Class of 2018

I think that we have been fortunate as far as valuations go, but shouldn't expect the broad market to keep giving these sorts or returns. I don't think that the value of the broad stock market has kept pace with the price of the broad stock market. That doesn't mean it will drop, but it could easily go sideways for a few years without becoming cheap as the underlying businesses grow to match.

That doesn't mean I have any wonderful suggestions though. If you have leverage on, I'd suggest you take a hard look at what your risk tolerance really is. I'd consider increasing the amount of cash from 2 years to maybe 4, so that you have time to wait out a more durable market drop. I don't think that there are and bonds that are likely to yield gains worth the risks.

That said, I'm still very much long stocks, have a couple of years spending in cash, very little bond allocation, and if I weren't timing withdrawals from retirement accounts to manage taxes and penalties, I'd probably sell some stocks to zero out my mortgage, because right now a 3.875% return for 15 years with no default risk actually looks pretty great for fixed investments.

I can't really speak well to foreign investments, and have a very hard time trusting some of the value of ownership or shares reflecting benefit of operations in a number of locations. Other people can speak much more intelligently to that than I.

For what it's worth to the general economy, it looks pretty good for bouncing back this year, and even if the market doesn't crash, that may help soften any landing. I don't think that you're going to see a big recession, but I wouldn't bet on inflation and interest rates staying where they are for a decade. I wouldn't have bet that a decade ago either, but I'd have been wrong, so take all of it with a grain of salt - you might know better than I or be luckier or both.

Yes, I also retired in late summer and had forgotten that rather significant drop through the end of that year. It did have an effect, even just 4 months. But luckily the following year was strong.

I retired beginning of November and saw net worth drop 4% through the
end of the year - but it re-bounded completely plus a smidgen in Jan/Feb 19.
Since retirement, Net Worth is up 12.5% (as of end of March). Sat tight during the COVID roller-coaster and haver pretty much been utilizing cash I set aside right before I retired (to manage income for ACA purposes) --- so everything else has stayed fully invested. Net Worth has been impacted by some significant spending on LTC policy for DW and for expenses associated with purchase of new home ... otherwise would have been significantly better than the 12.5%

Last edited:
My take on retiring bad market times is a plus verses retiring in the high market times.

I retired in 2016 and people said they couldn't beleive I was retiring in such a bad time. Well, I did and and my feeling is I will be retiring on that up swing and that is a good thing.

Investors in worldwide stock markets lost more than the equivalent of 2 trillion United States dollars on 24 June 2016, making it the worst single day loss in history. The market losses amounted to a total of 3 trillion US dollars by 27 June 2016. By June 29, 2016, the markets had largely recovered.

Last edited:
I retired the end of June 2018. In truth the economy and market over the last 3 years have reinforced for me that my retirement finances and strategy are accurate, and despite the ups and downs our retirement lifestyle has continued as planned and has not been affected.

we retired in june, 2017, our portfolio of stocks/bonds is 36% higher than it was at retirement. We sat thru the corrections of 4th quarter, 2018 and covid 19 last year. Feel confident with a couple years of cash but not happy with bonds losing value. Thankfully stocks have done well so I expect bonds to do better during times of market distress.

Got vaccinated and eager to travel again. :)

We retired Oct, 2018. We've been withdrawing just over 5% since retirement and we are up 17% since retirement. This does not include our home which has went up more than the stock market since 2018. One more year of Tuition and we will drop to under 3% WR.

Back
Top Bottom