Class of 2018

Thanks Joe you make some very valid points. You are right about the fires since I have to put one or two out every Monday morning! My replacement will struggle with some of those issues initially. I will have to be very clear about my time vs work time. If things get bad, I can always walk. That has been an option for a couple of years now and it does make everything easier.

I don't know whether I should add myself back into this class! My last day was supposed to be May 23rd but I have agreed to w*rk 12 hours a week (one day in the office and one morning w*rking from home) until next February. Before I caved in to the tearful (seriously) request of my boss, DH and I planned two road trips during June. We have more trips planned in August and October too. My boss is good with me taking a 4 week sabbatical in June and has assured me that I can take any time off that I want. I also do not have to attend the weekly office meeting!!! I think this new schedule will make me feel retired even if I'm not technically retired. Thoughts?
I hope it works for you. Nobody wants to lose a good fire fighter, and honesty the best ones likely do well under trial by fire. It's a hard sell to get your management to believe person X could do it. They're comfortable/trust you.

I hope they honor their position with you. Remember if they wanted you gone, it will happen on their timeline, not yours

I retired today.

Said my final goodbyes after over three decades at the same company.

Hard to leave my friends but looking forward to lower stress and more free time.

Hard to leave my friends but looking forward to lower stress and more free time.

Congratulations! I would love to hear about your first week of financial independence!

Congratulations! [emoji898][emoji485][emoji481]

Well, I got through my last round of telling those who need to know about my retirement. The business end of things was anticlimactic. I had pored over the guidelines and timelines, discovered that these were not particularly clear, made phone calls to people who informed me that there were other forms, but no need to hurry, etc. In short, it's just more pushing people to get back to me with the forms they promised, then pushing the papers, then double checking to make sure that the papers are being pushed by others.

But freedom beckons: I now have more vacation days left than work days, since I was carrying a year's worth forward. How will I get all the remaining work done?

It all ended Thursday, now what am I going to do?

Looking forward to this day for 15 years and now a little dumbfounded.

Here i sit at w*rk , 5 hours to go until the day shift shows up and i am out the door for the final time. My DW went at the first of the March. It does not feel real yet, my wife says not real yet for her either, and she has been off all month. But, full steam ahead starting next week, pick up our new 5th wheel on Tuesday and head off to a local state park next week.

Congrats to all of the class of 2018 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here i sit at w*rk , 5 hours to go until the day shift shows up and i am out the door for the final time. My DW went at the first of the March. It does not feel real yet, my wife says not real yet for her either, and she has been off all month. But, full steam ahead starting next week, pick up our new 5th wheel on Tuesday and head off to a local state park next week.

Congrats!

By my calculations, you are about to retire in 10 minutes. Hopefully, they let you out a bit early. :)

Congrats!

By my calculations, you are about to retire in 10 minutes. Hopefully, they let you out a bit early. :)

Yep, told the kid I have been training the last year "your in charge" and took off. It was just the 2 of us. There was nothing going on at w*rk.

Brilliant news, enjoy your trip. Many congratulations.

PD

Some people report a lot of satisfaction on ramping down via PT.

Personally, we have a person at M.C. who went PT. Doesn't matter. Fires are always burning. Emails are always expected to be answered, 24.7. I don't think it is working that well in this particular situation.

PT can become FT easily, unless you put very strict limits on your working hours, AND your boss/company fully respect it. For those that go that way, it can work very nicely. So if your boss and company respect it, it might be really nice to ramp down like that.

I worked PT for many years in a service business... the deal was that I would work 50% hours for 50% pay... if I worked more, then they owed me more and vice versa. The total hours were never a problem as it all seemed to work out.... one nice thing... if they wanted me to do some stupid admin thing I would ask the boss... do you really want to use the limited hours that I am willing to work to have me do this stupid sh!t thing?... and he usually agreed to have someone else do it.

The problem that I ultimately ran into was the on-call 24/7 thing... though I didn't mind that part so much... the real problem was planning a conference call for 2 hours in the morning and making plans for the afternoon for personal stuff and then having the conference call moved 15 minutes before it was to start to the afternoon and having to reschedule my plans. After that happened too many times I decided that I had enough.

Add me to the group who said goodbye to work last week. Three weeks of hearing from others that they'd been told I was staying on in a consulting role, I was relieved to make it through Friday without anyone actually asking me to stay on.

I was nervous about stepping into the unknown for the last few weeks, but I must say that Saturday was the most relaxed I have felt on a weekend in ages. I don't think I realized how stressed out I was in my job. Looking forward to this new chapter.

I worked PT for many years in a service business... the deal was that I would work 50% hours for 50% pay... if I worked more, then they owed me more and vice versa. The total hours were never a problem as it all seemed to work out....

I think in many situations this works perfectly well.

I'm in tech, and the culture is kind of a 24/7 thing. Well, not kind of, it is. I mean, I like my sleep, but when I wake up, I'm greeted with at least 75 emails to sort through from colleagues in my time zone who apparently work all the time (I'm not kidding) or from colleagues from overseas.

This culture tends to wreak havoc on our few people who tried PT.

Anyway, I guess it just gives me an excuse to completely detach. :)

Add me to the group who said goodbye to work last week. Three weeks of hearing from others that they'd been told I was staying on in a consulting role, I was relieved to make it through Friday without anyone actually asking me to stay on.

I was nervous about stepping into the unknown for the last few weeks, but I must say that Saturday was the most relaxed I have felt on a weekend in ages. I don't think I realized how stressed out I was in my job. Looking forward to this new chapter.

Congratulations! [emoji898]

A minor update from me; myself and Mrs PD are taking a day's annual leave on our official last day (Monday 04/30) so that we can quit on the Friday (04/27.)

Who would want one more Monday morning? :D

no month specified
------------------
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February
--------

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
Mr. and Mrs. Honeyfill 4/2
ears20 (57)
Poppydog and Mrs Poppydog 4/27 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)

May
---
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31
OnIslandTime 5/31
ears20 5/31 (57)

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
JoeWras 6/1 (55)
neihn 6/30

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity (60)

Adding myself to April.

no month specified
------------------
Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February
--------

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)
Poppydog and Mrs Poppydog 4/27 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)
Hopeisnotaplan (49)

May
---
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31
OnIslandTime 5/31
ears20 5/31 (57)

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
JoeWras 6/1 (55)
neihn 6/30

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity (60)[/QUOTE]

Grumpyretirement
trapperjohn
datuck
Snoopy (55)
Lovetoski (46)
Coolrich59 (59)

January
-------
chief04010 1/2
JeffinSeattle 1/2
Boilerman 1/2 (57)
OldPhd 1/4
Uncle Lumpy 1/5 (60)
ikubak 1/10 (55)

February
GrandmaHoo feb1 62.5

March
-----
Nunyaa
elainejtm

April
-----
Seaborne (39)
whatnot 4/1
ears20 (57)
Poppydog 4/30 (63/59)
Tdv2 4/30 (54)
tmm2good 4/4 (58)
ILikeStarTrek (55)

May
---
Mcbraemer (63.5)
SumDay 5/31
OnIslandTime 5/31
ears20 5/31 (57)

June
----
Pullin 6/1
GaryT 6/1
JoeWras 6/1 (55)
neihn 6/30

July
----
Dan4495 (60)
68Bucks
MRC758 7/13

August
--------
Pellice 8/1 (62)

September
---------

October
-------
FIREmenow
RoyDornoch (60)
Ed B. 10/31

November
--------
Erbragg1 11/1

December
--------
Cnocmmz
tmitchell (50)
WestUniversity (60)

Just a note to say that Mrs. Honeyfill retired ahead of schedule on March 27.
Unfortunately , I am delaying my retirement to June 1.

Back
Top Bottom