Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
Yes, but about 1/3rd of the time I don't fight the impulse at all. I tell them in a direct but non-threatening way. But I have also socialized my intent to retire this year. I told my Sr. Manager several months ago to be thinking about my replacement for this new project I was given.

During my recent performance review he asked if I still planned to retire this year and I said yes, but as long as this new project is fun I may procrastinate on initiating the retirement process. He said if there is anything that makes the project "not fun" let him know.

All that to say I have a lot of latitude to "speak the truth in love" as they say. 😊
My mouth is wide open. I don't care. I've gotten some quite scolding ,nothing to mark my record, just "can you calm down a bit" kind of thing. Oh well!

76 days.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #342
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I did it. I filled out and submitted the form to begin benefits June 1.

I got a fresh dose of office retardation from our new chief engineer, and after calming down for an hour to avoid being terminated for cause a couple of colleagues and I reeled him in.

This was just the straw that broke the camel's back but my tank is empty, I know it, I know it's time. , Why wait? So I stopped waiting and followed thru. For the sake of my health and sanity i can wait no longer.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

That's all I need, 90 more days to convince myself I have to leave. Nice if you like where you are though!!

I too have professional disagreements with 'leadership'. It's so crazy, I begin to wonder, "is it me" that doesn't get it? Maybe they don't realize they're drinking from the cool-aid? Or really should have exercised their brain more over the years. I can't be smarter and/or be the only one that has the will, desire, to do what's right and makes sense? Can I Who cares! I can't wait to unplug from crazyville. So I don't have to care, or witness the waste of resources. 73 days! I'm still very nervous. But I'm going to either go insane, or totally blow a gasket at work if I don't get out of there. At which point I'll have to leave.

akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
That's all I need, 90 more days to convince myself I have to leave. Nice if you like where you are though!!

I too have professional disagreements with 'leadership'. It's so crazy, I begin to wonder, "is it me" that doesn't get it? Maybe they don't realize they're drinking from the cool-aid? Or really should have exercised their brain more over the years. I can't be smarter and/or be the only one that has the will, desire, to do what's right and makes sense? Can I Who cares! I can't wait to unplug from crazyville. So I don't have to care, or witness the waste of resources. 73 days! I'm still very nervous. But I'm going to either go insane, or totally blow a gasket at work if I don't get out of there. At which point I'll have to leave.

Just relax and deep breaths. Will be one of the best decisions you ever make.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can I take it much longer?

I actually kicked a box today. I am enslaved to faulty software management "systems" which demand clumsy, slow, costly input. I know that the costs of executing, say, one of the procedures for accepting a contribution costs more than the benefits. I have to pretend to participate in lofty "mission statements" or "vision statements" all the time knowing that what I'm really asked to do is to input myriads of forms correcting mistakes that Central has incorporating due to their faulty systems. 4 more months. Will I have a brain cell left? Will I have a soul left?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #346
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I actually kicked a box today.
That's OK. Just make sure there are no buckets in your work area.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

7 weeks to go.....officially started the countdown.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
7 weeks to go.....officially started the countdown.
Excellent.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #349
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife’s last day at work was 3/1. I talked to the owner of my company and told him Friday 6/1 I’m retiring. He said OK and asked me not to tell anyone. Since I spoke to him 2 weeks ago I’ve closed about 8 deals. He hasn’t discussed a replacement with my colleague yet. I hope those young folks in the office are ready to jump in head first.
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #350
Recycles dryer sheets

Easiest annual goals meeting ever yesterday! I've let my firm know so that we can move someone else into my role prior to leaving and prior to the job hitting a complicated stage so that they will be up to speed before it gets hot and heavy, and it will keep my replacement employed on the contract. Much as I'd like to finish out the project, as it's interesting, it's been over a decade since I've not worked 2 jobs in the summer, and I'm looking forward to having a much more relaxing summer this year! Going to work on the sailboat just 2-3 days a week and enjoy the summer and some travel otherwise! about 48 days to go! (though I may delay a couple of weeks depending on when they can get the paperwork to on my replacement's transfer done - nothing simple on a government contract!)
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #351
Recycles dryer sheets

Inside two weeks, and I have personal day and holiday . And today is half over ... 7 1/2 days!
green night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #352
Recycles dryer sheets

Well my manager wanted to meet with me last Tuesday and discuss annual reviews and potential goals for next year. It was kind of funny, I had planned to meet with him the next day and give him the news of my leaving. Once he threw out a couple possible goals I let him know that I plan to finish the project I'm working on and then leave. I expect an early July completion date and a few weeks of paperwork clean up then gone. I am holding out 8/3 as the last day, 96 working days. It is a bit nerve wracking to make the decision official. I'm an excellent worrier so it has taken a little while to get the nerve up.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #353
Recycles dryer sheets

Put me down for 2018. As some of you may have read in another post, I have accepted a severance and will leave Mega in late April. Base and Cobra company paid until next March. I was planning to hold out OMY or maybe two, but the package offer made it a pretty easy decision. Ready to start monitoring the “Life After Fire” forum more closely now!
hopeisnotaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #354
Recycles dryer sheets

no month specified
------------------
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February
--------

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)

May
---
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Bigdawg

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity (60)[/QUOTE]
Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #355
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeisnotaplan View Post
Put me down for 2018. As some of you may have read in another post, I have accepted a severance and will leave Mega in late April. Base and Cobra company paid until next March. I was planning to hold out OMY or maybe two, but the package offer made it a pretty easy decision. Ready to start monitoring the “Life After Fire” forum more closely now!
Put your age and date on the list. Just copy and paste the list into a new post from the copy I posted above.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #356
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
no month specified
------------------
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February
--------

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)

May
---
Joe Wras 5/1 (55)
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
Bigdawg
SonofCohoes 6/1 (59)

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity (60)
[/QUOTE]

I’m in for 6/1
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #357

Quote:
Hey, CoolRich, how has it gone so far? Are you having fun and feeling relaxed?
Sorry for the delay in responding. Unfortunately, things have not been going so well for me.

As may be recalled, I made the decision to retire asap once I reached FI because of the effect j@b stress was having on my health. But, once I retired, all those health issues seemed to erupt and really knocked me for a loop.

So, instead of having fun and relaxing, I was feeling pretty lousy and miserable. Not quite how I had envisioned things to work out.

The good news is that I have a great doc. I had a visit with him and he adjusted the dosage on the Rx he has me on. He also recommended some supplements and some lifestyle changes. It's been about 10 days since I saw him and I'm feeling a lot better.

I also think I was not as prepared as I should have been to ER. Once I hit FI, I retired less than 2 months afterwards. So, even though I was financially prepared to retire, I was not mentally prepared and didn't know what to do with myself. I've since realized that I feel a lot better if I have a "plan" for all or part of the day. Otherwise, I sleep late, wake up and spend the day vegetating by watching tv or surfing the web.

So, now I've been putting together a bullet list of things I want to do each day. Even if I only get through half the list, I feel better getting out and doing something as opposed to binge-watching some show on Netflix.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #358

CoolRich, so sorry for your troubles. I can see how the health problems can happen - you're pushing through so hard to reach the end and gritting your teeth and just doing it, then you crash. We are all very different, but I diffidently would like to make a suggestion: can you get outdoors into the natural world more or less regularly? It's something I think of as very healing. You can do it alone or with all the little groups that go on walks. A place near Chicago that has always intrigued me is Goose Lake Natural Area https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/P...kePrairie.aspx. Of course, I don't know whether something like that would appeal to you. But it's spring, and to see the original Illinois prairie in its more or less original state sounds like a plan!
Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #359

Quote:
We are all very different, but I diffidently would like to make a suggestion: can you get outdoors into the natural world more or less regularly? It's something I think of as very healing.
Thank you so much for your kind words Pellice. You must know my doctor because this is one of his recommendations (more like a command ).

I live in Lake County and have already hit a couple of local trails for walks. Even walking around my neighborhood at night is both good exercise and very relaxing.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #360
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I live in Lake County and have already hit a couple of local trails for walks. Even walking around my neighborhood at night is both good exercise and very relaxing.

Haven’t been there in years, but in Lake County, Ryerson Nature Preserve used to be a great area to walk. Old forest with long trails through it, and the Des Plaines river running along one border.
TimeMeasure is offline   Reply With Quote