Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I'm afraid you're going to have to take me off of this one. revised date 2/24/2020.
Nevermind. My job has taken a rather radical turn for the worse. I'm just not going to be able to last till 2020 I'm afraid. I'm giving the current miserable situation till after the new year to sort itself out, and then I'll make a decision, but honestly, things would have to improve dramatically, and I doubt it'll happen. I'll probably move back a month from my original date though- say March 25 2018.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome back ugeauxgirl!
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #123

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

This forum has really been instrumental in helping my wife and I evaluate our RE options. I feel 95% certain that I will be done June 29, 2018.
beachfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

I took another step toward cementing my 2018 FIRE date.

I am about to kick off a new project leveraging a niche software vendor. This project has high potential to be a huge part of how we do business at Megacorp in the next 1 to 3 years. I felt obligated to tell my Sr. Mgr that I plan to retire in 2018 so he could take that into consideration when staffing this project.

He was surprised and was much more concerned with how to back-fill my somewhat unique expertise. It was a good feeling on many levels and I feel more comfortable taking that leap of faith next year.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
More rumination on my eagerness for my 2018 FIRE
Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #126

More rumination on my eagerness for my 2018 FIRE

I realize that eagerness for FIRE probably needs less explication on this site than on most, but still, we keep reading ALL those many articles saying "think twice, you'll lose your sharpness, you'll die younger," etc. etc. But, yesterday, I was at a meeting where an activity for fall 2018 was mentioned and how much of an "asset" it would be that I would be there to run logistics. And all I could think of was, "Heh, heh, no I won't," (FIRE is 8/1/18, barring an economic collapse. And I'm telling people only gradually starting around the end of the year.)

And I suddenly realized that for me, a not too high level administrator, FIRE means moving TO power FROM powerlessness. Right now, I'm at the beck and call of three different units, all detail work, all cajoling people to fill out forms, filling out forms myself, remembering where to check when they don't go through, constantly needing to go back to people 3 times for responses.

It's far from the worst work situation, but I've had enough of the powerlessness. I am feeling incrementally better every day in terms of letting go of stress, since I already passed my magic 25th year of employment. And looking forward to feeling more, dare I say, powerful. For me, it's really FI, financial independence, and not RE so much.

I wish the Day were here, but I'm trying to make this last year 10 months journey where I learn on the road, both new skills and more about myself. And this nugget - that I was moving from powerlessness to power BECAUSE I was exiting my job, was a new thought to me.

Sorry for the length, hoping to read others' ruminations on the last miles as well.
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
In vento et rapida scribere oportet aqua
Old 09-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #127

In vento et rapida scribere oportet aqua

I am forecasting my exit in December 2018. But as Catullus described, it is written in the wind and swiftly flowing water.

With less than two years to go, so much of my plan is vulnerable to developments beyond my control. Megacorp is undergoing convulsive changes, and the CEO might decide any day now that I'm ballast to be tossed overboard. If that happens, I will go home and begin my retirement vocation a little early.

OTOH, lunatic relatives might present some problems which lead me to delay. I say this with all the love I can muster: most of my family is not right in the head*. I might need to do some moderate rescuing in the near future. If the call comes before I turn in my keys, I probably will hold on to the regular paycheck for an undetermined-but-limited time.

Once I FIRE, I'm never going to un-FIRE, so I better make sure it's right the first time. Won't know for sure until a lot closer to the target date.

*And since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, what does this statement say about Mdlerth? I'm probably not all there, either!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I realize that eagerness for FIRE probably needs less explication on this site than on most, but still, we keep reading ALL those many articles saying "think twice, you'll lose your sharpness, you'll die younger," etc. etc. ... Right now, I'm at the beck and call of three different units, all detail work, all cajoling people to fill out forms, filling out forms myself, remembering where to check when they don't go through, constantly needing to go back to people 3 times for responses.
Yeah, you may lose your sharpness for making people fill out forms. Oh, the tragedy!

Hang in there, you will make it. And I know exactly how you feel.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
It's far from the worst work situation, but I've had enough of the powerlessness.
Yes- me too. We recently had a law change in our industry and in an attempt to comply with the law (or more likely prevent lawsuits) the company has changed our entire computer system and processes for doing things. Things that used to take 5 minutes now take 3 hours. The new processes and paperwork are incomprehensible and pointless. Its like going to work every day and being told "along with your regular work (your work load is otherwise the same) you will today have to assemble this bicycle without directions. the next day it will be a swingset. I spent more than 3 hours on the phone this week trying to get someone to explain to me how to get my work done. Like you, I am completely at megacorp's mercy with all this. I have to comply with the new processes- or quit.

When my boss called and asked how I was dealing with the new work load, I told him. In detail. I also told him about my plans to retire (I gave him the 2020 date not the 2018 one) He was shocked. He's going to be even more surprised when I give my notice.

I am enjoying "the last time I ever have to do ****" as well. Every time I finish a project I put careful notes in the computer knowing that someone else's behind will be sitting in my chair when that needs to be reviewed again.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Yes- me too. We recently had a law change in our industry and in an attempt to comply with the law (or more likely prevent lawsuits) the company has changed our entire computer system and processes for doing things. Things that used to take 5 minutes now take 3 hours. The new processes and paperwork are incomprehensible and pointless. Its like going to work every day and being told "along with your regular work (your work load is otherwise the same) you will today have to assemble this bicycle without directions. the next day it will be a swingset. I spent more than 3 hours on the phone this week trying to get someone to explain to me how to get my work done. Like you, I am completely at megacorp's mercy with all this. I have to comply with the new processes- or quit.

When my boss called and asked how I was dealing with the new work load, I told him. In detail. I also told him about my plans to retire (I gave him the 2020 date not the 2018 one) He was shocked. He's going to be even more surprised when I give my notice.

I am enjoying "the last time I ever have to do ****" as well. Every time I finish a project I put careful notes in the computer knowing that someone else's behind will be sitting in my chair when that needs to be reviewed again.
I think for a lot of us, there comes a point where we just don't have the energy/life force/motivation to learn a new software suite of tools or new business process especially when it comes at the expense of doing our primary task. I know I feel that way and I am an Application Analyst....the people that help develop those new software tools. I just don't have the energy or desire to learn a new system.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
I think for a lot of us, there comes a point where we just don't have the energy/life force/motivation to learn a new software suite of tools or new business process especially when it comes at the expense of doing our primary task. I know I feel that way and I am an Application Analyst....the people that help develop those new software tools. I just don't have the energy or desire to learn a new system.
I'm not a brick layer. But I suppose, as an apprentice, you get pretty excited when you finally get that wall plumb straight, and you strike those joints perfectly.

Then it is routine, and you are proud to work each day, and please your customers with perfect walls. You work around the crappy materials provided. It is challenge.

Then, the bricks get heavy. And it is time to move onto something else. They boss changed the mix of the mortar, and its consistency is a pain. The bricks from the oven are uneven, and it p*sses you off.

For me, that's what it has become. Stuff changes. You've seen it before. The new mortar or uneven brick used to be an exciting challenge to work around. Now it is just a pain.

Software ain't bricks, but it can be similar...
Old 09-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

Once I FIRE, I'm never going to un-FIRE, so I better make sure it's right the first time. Won't know for sure until a lot closer to the target date.

This is the part that gives me pause; I know that I won't be able to go back to my career at my pay level if things somehow go pear-shaped post-FIRE. (I'm 57 with a 4/30/18 graduation date.) If I was the only person impacted I would be less concerned, but I don't want to create hardships for DW.

I've run FIREcalc, FIDO, and a few other models, and they all come back 95%+. We are already monitoring spending, and there are a couple companies that have said they'd be very interested in my services part-time or on retainer.

Nevertheless, I still wonder if I'm missing something obvious. I'm incredibly excited being this close, but I wish I could fully dampen the doubts. Anybody with similar experience or mindset?
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #133

Yes. As far as I can tell, everybody has doubts. But at some point you realize you are trading time for money and there is always more money, but limited time. And safety is an illusion. We all know folks who said they'd work just one more year- then had a serious health issue or died.

The employment issue is the same for me- I could easily get another job but likely not at what I'm making now. Am I reasonably safe? Yes. Am I probably never going to need another job? Yes. Am I still worried? Yes. Because I'm a planner and most of us are. That's why we are where we are. You're wired to think this way. But at some point, the extra money isn't going to improve your life, its just going to exacerbate your estate problem. Sorry- had a glass of wine (or two).
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears20 View Post
This is the part that gives me pause; I know that I won't be able to go back to my career at my pay level if things somehow go pear-shaped post-FIRE. (I'm 57 with a 4/30/18 graduation date.) If I was the only person impacted I would be less concerned, but I don't want to create hardships for DW.

I've run FIREcalc, FIDO, and a few other models, and they all come back 95%+. We are already monitoring spending, and there are a couple companies that have said they'd be very interested in my services part-time or on retainer.

Nevertheless, I still wonder if I'm missing something obvious. I'm incredibly excited being this close, but I wish I could fully dampen the doubts. Anybody with similar experience or mindset?
Absolutely, ears20. And it can cause perpetual OMY. We have many threads on this.

I started this thread almost as a dare to myself to make 2018 happen. I was probably FI then (5 years ago). Since then, with market and more OMY wages from w*rk, I should be fine, right? Nope, still have those doubts.

But then one of our kind long time members posts the cartoon of the business guy walking past the gravestone, and I remember the OTHER doubts I have.

- Will I be able to actual enjoy those walking vacations I dream of in retirement?
- Will I be able to volunteer in a capacity for some organizations (think, disaster relief) if my body is broken down?
- Will may brain even be in one piece during retirement, or will it be ravaged by dementia?

I have to remind myself of these things to stick firm to 2018... but I still waver.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks uggirl, Joe. I know this group is self-selected and susceptible to groupthink, but to hear both of you mention some of the same reasoning I've applied is comforting. At times I fear that I've merely brainwashed myself into believing what I *want* to be true. It's reassuring to hear those thoughts I've had come back to me unsolicited.

And uggirl: In vino, veritas. [emoji6]
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #136
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I can't help myself hold back anymore, so I decided to open a "Class of 2018" thread. Hope you all don't mind.

A 5 year planning window is not too much.

In early 2018, I'm 55. This is really my last ER date. I hope to graduate early, if Megacorp offers a sweet incentive in the intervening years. They've offered them from time to time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Here's the thought. We're pretty much FI now if we live life modestly. DW has a job with a very sweet medical benefit at 55 too (and we are same age), so she'd ER with me, perhaps a few months after. She really wants to hold on, and it is probably wise as I could also get on the medical plan. She's also having a hard time seeing beyond work. I'm not, as I have plenty to do, right now currently with elder care for my father, and also simple "timer wasters" beyond that. I'd prefer to ER together, so that's the initial plan

But we're also wisely planning as if we wouldn't get that sweet medical plan. I look at ER if it happened today and we both had to pay medical. That's our biggest expense, besides taxes, in ER. We could do it, but it would really add expense. So, hanging on a bit longer would just make the retirement much more comfortable.

Another factor keeping us going is charity. We love to give generously, and with a reduced income, we'd still give, but the ultimate numbers won't be as big. We're not working for the charity, but it is nice to be able to contribute.

Other factors in waiting are friends and 401k usage. Many friends will join us or be near joining us in ER in 5 years. Our 401ks both become usable at 55. However, we could get around that if need be through various tax code back doors. We also think we could live just fine on non-deferred savings until 59 1/2, so this isn't an overwhelming reason to stay working. Neither of us have pensions so that's out of the mix of concern or happiness.

W*rk? It's OK. I enjoy it now much more knowing I could literally just walk out the door if I need to. I don't sweat it like I did 5 years ago, nearly having a breakdown one day. I've peaked, and I'm comfortable with it. Talked with the boss and basically told him such, and he understands. Told him time was more important than money, and he understands: heck, he's really in the same boat. He's slowed down too. We're the same age. The boss can give Megacorp's cheap and tiny raise and promotion budgets to the youngsters. I'm OK with that! I don't really need to step on them anymore. And that thinking is an adjustment. It was ingrained in me to always "do better than everyone else." I don't have to, and I'm OK with that.

So, the countdown begins. I'll see you around the boards. If for some reason I get an early graduation date, see you in another topic.
Sign me up for 2018. Just had " the talk " with the owner of the company I've been with for 30 years. We're going to incorporate my retirement party into the company Christmas party. I might work a couple of weeks in December but then I'm out the door. Can't wait. Been in my industry for 42 years, time to let the youngsters have a go. Bought myself a new motorcycle for a retirement gift to me. I won't start my pension until February so I figure I'm class of 2018. To all my fellow classmates I offer a hearty congratulations and best wishes.
tinner2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:10 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
This forum has really been instrumental in helping my wife and I evaluate our RE options. I feel 95% certain that I will be done June 29, 2018.
Exactly the same date that me and DW intend to retire! In one exciting weekend, it's DW's 60th birthday, our 10th wedding anniversary, and we're both retiring. One helluva party is planned!
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #138
Dryer sheet aficionado

Please add me to the list.7/12/2018.
3 months after my 60th birthday. The headaches at the job, staff cuts, reduced budget a boss the does not believe in the word no and a 95 mile round trip commute . Next week is 59 1/2 and the finances are probably good enough for next Friday. I would like the extra 9 months of resources but wonder how much longer this needs to go on. Fortunately my wife is fully on board with whatever happens.

Ron
may pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #139
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are moving back from May to June 1 2018. I understand that Mega corp will pay health insurance for the whole month even if you only work one day. Health insurance remains out biggest concern as Mrs HF and I will have 6 and 4 years before medicare kicks in when we retire next year.
Honeyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a UK member of the class of 2018. Reading these forums has been very helpful to me, even if it is of course more USA focused.

One thing I'm grateful about is that we UK citizens don't have to worry about health care. Our National Health Service may creak at the seams, and it often gets a less than positive press, but by and large it works very well.

Health care in retirement is clearly a major issue for my US FIRE fellows on here - we're lucky we don't have the same problem,
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote