Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #581
Recycles dryer sheets

Summary of my first 6 months of retirement (spoiler alert - it’s fantastic!)

Background: 57 years old with a 60 year old DW and one successfully independent child. Retired at the start of 2018 after 35 years with my defense industry megacorp. I was fortunate to have a decent pension although they announced a freezing of the pension that is being phased in and don’t offer the pension to new employees. Started as a software engineer and worked my way to a Program Manager position with about 400 people reporting to me. My last 8 to 10 years, I averaged about 50 to 55 hours a week, traveled about 2 weeks a month and felt under constant pressure. However, I did enjoy my work, believed it was important to our national defense and loved my co-workers. DW was a RN and has also retired now.

I started saving through our 401k plan a bit late, starting around age 32, after 10 years of working. We gradually increased my 401k deferments up to 13% with a 4% match from my company. Retired with a 401k balance of about $1.3M, split about 60/40. With my pension and savings (401k, DW’s IRA, and after tax savings) we have about the same spendable income as when we were working. We are also eligible for about $40k a year in social security if we both take payments at age 62.

Deciding it was time: I went through a phase about 10 years ago with my spreadsheet planning where I calculated how much additional money I would have if I worked until 60 or 62. I mean that’s still pretty early, right? By age 55, my annual retirement income was increasing about $8k to $10k for each additional year I worked. So working an extra 5 years until I was 62 would produce a minimum of an extra $40k a year in income! And since I enjoyed my work, I could have done that.

Then as I approached age 55, I realized we would have enough to be happy by 57 and decided that enough is enough! But that took some time and real soul searching to decide I could walk away from that much money. It was a very scary decision.

Best preparation: I read the Ernie Zelinski books on retirement and it helped reduce my fears about how I would spend my time. I highly recommend for people to spend some time planning for the non-financial part of their life in FIRE.

Best things about FIRE:
- Having a sleep schedule more natural to my body. I never enjoyed getting up at 630am.
- Being able to enjoy the morning with a leisurely breakfast and newspaper. Previously, I was on the road within 30 minutes of waking up and mornings were just miserable.
- Getting 10,000 steps a day without really trying; Before FIRE, I averaged about 2,000 steps unless I was able to make it to the gym. And going to the gym meant giving up an hour of sleep.
- Having time to read. Previously, the only time I read was on airplanes.
- Being able to take time to do something right without either rushing or doing multiple things at a time. I got pretty good at multitasking at work but I hated having to always cut corners with everything I did.
- I don’t feel resentful doing household chores or running errands. Before, my free time was so limited that I would get mad when it was time to cut the grass.
- My blood pressure dropped about 10 points within days of announcing my departure at work. I always felt like I handled work stress pretty well but after FIRE I realized how much the job had affected me.
- Playing golf on Wednesdays. Makes me feel like I’m playing hooky from work. Every week now on my way to the golf course, i break out in a huge smile and just shake my head in disbelief.

Downside of FIRE:
- Healthcare premiums went way up. Although I’m eligible for retirement medical “benefits” from my company, they put the retirees into their own pool and so the premiums are sky high. I’m actually saving about $100 a month using COBRA and paying 102% of the cost of my employee plan.
- Occasional guilt for not working. Mostly for my friends and co-workers who are older than me and some may never be able to retire. It takes a certain amount of luck to avoid job loss, health issues, divorce or other factors that delay retirement and I feel very fortunate to have avoided those. But the guilt doesn’t last long [emoji3]

So my 6 month report is overwhelming positive! I haven’t been bored even once and I appreciate my freedom every day. Will that wear off in a few years? I don’t know, but for now I’m still pinching myself every day in disbelief that we pulled this off.

Thanks to all the wonderful contributions to this board for all the wisdom, help and encouragement. I might not ever believed it was possible to FIRE without the assistance of this site.
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #582
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the report and congratulations on the success thus far! [emoji106][emoji898]

I too read Ernie’s books. I don’t think the transition will be an issue for me. I already have a huge list of things to keep me busy in retirement. Right now I’m just waiting on the calendar...
Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #583
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerman View Post
Summary of my first 6 months of retirement (spoiler alert - it’s fantastic!)

Background: 57 years old with a 60 year old DW and one successfully independent child. Retired at the start of 2018 after 35 years with my defense industry megacorp. I was fortunate to have a decent pension although they announced a freezing of the pension that is being phased in and don’t offer the pension to new employees. Started as a software engineer and worked my way to a Program Manager position with about 400 people reporting to me. My last 8 to 10 years, I averaged about 50 to 55 hours a week, traveled about 2 weeks a month and felt under constant pressure. However, I did enjoy my work, believed it was important to our national defense and loved my co-workers. DW was a RN and has also retired now.

I started saving through our 401k plan a bit late, starting around age 32, after 10 years of working. We gradually increased my 401k deferments up to 13% with a 4% match from my company. Retired with a 401k balance of about $1.3M, split about 60/40. With my pension and savings (401k, DW’s IRA, and after tax savings) we have about the same spendable income as when we were working. We are also eligible for about $40k a year in social security if we both take payments at age 62.

Deciding it was time: I went through a phase about 10 years ago with my spreadsheet planning where I calculated how much additional money I would have if I worked until 60 or 62. I mean that’s still pretty early, right? By age 55, my annual retirement income was increasing about $8k to $10k for each additional year I worked. So working an extra 5 years until I was 62 would produce a minimum of an extra $40k a year in income! And since I enjoyed my work, I could have done that.

Then as I approached age 55, I realized we would have enough to be happy by 57 and decided that enough is enough! But that took some time and real soul searching to decide I could walk away from that much money. It was a very scary decision.

Best preparation: I read the Ernie Zelinski books on retirement and it helped reduce my fears about how I would spend my time. I highly recommend for people to spend some time planning for the non-financial part of their life in FIRE.

Best things about FIRE:
- Having a sleep schedule more natural to my body. I never enjoyed getting up at 630am.
- Being able to enjoy the morning with a leisurely breakfast and newspaper. Previously, I was on the road within 30 minutes of waking up and mornings were just miserable.
- Getting 10,000 steps a day without really trying; Before FIRE, I averaged about 2,000 steps unless I was able to make it to the gym. And going to the gym meant giving up an hour of sleep.
- Having time to read. Previously, the only time I read was on airplanes.
- Being able to take time to do something right without either rushing or doing multiple things at a time. I got pretty good at multitasking at work but I hated having to always cut corners with everything I did.
- I don’t feel resentful doing household chores or running errands. Before, my free time was so limited that I would get mad when it was time to cut the grass.
- My blood pressure dropped about 10 points within days of announcing my departure at work. I always felt like I handled work stress pretty well but after FIRE I realized how much the job had affected me.
- Playing golf on Wednesdays. Makes me feel like I’m playing hooky from work. Every week now on my way to the golf course, i break out in a huge smile and just shake my head in disbelief.

Downside of FIRE:
- Healthcare premiums went way up. Although I’m eligible for retirement medical “benefits” from my company, they put the retirees into their own pool and so the premiums are sky high. I’m actually saving about $100 a month using COBRA and paying 102% of the cost of my employee plan.
- Occasional guilt for not working. Mostly for my friends and co-workers who are older than me and some may never be able to retire. It takes a certain amount of luck to avoid job loss, health issues, divorce or other factors that delay retirement and I feel very fortunate to have avoided those. But the guilt doesn’t last long [emoji3]

So my 6 month report is overwhelming positive! I haven’t been bored even once and I appreciate my freedom every day. Will that wear off in a few years? I don’t know, but for now I’m still pinching myself every day in disbelief that we pulled this off.

Thanks to all the wonderful contributions to this board for all the wisdom, help and encouragement. I might not ever believed it was possible to FIRE without the assistance of this site.
Congratulations Boilerman. I wouldn't be surprised if we retired from the same megacorp. Lots of similarities in your background with megacorp and mine. I look forward to reading more updates from you.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #584
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
That's a Wrap!

Sitting here at my desk with only 3hrs of my working life left to go!

My DW is also retiring today - DOUBLE !!!

We were on the list for October since DW would turn 55, but in February, DW's employer decided they would no longer offer retiree health insurance benefits for new retirees So we figured - why wait?

We have been weekend sail- and trawler-boaters for 25+ years on far too many different boats. We have now purchased a used live-aboard capable boat and will be selling our “dirt home” in the next couple of months and moving aboard full time. Now this is true “downsizing”!

There will be enough continuous maintenance and repair issues with the diesel, electrical, and water systems that will keep my engineering mind plenty busy. We will cruise locally for a few months, get some projects on the boat completed, and then maybe down to the FL keys this winter -- chasing the 80 degree weather.

In the spring we will start the Great Loop (America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association) which is typically a year or more, following the four seasons. The Bahamas will be also be must when we come back around. After that, we don’t know -- or care !!

Drone picture from Memorial Day this year

I already smashed the alarm clock this morning.....
That's awesome. I would love to be able to do that. But, my kids are 5, 6, 8. So we are more home bound retired.
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #585

With the health issues I’ve developed, issues at MegaCorp and my general attitude, I’m evaluating revising my FIRE date from December 28th to November 30th. Nothing in stone yet. Stay tuned...
Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #586
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired today! Left at noon and spent the afternoon fixing the pool pump. Celebrated with a glass of very good brandy this evening!
Honeyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 AM   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyfill View Post
Retired today! Left at noon and spent the afternoon fixing the pool pump. Celebrated with a glass of very good brandy this evening!

Congratulations![emoji323][emoji324][emoji898] [emoji485][emoji481]
Old 07-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #588

Quote:
...spent the afternoon fixing the pool pump...
Sounds like a dream come true.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #589
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Sounds like a dream come true.

You know what? For me, piddling around the house and fixing or cleaning stuff is my dream!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #590
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

You know what? For me, piddling around the house and fixing or cleaning stuff is my dream!
It is amazing how gratifying housework is compared to completing assessment reports that everybody wants, but nobody reads. Those clean windows? They provide value!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #591
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IT'S DONE The rest of the month is vacation. The rest of my life is here! What a combination of feelings - gratitude, excitement, satisfaction, anticipation, curiosity. Adjustment .... what adjustment? I'm here!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
IT'S DONE The rest of the month is vacation. The rest of my life is here! What a combination of feelings - gratitude, excitement, satisfaction, anticipation, curiosity. Adjustment .... what adjustment? I'm here!

Congratulations!! [emoji322][emoji323][emoji898] [emoji485][emoji481][emoji106]
Old 07-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #593

Congrats Pellice!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #594
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations. It was great day one and keeps getting better.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #595
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Congratulations!

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #596
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations to the Class of 18', thus far. Hopefully, more will join.
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp470 View Post
Congratulations to the Class of 18', thus far. Hopefully, more will join.

Unfortunately I’m afraid I will be last. Right now my date is 12/28. There is a chance however I may move it to 11/30...
Old 07-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #598
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a bad classmate. Somehow I've gotten into OMM. I'm still in Aug, just the end instead of the start. I have to stop this madness!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Unfortunately I’m afraid I will be last. Right now my date is 12/28...
Nope, I am 31 December.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #600
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Congrats! The commute here on Oahu is mind-numbing, time to get on with life!
I remember the tough commutes on da Big Island when we called it home. That's a long trek mauka up Hualalai !
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote