Class of 2018

I'm in!

Pretty sure 2018 is going to be my year as well! I'm putting myself in December but might happen earlier. :)

Here you go, ears20 - Congratulations!

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)

I’m happy to report that I remain on track to FIRE as part of the class of 2018! My last day on the payroll will be 12/31/17 with my first day of FIRE being 1/1/2018.
With my accumulated vacation, my last day in the office will actually be mid-October so I’ve given my boss 90 days notice last week. For me, announcing my plan to my boss or co-workers to FIRE is a huge milestone as I have not told anyone at work of my intent until now. In the past, I’ve seen co-workers tell everyone they plan to retire a year or two in advance and I’ve never seen that news work to their advantage.
We’ve also sold our house this week and will be renting for a few months until we re-locate after FIRE so we have a lot of change coming up in the next year. But it’s satisfying to successfully execute our plan that was hatched about 20 years ago.
I’ve also had my moments of doubt during the past several years as I think about all the money I’m leaving on the table at age 57. I know that working another 5 years (or more) would add considerably to my future income and wealth. And I’m not being forced out at my megacorp or slowed down at all by health problems. I actually enjoy my job most days.
My thanks to you all, who have reminded me that our time here is limited and provided me with the resolve to pull the trigger and FIRE. Honestly, I don’t know if I would have been able to FIRE at this point if not for the collective wisdom of the people on this site. Thank You!
So I have updated the Class of 2018 by removing cat wrangler and moving myself into January.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
RoyDornoch (60)
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa

April
whatnot 4/1

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow

November

December
Cnocmmz

That is awesome. Congrats. As of now, I am still planning Fire Dec 2018 at age 58.

Here you go RoyDornoch

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)
ugeauxgirl (46)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)

Joining the Class of 2018!

This web-site has been great in many aspects and has helped my DH and I move forward with our plans.

My last day on payroll will be March 2, 2018 and my DH will be the first week of April, 2018. We started planning a few years ago and now counting down the weeks.

:dance:

Move me to July 1, please. Just found out I get paid for all five weeks of my vacation if my last day is after June 30. I can do that.

It's starting to get real. I'm less b*tchy at work because I know something they don't know.��

Move me to July 1, please. Just found out I get paid for all five weeks of my vacation if my last day is after June 30. I can do that.

It's starting to get real. I'm less b*tchy at work because I know something they don't know.��

Yes - that bit of knowledge is a great attitude adjuster!

I know several people here have mentioned how they find themselves thinking 'this is the last time I'll ever do (x)'. Even though I've been aware of some of those, they've never had an impact until last week. I was in a meeting regarding recruitment and staffing and it was mentioned that after adding an intern for next summer we'd be fully staffed.

It was all I could do to suppress my smile and refrain from suggesting they might want to be screening full-time candidates as well -!

This web-site has been great in many aspects and has helped my DH and I move forward with our plans.

My last day on payroll will be March 2, 2018 and my DH will be the first week of April, 2018. We started planning a few years ago and now counting down the weeks.

Congratulations, Elaine! I added you to the list. Now you can start thinking concretely about your first day of freedom! Do people know at work? Have your plans changed your attitude?

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)

I am Elainejtm's DH. I have 4-6-2018 penciled in as my last day. Only one person (long time friend, none of my actual co-w*rkers) at my work knows that spring of next year is the final date, Definitely has changed my attitude about w*rk. 38 years of megacorp is enough.

We will have to go up and introduce ourselves in the Hi-I am section.

I am planning on a 2018 exit, moving up my previous 2019 exit date. If the most recent voluntary layoff rumors come true it could be 1st Qtr 2018, and if not it may be 3rd or 4th qtr 2018, but baring an unforeseen financial roadblock, I see little reason to hold off until my previously planned Feb 2019 time frame. In fact if I am not RE by this time next year I will be very disappointed.

So put me down as unspecified month.

I am moving from August 2017 to January 2018, allowing me a flexible schedule working from home 2 days a week to ease into retirement. Guess I flunked out of class of 2017

I am moving from August 2017 to January 2018, allowing me a flexible schedule working from home 2 days a week to ease into retirement. Guess I flunked out of class of 2017

I wouldn't say you flunked, I'd say you're creatively transitioning. I'd love to do that. I'm worried about slamming on the brakes and how I'll feel about it the next day, and the day after that, and...

Hi everybody, new member here from the UK - hope that's allowed. DW and I will retire on Friday 22 June 2018. Not quite as early as I would have like - I'm 62 and it will be here 60th birthday. We reached FI a couple of years ago but DW didn't want to retire until her 60th for professional reasons, and I don't wait to quit work without her.

I've just been reading the thread "learning to spend after years of saving." That's going to be our challenge I think!

Hi everybody, new member here from the UK - hope that's allowed. DW and I will retire on Friday 22 June 2018. Not quite as early as I would have like - I'm 62 and it will be here 60th birthday. We reached FI a couple of years ago but DW didn't want to retire until her 60th for professional reasons, and I don't wait to quit work without her.

I've just been reading the thread "learning to spend after years of saving." That's going to be our challenge I think!
Welcome poppydog! UK? Sure that's allowed. Quite a few members from the other side of the pond.

And one of our active moderators has spent a lot of times both in USA and UK. I think they've settled on UK.

New member here as well. You can put us down for May 2018. We have a few debts to clean up, a kitchen remodel and some medical issues to put to bed. We could go earlier but my wife has a big work project finishing up in May and I might as well delay so we can retire together. I really love this site , it helps a lot to see everyone's plans and experiences. It has made much more confident about our retirement.

Welcome to the board, HoneyFill!

Please add me to the 2018 board for July 2018. (I'll be 62).
I was originally on the 2017 list, took myself off of it earlier this year. So OMY.
A few reasons for this:

1) I get to keep my son on my work health insurance policy until age 26 (he's an entrepreneur with 6 employees under him but no health care).

2) I get to pad my NW somewhat. I reached a level $2.55m NW ($2.1 plus 450K house paid off) where I am comfortable with a 3.5%-4% withdrawal rate - but I'd like to add some (don't we all!)

3) I am still so concerned about health care! There is an extensive article in Money magazine this month about the replacement plan and people's plight with pre-existing conditions (like myself) and how these people (some in the pre-retirement stage) are going to be impacted. So I'm also on hold until this whole issue is ironed out and we know exactly what the risks are. (worst case scenario - I go to 2019, when I'm 63 1/2, take COBRA for 18 months to carry me to Medicare).

I really admire all of you who retired or plan on retiring early. I know 62 is above the average on this website, but I feel young when I see so many co-workers aged 65-75 that I know that make great salaries, but were never able to put money away.

I'm afraid you're going to have to take me off of this one. revised date 2/24/2020.:yuk:

Nevermind. My job has taken a rather radical turn for the worse. I'm just not going to be able to last till 2020 I'm afraid. I'm giving the current miserable situation till after the new year to sort itself out, and then I'll make a decision, but honestly, things would have to improve dramatically, and I doubt it'll happen. I'll probably move back a month from my original date though- say March 25 2018.

This forum has really been instrumental in helping my wife and I evaluate our RE options. I feel 95% certain that I will be done June 29, 2018.

I took another step toward cementing my 2018 FIRE date.

I am about to kick off a new project leveraging a niche software vendor. This project has high potential to be a huge part of how we do business at Megacorp in the next 1 to 3 years. I felt obligated to tell my Sr. Mgr that I plan to retire in 2018 so he could take that into consideration when staffing this project.

He was surprised and was much more concerned with how to back-fill my somewhat unique expertise. It was a good feeling on many levels and I feel more comfortable taking that leap of faith next year.

Back
Top Bottom