Class of 2018

Well, I may have to resign from this club (sort of). Boss at megacorp is saying I cannot take off time around Christmas (which I want to do to visit MIL that has cancer, and likely her last Christmas), and also quit on the 31st. It makes sense, from their perspective.

So, I can either leave on 21st Dec, or 18th Jan (pushing me into the 2019 club). 21st Dec sounds attractive, but I would be giving up about $8k pay vs the other date. 18th Jan is yuck because 4 more weeks (3 of which would be of w*rk), but I get the $10k, the weather is cold then anyway. And, I suppose a year or two from now I will not care that I went another 4 weeks, but will care I have another $8k. If I do decide on 18th Jan, that will be CARVED IN STONE, and not changeable.

Oye, so close!

Last edited:
Well, I may have to resign from this club (sort of). Boss at megacorp is saying I cannot take off time around Christmas (which I want to do to visit MIL that has cancer, and likely her last Christmas), and also quit on the 31st. It makes sense, from their perspective.

So, I can either leave on 21st Dec, or 18th Jan (pushing me into the 2019 club). 21st Dec sounds attractive, but I would be giving up about $10k pay vs the other date. 18th Jan is yuck because 4 more weeks (3 of which would be of w*rk), but I get the $10k, the weather is cold then anyway, and I suppose a year or two from now I will not care that I went another 4 weeks, but will care I have another $10k. If I do decide on 18th Jan, that will be CARVED IN STONE, and not changeable.

Oye, so close!
No worries. It is close enough to be noise, you just happen to span a year change.

I went through that too. First March, then May, then Jun, then early Aug, then late Aug. Some by my thoughts, some requests from management.

In the end, it is all good. You'll get there.

You can add me to the class of 2018. I retired on August 17, arrived at our new home in Florida on August 20 and have been enjoying being retired ever since. I can’t believe how fast the days go by. I no longer look forward to weekends. Every day is a Friday to me. :dance:

I’m fours weeks away from freedom. The time is starting to fly...
[emoji41]

So, I can either leave on 21st Dec, or 18th Jan (pushing me into the 2019 club). 21st Dec sounds attractive, but I would be giving up about $8k pay vs the other date. 18th Jan is yuck because 4 more weeks (3 of which would be of w*rk), but I get the $10k, the weather is cold then anyway. And, I suppose a year or two from now I will not care that I went another 4 weeks, but will care I have another $8k. If I do decide on 18th Jan, that will be CARVED IN STONE, and not changeable.

Oye, so close!

Do not sweat it. The time will fly by. An additional 18K for less than a month is worth it.

When I told Megacorp I was going to retire end of April this year, they came back and asked how much would I be willing to delay. I asked them what would it be worth for me to say longer. They made it worth my while to stay 2 months longer, even if I was on the road until 3 days before my retirement. They even threw in a very generous surprise bonus a couple of months after I retired, in appreciation. So from my perspective, it is worth doing.

January 1st '18 was my first day of retirement so I would like to officially join the list!

This forum has been a great source of learning what others have experienced and it is great to read quite a bit of wisdom from others that have FIRE'd already. 56 and 34 years in the Corp. world.

This has been a great year and i continue to adjust to my new lifestyle. I am so much more relaxed and health has certainly improved. I am still learning to slow down (de-programming from my MegaCorp life). Recognizing that it is OK to let things go a bit rather than having such a structured "have to get it done today" attitude. Much more time with family, a trip somewhere every month, reconnecting with old friends - all good. I still feel a bit like I am on a leave of absence and will have to go back to work - not sure when that feeling will go away.

I still have a bit of difficulty when asked what I do now with all the time. To me, the time flies and is filled with so many things that I have wanted to do but never had time. Hard to explain all that to those around me - only one of my other friends has retired or is even close to it. Still sometimes feel a bit guilty.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this forum. It has really been great to read so much from like-minded folks!

Can I join as a late add into the Class of 2018? Last day is a week away with December 1st being the first day of the next chapter.

Final day of work was yesterday. Very weird, but good, feeling. Nice departure. Day 1 was a round of golf followed by lunch with good friends, and then a family and friends party. A really good day. I figure week 1 will feel like vacation since it includes a short trip. Guessing that week 2 will seem more real. In a way it already seems pretty real without the company phone and e-mail tethered to me.

Can I join as a late add into the Class of 2018? Last day is a week away with December 1st being the first day of the next chapter.
Congratulations. You are in!

Final day of work was yesterday. Very weird, but good, feeling. Nice departure. Day 1 was a round of golf followed by lunch with good friends, and then a family and friends party. A really good day. I figure week 1 will feel like vacation since it includes a short trip. Guessing that week 2 will seem more real. In a way it already seems pretty real without the company phone and e-mail tethered to me.

That's the right attitude. You will love it.

JoeWras please take me out of 2018..Cancer care of DW’s mom will not let that happen this year. Looking at at mid 2020

Sorry to hear. Hoping for the best.

So true

First of all welcome to the forum jgriffter.

Having now made it to one month in the club, it’s amazing to hear that those feelings of being on leave and having to go back to work soon linger on...

I totally relate to your not “ have to get it done today” attitude. Time flies by even faster now that i’m Retired, thought it would low down some.

January 1st '18 was my first day of retirement so I would like to officially join the list!

This forum has been a great source of learning what others have experienced and it is great to read quite a bit of wisdom from others that have FIRE'd already. 56 and 34 years in the Corp. world.

This has been a great year and i continue to adjust to my new lifestyle. I am so much more relaxed and health has certainly improved. I am still learning to slow down (de-programming from my MegaCorp life). Recognizing that it is OK to let things go a bit rather than having such a structured "have to get it done today" attitude. Much more time with family, a trip somewhere every month, reconnecting with old friends - all good. I still feel a bit like I am on a leave of absence and will have to go back to work - not sure when that feeling will go away.

I still have a bit of difficulty when asked what I do now with all the time. To me, the time flies and is filled with so many things that I have wanted to do but never had time. Hard to explain all that to those around me - only one of my other friends has retired or is even close to it. Still sometimes feel a bit guilty.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this forum. It has really been great to read so much from like-minded folks!

Steeler75

Thanks. And congratulations to you on your retirement!

I was at a social function this past weekend and ran in to one of my friends who had also recently retired. He was also telling me that a number of people asked him "what do you do now?!" I told him I still get the question and still have difficulty communicating "how do you describe a million things that you now do in a simple one sentence response"?

He laughed and told me that was exactly how he felt when asked the question - I need to come up with a spiffy response that I can use to respond to this frequent question.

Congratulations! :dance:

Hi everyone, haven’t been around the forum for awhile.

Happy to announce my early retirement at age 55 on November 15, 2018! I closed my retail computer repair business that day and am now transitioning into focussing on other things in my life. My retirement is "semi-" in that I plan to still do some limited work out of my home but it is a huge lifestyle change for me!

Taking a trip to see family and attend a wedding in two weeks. Nice to plan a trip knowing there is no work waiting for you when you get back!

Last edited:
Well, I entered the one more month club in mid 2018 -- right about the time I was finally going to exit. I'm now targeting May 2019. Collecting a few more paychecks, and my 2019 401k contribs, funding the remodel of my country home. I'm comfortable with this strategy. I don't have to worry about overspending on my remodel this way. :) See you in 2019!

Well, I entered the one more month club in mid 2018 -- right about the time I was finally going to exit. I'm now targeting May 2019. Collecting a few more paychecks, and my 2019 401k contribs, funding the remodel of my country home. I'm comfortable with this strategy. I don't have to worry about overspending on my remodel this way. :) See you in 2019!

I understand, I am in the same boat.

Today was my last day at MegaCorp. It was interesting. Still trying to process it all. More later....

Today was my last day at MegaCorp. It was interesting. Still trying to process it all. More later....

Congratulations, WestUniversity!! I know you have been patiently trekking towards this day for a long time. I really want to hear your impressions and reactions and next steps. I can't get enough of those stories. I predict you will be so glad you are FIRED!

Congratulations WestUniversity!!

Welcome to the rest of your life - on your terms. Look forward to hearing about your last day too.

Been 6 weeks for me and it’s still hard to keep my smile in check when people ask how retirement is going for me :D. It’s hard to believe how busy I am, but a good busy, doing things I love versus things I had to do.

Congratulations for reaching this amazing achievement.

Back
Top Bottom