Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #721
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
Well, I entered the one more month club in mid 2018 -- right about the time I was finally going to exit. I'm now targeting May 2019. Collecting a few more paychecks, and my 2019 401k contribs, funding the remodel of my country home. I'm comfortable with this strategy. I don't have to worry about overspending on my remodel this way. See you in 2019!
I understand, I am in the same boat.
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #722
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today was my last day at MegaCorp. It was interesting. Still trying to process it all. More later....
Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #723
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Today was my last day at MegaCorp. It was interesting. Still trying to process it all. More later....
Congrats!!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #724

Quote:
Congratulations, WestUniversity!! I know you have been patiently trekking towards this day for a long time. I really want to hear your impressions and reactions and next steps. I can't get enough of those stories. I predict you will be so glad you are FIRED!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #725
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations WestUniversity!!

Welcome to the rest of your life - on your terms. Look forward to hearing about your last day too.

Been 6 weeks for me and itís still hard to keep my smile in check when people ask how retirement is going for me . Itís hard to believe how busy I am, but a good busy, doing things I love versus things I had to do.

Congratulations for reaching this amazing achievement.

Quote:
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #726
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations!! Only been two weeks for me, but so far certainly is great.
Chapter 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Done
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #727

Done

Not sure where to begin regarding my ultimate departure. Many things turned out as I expected, others did not, both in good and bad ways. To cut to the chase, the ultimate thing is Iím doneÖ at least as far as my former job is concerned. Now I have a couple of months of transition regarding my medical, pension, work related retirement accounts and other issues. For the most part all of that is simply waiting on prescribed periods of time before making final decisions and completing forms. Since I have already analyzed the financial impacts and made the various decisions for the respective plans, Iím simply waiting on paperwork. After having MegaCorp consume my life for the better part of 3 decades Iím sure it will take some time to fully transition to a life without MegaCorp. The retirement phase of my life has now officially begun. More to comeÖ
WestUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #728
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not sure where to begin regarding my ultimate departure. Many things turned out as I expected, others did not, both in good and bad ways. To cut to the chase, the ultimate thing is Iím doneÖ at least as far as my former job is concerned. Now I have a couple of months of transition regarding my medical, pension, work related retirement accounts and other issues. For the most part all of that is simply waiting on prescribed periods of time before making final decisions and completing forms. Since I have already analyzed the financial impacts and made the various decisions for the respective plans, Iím simply waiting on paperwork. After having MegaCorp consume my life for the better part of 3 decades Iím sure it will take some time to fully transition to a life without MegaCorp. The retirement phase of my life has now officially begun. More to comeÖ
Congratulations!
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #729

Is the Class of 2018 the last big class heading into a possible economic downturn? There are very few entries for the class of 2019 at this point.

This has been a helpful and encouraging thread and a fun cohort of classmates! I have really enjoyed everyone's stories!

Is this the final list?
2018 CLASS LIST:

------

Grumpyretirement

trapperjohn

datuck

Snoopy (55)

Lovetoski (46)

January

--------

chief04010 1/2

JeffinSeattle 1/2

Boilerman 1/2 (57)

OldPhd 1/4

Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)

ikubak 1/10 (55)

Jerry1 1/17

Coolrich59 1/31 (58)

February

----------

GrandmaHoo feb1 62.5

March

------

Nunyaa

elainejtm

JimmyV65 (55)

April

-----

whatnot 4/1

Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2

ears20 (57)

Poppydog and Mrs Poppydog 4/27 (63/59)

Tdv2 4/27 (54)

tmm2good 4/4 (58)

ILikeStarTrek (55)

4aboard 4/27 (42)

BeachOrCity 4/30 (53)

May

---

Hilltopper 5/4 (55)

Mcbraemer 5/15 (63)

DrBrisket 5/15 (49)

OnIslandTime and Mr. OIT 5/31 (59)

ears20 5/31 (57)

Ed B 5/31 (58)

June

----

Pullin 6/1

GaryT 6/1

Seabourne 6/1 (39)

sayhey24 6/7

Redduc 6/8

Lagniappe 6/11 (53)

willatl 6/15

neihn 6/30

Jollystomper 6/29

akidagain2018 6/30 (56)

July

----

54andChange (53)

68Bucks

MRC758 7/13

Dan4495 (60)

August

--------

Pellice 8/1 (62)

JoeWras 8/30 (55)

SumDay 8/30 (61)

HondoBob 8/31

September

---------

Steeler75 9/28

October

-------

FIREmenow

RoyDornoch (60)

68bucks

November

--------

Erbragg1 11/1

December

--------

Al18 12/3 (56)

Magwitch & Mrs. MagWitch 12/21 (39)

cnocmmz 12/18 (59)

tmitchell (50)

WestUniversity 12/28

camfused 12/31
Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #730
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3+ months in and I am slowly finding a rhythm. The holiday season does complicate that a bit.

We're prepared for sequence of returns issues. Looks like that plan is going to have to go into effect and hopefully the bear doesn't bite too hard.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We're prepared for sequence of returns issues. Looks like that plan is going to have to go into effect and hopefully the bear doesn't bite too hard.
As someone eyeing a summer 2019 retirement date, would you be willing to share any high-level details of your SOR plan? I'm thinking that if we were faced with SOR, we'd start relying on our cash reserves. Thanks.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #732
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
As someone eyeing a summer 2019 retirement date, would you be willing to share any high-level details of your SOR plan? I'm thinking that if we were faced with SOR, we'd start relying on our cash reserves. Thanks.
Simply put, we have enough cash to fund our expenses for 5 years. It will require continued spending restraint. And if the TSHTF on the market (50%+ drop), it would mean reeling spending back and going back to super frugality.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #733

Quote:
Simply put, we have enough cash to fund our expenses for 5 years. It will require continued spending restraint. And if the TSHTF on the market (50%+ drop), it would mean reeling spending back and going back to super frugality.
Thanks, JoeWras, and congrats on your retirement.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #734

Quote:

Ditto. We have sufficient cash to cover expenses for about 8 years. Should be long enough to ride out whatever might come, short of TSHTF. Meanwhile looking to DCA any equities I can pick up down the road...
Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #735
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations.

For me there was a little stress as I worked through getting the post-retirement medical, dental and distributions started - i had never retired before afterall - but nothing like the stress at megacorp. But after that life is good.

I have been asked to come back for some consulting work. I have put off telling them no just in case the markets scared me too much but I am not going back. I can't imagine surrendering control of my time to megacorp again.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
Congratulations.

For me there was a little stress as I worked through getting the post-retirement medical, dental and distributions started - i had never retired before afterall - but nothing like the stress at megacorp. But after that life is good.

I have been asked to come back for some consulting work. I have put off telling them no just in case the markets scared me too much but I am not going back. I can't imagine surrendering control of my time to megacorp again.

Sounds familiar. Senior management did not want me to leave and my supervisor broached the subject of coming back for some consulting work. I didnít say yes and I didnít say no. Like you at this point I cannot see going back. Perhaps down the road, but I need to unplug for a while mainly for my health. Iím sure all of the post retirement transition paperwork etc will come together, but right now itís something critical that needs to be done, i.e. a stressor, and constitutes a leash still tying me to MegaCorp...
Old 12-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #737
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congratulations!!!
Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #738
Dryer sheet wannabe

Done!

Done with MegaCorp today after almost 25 years. I'm 51, so I hope I have another 25 years to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Only a couple of people on my hall working at all this week and those were sent home about 2:00. I was alone in my office packing four small boxes. It was wonderful. Hasn't hit me yet, although I got a letter on Christmas Eve from my pension agency letting me know I'd be getting my first check 1-31-19. Looks like my timing is perfect for retiring into a bear.

Got my first comment last week that I was too young to retire from a lady in her 70's. I told her wasn't too young--I just looked amazing!
Tiny Kingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #739
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Kingdom View Post
Done with MegaCorp today after almost 25 years. I'm 51, so I hope I have another 25 years to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Only a couple of people on my hall working at all this week and those were sent home about 2:00. I was alone in my office packing four small boxes. It was wonderful. Hasn't hit me yet, although I got a letter on Christmas Eve from my pension agency letting me know I'd be getting my first check 1-31-19. Looks like my timing is perfect for retiring into a bear.

Got my first comment last week that I was too young to retire from a lady in her 70's. I told her wasn't too young--I just looked amazing!
Congratulations!!
Old 12-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #740
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Tiny!

Welcome to the club. There is no better feeling then come Sunday night and not getting the blues for Monday. Woo hoo!!! It’s been 7 weeks so far for me and I am busier than ever. Working on prioritizing still.

Enjoy the new year, and the new you!
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote