Class of 2018

Savoring the amazing feeling

OK, so I'm still some months from August 1, but today - today! - I finally felt the heady feeling of FIRE. I have only about 20 or 21 working days before retirement and double that for vacation days. So I am not working today, but instead enjoying a 3 day weekend. Nevertheless, I was outdoors today early on, back in the house doing some much needed tidying. I have plans also for Saturday and Sunday morning. I was trying to decide whether to make a Costco trip today, before the crowds, or move it to Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Then it hit me - I am ALSO taking off Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday of next week. I can go any one of those days. No need to rush. What a feeling!

My last day was today!!! I turned in my computer and all my wireless gadgets and I'm off the roll. What a great feeling!!! Unemployed and free....32 years of planning paying off now.

My last day was today!!! I turned in my computer and all my wireless gadgets and I'm off the roll. What a great feeling!!! Unemployed and free....32 years of planning paying off now.

Congrats!

Great to hear. Now you roll into retirement.:dance:

Congratulations![emoji106][emoji122][emoji41]

20 working days to go, 13 days in May and 7 days in June. I am excited :)

Long, long weekend ahead!

Five days to go

Hi all,

I've mostly lurked here for the last few years but have this forum among things to thank for helping develop the confidence and courage to make a move. I'm pulling the plug on May 4, age 55, walking away from VP role at megacorp and some serious comp. It's been an awesome ride, but it's time to say enough is enough and open the next chapter to focus on the important things in life.

Five business days to go... thanks for the inspiration!

Hi all,

I've mostly lurked here for the last few years but have this forum among things to thank for helping develop the confidence and courage to make a move. I'm pulling the plug on May 4, age 55, walking away from VP role at megacorp and some serious comp. It's been an awesome ride, but it's time to say enough is enough and open the next chapter to focus on the important things in life.

Congrats and welcome to the site.:dance:

FreeBear, class of 2015, here to encourage the 2018 year class. I too remember turning in my laptop and badge on my last day and driving home in a blissful daze! One of the best days of my life. My heart still quickens when I remember. Savor the moment and welcome aboard the freedom train.

Getting ready to tell the boss this week. Nerves.

Getting ready to tell the boss this week. Nerves.

Interested to hear how it plays out.

As my time grows shorter I have begun to play that conversation out in my head. I was in a planning meeting this week going over staffing and projects for the next year. Needless to say my mind was wandering during the meeting as it won’t apply to me...:dance:

Good luck in your meeting!

I went in and gave my manager notice on the 1st Monday in April. We announced it to the 3 or 4 people in my immediate group the next day. Knowing that the left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing, I knew that most people wouldn't hear that I was leaving, so the following Monday, I sent the following email to the 40 or so people that I know in the building:
-------------------

After the recent emails that were depressing with people saying goodbye when they got laid off, this one is different.

I am leaving the company because I have decided to retire!! My last day will be May 1.

(People typically wait until their last day to send a “goodbye” email, but I'm being different in this way too. Often (even when they weren't from layoffs), I didn't even know the people were leaving until I got the email, and by that time he/she was out the door, so I didn't have a chance to say goodbye in person. I'd like people to know about my news so you can bid me best wishes if you see me in the halls over the next couple of weeks.)

People may wonder how I will fill up my time once I'm not working. First, many of you know that in the past few years I've been doing week-long bicycle tours in different states. Until now, I could only do 3 or 4 such tours a year until I ran out of vacation time. Now, I plan to do 8 to 10 weeks a year of bicycle tours. That’s the main one thing that is making me want to have a lot more free time; but I also have several interests other than cycling. I’m a Christian, and in the past, I've audited some classes at a Christian seminary. One learns a lot more taking classes for a grade since you have to actually do the assignments to pass. Now that I have more time, I will hopefully take a few of those classes and be able to focus on them more. Another interest I have is family history / genealogy research, which can also be very time-consuming; now I hope to do more of that. I also have relatives in various places that I'd like to spend more time visiting. And, there are some days where I would rather not do anything more than read, watch TV, go for a walk, etc. If I spend some days like that once I'm not working, I don't think I will be bored but I will enjoy that time very well.

If you see me in the halls over the next couple of weeks, be happy for me and wish me well! I've enjoyed working with all of you, and for the most part, working here and solving problems has been fun. It’s just not as much fun as riding my bicycle on the Florida Keys highway, in the hills of Maine, or across the Golden Gate bridge. :)

Best wishes to everyone!

---------------------------

I got replies from several people who have worked a lot with me in the past, with best wishes and some saying they were jealous of my being able to retire. The people in my immediate group, where we have frequent work meetings, asked me to stay after a couple of our meetings and talk to them about how to retire early (I'm 55). I talked about various topics from how to save money on various expenses to what 401k choices I invest in, and I followed up with an email which linked to various sites about retirement. It's been fun to do all that. My manager hasn't assigned me much since I gave notice, not wanting me to get in the middle of something that would be hard to hand off at the end. So I've been pretty much coasting the past couple of weeks (though I did figure out one problem last week that no one else had been able to solve).

Now I just have 2 more days! Tomorrow, I'm handing off what little I haven't finished to a co-worker. The next day will be little more than an exit interview.

I'm pretty sure I will feel great when I wake up Wednesday without having to do any more work. Woo-hoo!

Here's another one for the list. The DW and I are retiring on 12/21 this year. We'll both be 39.

My first Monday morning post- retirement. No alarm clock, no emails to check, no business-like clothes, no commute. Wonderful!

Of course, I’m wide awake at 06:45am as per usual, I guess it will take a while to change that ha ha!

My first Monday morning post- retirement. No alarm clock, no emails to check, no business-like clothes, no commute. Wonderful!

Of course, I’m wide awake at 06:45am as per usual, I guess it will take a while to change that ha ha!

Or maybe you won't! Early morning, dawn to sunrise, is the most wonderful part of the day. Even in far northern Scotland, the spring migrating birds must be arriving now and singing. Time for a walk to enjoy the sunrise!

Here's another one for the list. The DW and I are retiring on 12/21 this year. We'll both be 39.
Congratulations to another fairly young one. Where in AUS are you? Working on getting my AUS permanent residency application together this summer and may head to Sydney in the next year or so.

Hey there! I'm mostly a reader, less a commenter, here too. I think it's from years at mega type corps where people generally don't get me, and aren't too smart, or as smart as they could be. Anywho..... I'm also walking away from a big salary, at 56, and keep being my own cheerleader on that path. I'm single, grew up poor/frugal (mom was born 1921, so). So, jumping off the payroll is scary. Since I was 14, there's only been about 15 months I wasn't getting a paycheck. Yeah, it's time. I have to get away from the craziness of the mega Corp. My plan looks bulletproof. I've been testing it for some real estate improvements I need in the $50-$100 range, and it causes virtually no impact. I'm shooting for June 30. Any butterflies? Maybe mine are fear of no paycheck, except for the one from my brokerage account.

:dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations to another fairly young one. Where in AUS are you? Working on getting my AUS permanent residency application together this summer and may head to Sydney in the next year or so.

Thanks.

We are in Melbourne and have just recovered from 'one more year syndrome' and will finish up at the end of the year.

Good luck with the permanent residency. Sydney is a beautiful place and Australia is a great place to live.

Reading this thread is inspiring.

Hi all,

Hey Hilltopper, meant to quote you and reply above is response. Apparently I'm too old to get this right on my phone. Haha!! Definitely time to go. Look up there above for real response.... :blush:

Back
Top Bottom