 20 of them. They are very diverting, informative, and fun without being silly. They could last you a good long time and prove a great distraction from work. Do whatever works in these last few months.

I went in to work for one of my last two days of work and just was worn out from grappling with the same old business as usual. Had some strange feelings of guilt at leaving them because they don't even know what potentially might happen - but I can't list every eventuality.
Class of 2018
Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #579

Class of 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
WestUniversity, a steady course.... I don't know how many times I repeated that to myself this past year. Do whatever you need to do to get through the next 5 months. Post a secret message to yourself in your office. (Mine was "Zero Year Plan." Exercise more. Exercise less. Do a countdown on your computer. Use visualizations. Although I don't resort to them, there's always computer games. Read a long and continuing series of books - I think that would really be a diversion, and if you haven't read them already, I recommend Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series about the British Navy in the 18th century. There are 20 of them. They are very diverting, informative, and fun without being silly. They could last you a good long time and prove a great distraction from work. Do whatever works in these last few months.

Thanks so much. I can tell you really get it. I actually already have a countdown timer in my phone that shows the days until I announce and the days when I’m finally out of there. I’ve had a lot of “lasts” lately, i.e. the last time I will have to do this task or do that project or deal with that deadline. I have also already written my retirement announcement.

Those have really buoyed my spirit of late. I’m in the middle of another huge last right now. The current stress however has resulted in high blood pressure and heart palpitations, according to my cardiologist (isn’t that something - I now have a cardiologist - ). That and I have occasional breakouts of rosacea on my face. Again all stress related.

We have a trip to Europe scheduled in the fall and when we return from that I will announce my retirement. DW I think is anticipating my retirement as much as I am. She has seen the toll the stress has taken on me and I think she is also seeing how having the end in sight has lightened my spirit. Thanks for the series recommendation. I just finished a great series and I am looking for another...
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #580
Recycles dryer sheets

4/30 was my day. However, I’m now being pulled in several directions. All worth it, IMO.

I have the FI part down, which is allowing me to decide if I want the RE, or to consult, or buy and run properties, or open a franchise. I’m all over the place! But, right now, I’m just holding steady and spending as much time as I can with my family.
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote