Class of 2018

Get this, my new boss calls me in last month for a talk. I could not believe it, but he asks the silly question: "Joe, where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Me: "Uh, RETIRED."

He was stunned. Nobody retires at Megacrap anymore.

I love this- good for you, Joe. My boss asked how I was dealing with the new changes at mega finance, and I told him that I had put myself on the retirement list the moment I was eligible- in 2.5 years. (I didn't tell him I might not make it that long.) He was stunned- his mouth fell open. It was very satisfying :D

Joe, I'm curious, when you say "stunned," what did that consist of? Did the conversation end at that point?
No, it continued.

By "stunned," it went like this: his eyes got really big, and he said, "Really? I've never heard anyone say that before."

And for good reason. Megac.... has managed get rid of the 50+ crowd. Very few are left. 10 years ago they offered an early retirement and cleared out a group. That was respectful. Lately, it is just constant dribble-drab layoffs. Not respectful at all, and has really hit some people hard.

Anyway, we had a talk about where we are in life. The upshot? He admitted he's shooting for about 7 years to retire. We talked some more, and he realized that train's coming faster than you think. He's in good shape, and has planned well. I'll probably invite him to the forum when I finally announce it. :)

Interesting! Also interesting that he has planned well WITHOUT the self-knowledge that he "working" towards retirement. There is more than one way to approach FIRE. One is intentionally planning from the earliest age. Another is simply shoving money into accounts constantly, just on general principles (my plan - my mom's almost sole piece of advice was to "save lots of money). You, Joe, started seriously planning 5 years ago. I would put my planning period at 3 years. But the easiest plan, probably your boss's plan is simply to be quite well compensated so the path is clear.

Now, a separate question - does your boss realize there is a second part to retirement planning (and even more parts if one has a spouse), which is, what are you retiring TO? (although I love one of the threads on this site which says, "You can ignore the call of those here who are crafting the perfect retirement, and just chill on out."

No, it continued.

By "stunned," it went like this: his eyes got really big, and he said, "Really? I've never heard anyone say that before."

And for good reason. Megac.... has managed get rid of the 50+ crowd. Very few are left. 10 years ago they offered an early retirement and cleared out a group. That was respectful. Lately, it is just constant dribble-drab layoffs. Not respectful at all, and has really hit some people hard.

Anyway, we had a talk about where we are in life. The upshot? He admitted he's shooting for about 7 years to retire. We talked some more, and he realized that train's coming faster than you think. He's in good shape, and has planned well. I'll probably invite him to the forum when I finally announce it. :)

LOL, love it
I am at 18 weeks, still have not told anyone at w*rk yet.

19 weeks until I announce and, like you, I've said nothing. My Megacorp matching contributions vest on 2/1, and my bonus is payable 2/28 - so not a word until then.

Joining Class of 2018

Jan 26 will be my last day at work. My husband is counting the days for me. I am just trying to get everything done at work and will soon be orienting my replacement. Sounds like most of you are in business or education fields. I am a nurse and can’t wait to start my new adventures.

I'm waffling. This is partly on the altar of marital politics- my DH would rather I didn't. And partly, no matter how I figure it (even at a VERY conservative rate of return,) 2 more years means a million dollars. This is because if I stay 2 years I will qualify for a 4 yr retirement package which will offer me enough of a payout that I won't have to touch portfolio till 2024. And access to company health insurance till I'm 65. I'm arguing with myself though. We have enough. plus my DH won't retire and we probably wouldn't have to touch it anyway. Even if you just counted dollars, additional years of savings plus payout is probably $450k or so. Husband keeps saying- you're ONLY 45, but staying 2 more years means missing more of my kids- and everything else I desperately want to do. I am SO tired of being in a hurry all the time. I have earned the rest, right?

My job has gotten worse. I used to take Fridays off but due to a law change and new computer system at work, I haven't managed a whole Friday off in months. And another week like last week and I might be out of there in March anyhow. Ugh. This is so hard.

How much is that time worth? Like you, I could w*rk another year, get pre-65 medical coverage access, continue to build the portfolio...but I can't add any time to the back end. That time is more valuable to me than any financial incentives - as it sounds to be for you.

Interesting! Also interesting that he has planned well WITHOUT the self-knowledge that he "working" towards retirement. There is more than one way to approach FIRE. One is intentionally planning from the earliest age. Another is simply shoving money into accounts constantly, just on general principles (my plan - my mom's almost sole piece of advice was to "save lots of money). You, Joe, started seriously planning 5 years ago. I would put my planning period at 3 years. But the easiest plan, probably your boss's plan is simply to be quite well compensated so the path is clear.

Now, a separate question - does your boss realize there is a second part to retirement planning (and even more parts if one has a spouse), which is, what are you retiring TO? (although I love one of the threads on this site which says, "You can ignore the call of those here who are crafting the perfect retirement, and just chill on out."
The whole incident was really interesting, in retrospect.

I didn't know him well, and he was just "going through the motions," asking that silly 5 year question. No employee is *ever* supposed to say, "I'm OUTTA HERE" (for whatever reason) at that question. You are supposed to say, "I want to be at the next level," or whatever other swill and BS is the normal answer. He was expecting that out of me because that's what he hears every day.

Our business discussion changed on a dime to a more personal discussion, and we both learned a bit about each other. I found out he's made some decent money in real estate, and he started advocating for mega-backdoor Roths at the end of our meeting. He's been planning, oh yeah.

He knows what he wants to retire to (some sort of religious mission work). He knows more than I do. In any case, an honest answer opened up a mutual understanding, and we learned a bit about each other. I think that's why I won't just blindside him when I retire. This was something I really am tempted to do because of Megacrap's recent mode of operating. But my boss is just a victim of the machine too, and doesn't deserve it. At least, that's my thinking today.

Last edited:
That would be nice Joe if many of the bosses could be talked to. Too many cannot. The corporate thinking leaves employees with little more than broken promises and a lot of hot air.

That would be nice Joe if many of the bosses could be talked to. Too many cannot. The corporate thinking leaves employees with little more than broken promises and a lot of hot air.
I know. We've got the AC on full blast at Megacrap.

I've been lucky to have (mostly) bosses with brains. I had one particular one... well, I'll stop right there. Blood pressure just went up 50 pts. Talk about hot air...

I think this is the last list posted in the thread. I’ve added myself to the roster in December. I’ve already contemplated and writtten a resignation letter. Boy was that cathartic! Have not turned it in however. Will probably give 3 months notice.

Likewise as other posters have stated, in my mind I’ve been keeping a mental checklist of, “that’s the last time I’ll do that” or regarding the big projects on the horizon in my mind I’m cheering “well I won’t be here for that” :dance:

I have also begun to document all the things I do so that I can, “hand the keys” to someone else.

All of the above has greatly contributed to the reduction of my stress level. :cool:

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)

Adding myself to the class of 2018 - DW are I are on track for the end of June, but will maybe hand in the old laptop a week earlier if I have unused vacation time.

Unspecified Month
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)

February

March
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)

May
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
SumDay 5/31

June
Bigdawg
Poppydog 6/29 (63/60)

July
Dan4495 (60)

August
Pellice (62)

September

October
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)

November

December
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50
WestUniversity (60)

Adding myself to the class of 2018 - DW are I are on track for the end of June, but will maybe hand in the old laptop a week earlier if I have unused vacation time.

Welcome to the forum! I'm somewhat new here myself. Was in Glasgow a few years ago. Love Scotland...

Adding my name to the 2018 list. Thought I would be part of the 2015 Class, but OMY struck 3 times ;)
I'm turning 55 in 1 month and plan to retire beginning of July. This will let me deposit at least 12K in my 401K for the year, and planning on withdrawing 15K per year after I retire (along with withdrawals from other accounts).
Here's hoping the stock market doesn't drop more than 15% between now and then.

Late to the party here, but just finished meeting with the FA. Her analysis agrees with mine, so it looks like I'll be on permanent maturity leave starting June 1, 2018.

Fingers crossed....

Good luck to the rest of the class :)

Same day for me, barring a stock market collapse.

June 1 is popular. Mrs honeyfill and I are planning to go on that date as well. Unless I get a buyout earlier😊. I hear rumors of a layoff in January.
You know you've arrived when you get excited at the thought of a layoff. (Count me in on that group.) Sad, but hey, the only way to get a little bonus these days.

You know you've arrived when you get excited at the thought of a layoff. (Count me in on that group.) Sad, but hey, the only way to get a little bonus these days.

Boy is that the truth. The stars are not shining so brightly at MegaCorp these days. I would not be surprised to see cuts after Christmas. That said I will most likely volunteer for any cuts. There are young people early in their careers that really need their jobs much more than I do. The package I would get would negate the need to even be there next year...

Bad news, look like the January layoffs will skip my department. therefore I am moving my date back to April 2. I have to work till then to get my bonus.

Bad news, look like the January layoffs will skip my department. therefore I am moving my date back to April 2. I have to work till then to get my bonus.

The bonus date has been driving my choice of R-day as well. However, we just had our 3Q all-employee meeting and we were told how poorly the year was going (and how bonuses would be negatively impacted).

It’s probably not bad enough to trigger layoffs, and just bad enough to significantly shrink the bonus pool...[emoji22]

Sort-of poll on how you are taking vacation days

Since I've been carrying over 1 year of vacation days (all that's allowed) consistently, in this last year of employment I now have 2 years's worth of vacation days, a good number since I've been employed at the same place for more than 25 years. Most of my peers seem to throw the days at the end of their working days so they can leave earlier. My choice has been to sprinkle them throughout the final year, so I could almost achieve a 4 day workweek. Hasn't totally been achieved yet, but it felt better for me to hop from lily-pad-day-off to lily pad rather than leave employment 3 weeks earlier.

Your choices? What were the factors.

And, btw, I just returned from my final "big vacation" before leaving employment (I have plenty more vacation days, but nothing lengthy planned), and, believe me, that small grin has appeared. NOW, I really am relaxing about outcomes. My bosses weren't losing sleep over them, and I'm not either. I do my part and let them think about outcomes.

Since I've been carrying over 1 year of vacation days (all that's allowed) consistently, in this last year of employment I now have 2 years's worth of vacation days, a good number since I've been employed at the same place for more than 25 years. Most of my peers seem to throw the days at the end of their working days so they can leave earlier. My choice has been to sprinkle them throughout the final year, so I could almost achieve a 4 day workweek. Hasn't totally been achieved yet, but it felt better for me to hop from lily-pad-day-off to lily pad rather than leave employment 3 weeks earlier.

Your choices? What were the factors.

And, btw, I just returned from my final "big vacation" before leaving employment (I have plenty more vacation days, but nothing lengthy planned), and, believe me, that small grin has appeared. NOW, I really am relaxing about outcomes. My bosses weren't losing sleep over them, and I'm not either. I do my part and let them think about outcomes.
We have the option of cashing out our accumulated vacation hours when we retire. I am sitting on ~390 hours and get an extra 13.6 each month. We cap at 400 hours. I have been taking every other Friday off or sprinkling in a few hours here and there to stay under 400.

I planned to cash out the vacation to pad an emergency fund or pay off the car.

Add me to the class of 2018. Jan 1 is my first day of retirement.

I joined this forum yesterday and hope to learn from all of you how to not mess this up :)

Ollieman

Welcome, Ollieman - How many actual working days are left?

I added you and McBraemer.

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
seabourne (39)

January
chief04010 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
Ollieman

February