Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #761
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
congrats! How is it?
Wonderful ! Hi from Florida.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #762
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Wonderful ! Hi from Florida.
Welcome! I'm pretty close to the Florida line- we might be neighbors
Old 02-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #763
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyaa View Post
Still planning on March 2018....this is a placeholder so I can see how close I land.
Escaped on 4/30/18.
Nunyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyaa View Post
Escaped on 4/30/18.
Congratulations! Glad you made it!!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #765
Recycles dryer sheets

Celebrating 2 years of retirement!!!! Last day of work was 11/2/18. First day of Freedom was 11/3/18. First workday of Freedom was 11/5/18. Not sure which day I should mark as the anniversary... how about all of them? :-)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #766
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! My date was 4/16/2018 and I have had a great experience thus far! Enjoy the day....
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #767
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
Celebrating 2 years of retirement!!!! Last day of work was 11/2/18. First day of Freedom was 11/3/18. First workday of Freedom was 11/5/18. Not sure which day I should mark as the anniversary... how about all of them? :-)
+1

Same exact dates for me. I celebrated last day of w*rk last night and plan to celebrate first day of RE on the 5th.

Congratulations!!!
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #768
Full time employment: Posting here.

I celebrate my first full day of FIRE, July 12. The joy may not be as prominent, but it is ever present, and I can still easily summon it! The best couple of years of my life!
Old 11-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
Celebrating 2 years of retirement!!!!
Congratulations!

Today was the kind of day where I really appreciate retirement. It was in the upper 60s here, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Just a terrific day to be outside.

I went for a short bike ride and everyone one I met must have felt the same way because they all smiled and exchanged greetings as we passed.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #770

I know, Class of 2018 is well over. But I'm trying to get a handle on what kind of an economy we retired into. There have been such large ups and downs in the market that I'm pondering that issue of how this economy, the one we retired into over the past 3 years, turned out to be one that significantly affected our long-term prospects for good or ill. You know how "they" say that the economy's performance early in retirement is very consequential for one's entire retirement. My feeling is that it was for good, that we didn't take any long-term hit from the "downs," but whether we had a large trend one way or another, I'd like more informed opinions. There's also the issue of the divergence of "the economy" from "the market." 3 years seems like a good time for a judgement as to what the earliest stage of our retirement was.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #771
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My initial take is we retired at a good time, but not a great time. I retired late summer and we all suffered a pretty good market drop that Fall. So my personal start was difficult, but I didn't panic. If you retired year end, you have seen very little down since then.

A few things, though.
- If you stayed the course, your NW is likely up.
- If you panic sold during Covid, your NW may be up, just not as much.
- If you at least owned your home, then good, because real estate is whacked.
- If you invested in tangible real estate, good for you!
- Interest rates for savers (and bonds) is a concern for long term well being

Unless you went 100% into bonds and CDs, you are good and you've now burned off 3 years of the FIRE chart. Less life in us left to experience downturns.

All of this is great. But, well, there are some nagging issues in there like hidden inflation, government debt, etc. So although I'm happy to see NW up, I think hidden inflation is tempering it a bit, and thus it is somewhat an illusion. And, of course, since this economy is doing unusual things compared to the last 40 years or so, it gives me a bit of unease.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #772

Yes, I also retired in late summer and had forgotten that rather significant drop through the end of that year. It did have an effect, even just 4 months. But luckily the following year was strong.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Yes, I also retired in late summer and had forgotten that rather significant drop through the end of that year. It did have an effect, even just 4 months. But luckily the following year was strong.
I think the same for the COVID drop. Hold the course and we are OK.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #774
Recycles dryer sheets

My NW is up around 30% since the day I retired (4/16/18) thanks entirely to Mr. Market. I often think how I would feel if it was down 30%........Its nice to have the cushion for whatever comes next.

What I did not expect was for interest rates to drop precipitously in the past 3 years.

Mostly I'm glad I didn't have to work through last year - would not have been fun doing it all from home. I think our timing was pretty darn good.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
Mostly I'm glad I didn't have to work through last year - would not have been fun doing it all from home. I think our timing was pretty darn good.
I agree with you on this point. Glad I'm not working during the pandemic.

I'm not a social animal, but I need to get out of the house to work. That's just my style. I appreciate the ability to work from home occasionally to attend to a sick family member, or keep my small cold at home, or wait for an expensive package. But to do it 100% of the time? Blah.

Others disagree and that's fine. I know if I were a young person out of college, I'd go crazy working from home and not having those interactions with others at work.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #776
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that we have been fortunate as far as valuations go, but shouldn't expect the broad market to keep giving these sorts or returns. I don't think that the value of the broad stock market has kept pace with the price of the broad stock market. That doesn't mean it will drop, but it could easily go sideways for a few years without becoming cheap as the underlying businesses grow to match.

That doesn't mean I have any wonderful suggestions though. If you have leverage on, I'd suggest you take a hard look at what your risk tolerance really is. I'd consider increasing the amount of cash from 2 years to maybe 4, so that you have time to wait out a more durable market drop. I don't think that there are and bonds that are likely to yield gains worth the risks.

That said, I'm still very much long stocks, have a couple of years spending in cash, very little bond allocation, and if I weren't timing withdrawals from retirement accounts to manage taxes and penalties, I'd probably sell some stocks to zero out my mortgage, because right now a 3.875% return for 15 years with no default risk actually looks pretty great for fixed investments.

I can't really speak well to foreign investments, and have a very hard time trusting some of the value of ownership or shares reflecting benefit of operations in a number of locations. Other people can speak much more intelligently to that than I.

For what it's worth to the general economy, it looks pretty good for bouncing back this year, and even if the market doesn't crash, that may help soften any landing. I don't think that you're going to see a big recession, but I wouldn't bet on inflation and interest rates staying where they are for a decade. I wouldn't have bet that a decade ago either, but I'd have been wrong, so take all of it with a grain of salt - you might know better than I or be luckier or both.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #777
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I retired beginning of November and saw net worth drop 4% through the
end of the year - but it re-bounded completely plus a smidgen in Jan/Feb 19.
Since retirement, Net Worth is up 12.5% (as of end of March). Sat tight during the COVID roller-coaster and haver pretty much been utilizing cash I set aside right before I retired (to manage income for ACA purposes) --- so everything else has stayed fully invested. Net Worth has been impacted by some significant spending on LTC policy for DW and for expenses associated with purchase of new home ... otherwise would have been significantly better than the 12.5%
Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #778

My take on retiring bad market times is a plus verses retiring in the high market times.

I retired in 2016 and people said they couldn't beleive I was retiring in such a bad time. Well, I did and and my feeling is I will be retiring on that up swing and that is a good thing.

Investors in worldwide stock markets lost more than the equivalent of 2 trillion United States dollars on 24 June 2016, making it the worst single day loss in history. The market losses amounted to a total of 3 trillion US dollars by 27 June 2016. By June 29, 2016, the markets had largely recovered.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #779

I retired the end of June 2018. In truth the economy and market over the last 3 years have reinforced for me that my retirement finances and strategy are accurate, and despite the ups and downs our retirement lifestyle has continued as planned and has not been affected.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #780
Recycles dryer sheets

we retired in june, 2017, our portfolio of stocks/bonds is 36% higher than it was at retirement. We sat thru the corrections of 4th quarter, 2018 and covid 19 last year. Feel confident with a couple years of cash but not happy with bonds losing value. Thankfully stocks have done well so I expect bonds to do better during times of market distress.

Got vaccinated and eager to travel again.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote