Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Company just had a retirement party for me today and this is a hat I got. This July 4th will be a memorable independent day for me.

IMG_2706.JPG
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's official. freedomatlast finally has freedom at last!
Last day of work was 6/21/19 @ 59 1/2 years old. I guess I can say I retired in my 50's.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
Company just had a retirement party for me today and this is a hat I got. This July 4th will be a memorable independent day for me.

Attachment 31963
I love that hat!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
It's official. freedomatlast finally has freedom at last!
Last day of work was 6/21/19 @ 59 1/2 years old. I guess I can say I retired in my 50's.
Congrats!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For it to make sense, it would need to be a quid pro quo: You let me take off for the walkthrough in a few weeks and I can give you another two weeks after that. Otherwise, I'm giving you two-week notice now.
The boss saw me coming. She asked for a month. I'm not sure if that pegs my last day at July 26 or August 9 (end of the two pay periods closest to a month from now) - I'm good with either.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:21 AM   #266
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The boss saw me coming. She asked for a month. I'm not sure if that pegs my last day at July 26 or August 9 (end of the two pay periods closest to a month from now) - I'm good with either.
bUU - a month will go by quickly. Cheer up, because the time will fly and you may need it for the odds and ends of retirement separation. Two other benefits, 1) you should not be expected to start new projects, and 2) people will come to you less for problem solving. Just say 'sucks to be you' to one person trying to land their problem on your lap - word gets around quickly.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #267
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished my last (FT) day at the job today!

I am going to do a little PT work through the end of the year at my current employer, adn will continue doing my own PT business for a while longer. DW says i have failed at this retirement thing.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
bUU - a month will go by quickly. Cheer up, because the time will fly and you may need it for the odds and ends of retirement separation. Two other benefits, 1) you should not be expected to start new projects, and 2) people will come to you less for problem solving. Just say 'sucks to be you' to one person trying to land their problem on your lap - word gets around quickly.
I'm not sure a month will go by all that quickly. Once I get back from vacation I'll have very little actual work to do. I'm leaving behind enough of my work that the rest of my team will take several months to work through, at a minimum. No one will expect me to be adding more logs to the pile. So my days will involve reviewing the work done in India overnight and running the 9am status meeting. After that, I'll probably just spend my time making it look like I'm busy (something that goes so slow) to justify getting paid for the week.

I'm not scheduled to be the "problem solver of the week" until my last week, but even that never means more than a few hours of extra work. That's actually the only part of the job I ever liked.

I've been doing my job (product owner) and that of a colleague (project manager) who was laid off several months ago. They have been trying to replace that colleague with a contractor, and it seems likely that they'll make their decision about that now, given that they know I'm leaving. So somewhere along the line I'll hand over even that work. The current top candidate doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will be interested in my bringing him up to speed - he seems more inclined to start from scratch and do things his own way. So I won't even have that work ahead of me.

I'm not "retiring" from the perspective of the company - I've just been there 15 months. So I think "separation" will just involve leaving my laptop with my boss on the last day, and handing my ID badge to the guard as I swipe out one last time. I have a 401k there, but I initiate the rollover wholly within Fidelity, 401k to IRA; easy peasy.

Somehow or another, my boss set up my exit interview for yesterday afternoon. I didn't actually give notice yet (and won't for another week yet). Still, it was a nice discussion. The HR manager acknowledged the failings of the organization but did try to contend that things would eventually get better. I told her I hoped so - there are some really good people I like very much who I'm leaving behind, people who don't have the luxury of being able to step away like I do.

We're moving later this year, so I will start interviewing realtors and movers soon. Maybe I'll do some work along those lines during work hours, especially on my work-at-home days. (I doubt they'll say I have to be in the office these last several weeks: There aren't enough desks for everyone, so my working at home two days a week, means that some of the newer people actually get to work at a workstation for a change, instead of crowded around a small table or balancing their laptops on their laps. Yes; the company is that stupid-foolish.)
Old 07-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

First Monday of retirement for me, 60yo. Loading up truck to head to mtns for couple weeks. I will admit to feeling different today. Super glad to be part of class of 2019!
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #270
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
First Monday of retirement for me, 60yo. Loading up truck to head to mtns for couple weeks. I will admit to feeling different today. Super glad to be part of class of 2019!
Welcome to retirement! Hope you have a great trip.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #271

Day 23. Opted to stay an extra night after DW's family reunion 4 hours away. No place to be and made for a relaxing weekend. Still trying to find my groove. Zucchini needs to be harvested tomorrow.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Day 23. Opted to stay an extra night after DW's family reunion 4 hours away. No place to be and made for a relaxing weekend. Still trying to find my groove. Zucchini needs to be harvested tomorrow.
I say be patient with finding your groove. I retired end of last month. A week ago I had lunch with colleagues from work. They asked "what is your routine now?" I really do not have a routine as I have been travelling and planning travel so I guess that is the routine.

I do not want to get too routine yet. I do feel comfortable with not working so that's the important thing.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:15 AM   #273

I think it'll be a while before I get to thinking about "routine". I've got another month of work, but by then I'll be fully engulfed in the "work" of selling our home, arranging for our move to Florida, and arranging for the various upgrades we're already planning for our home there. Done well, in a way that we could never hope for while working, this relocation will occupy us for at least the next five or six months I suspect. "Routine" is something to consider for next year, I suspect.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #274
Give me a forum ...

We have been retired almost 2 years. We have a semi routine at most. Don't worry too much about having a routine or a need to do certain number of accomplishments each day.
It will come to you over time and some days your routine might just be nothing.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave my unofficial notice to the company CEO and my boss. CEO and I have worked together for nearly 20 years and he was my boss for most of that time, until I switched to part time 3 years ago. I will make it official in writing in a day or so. Last day will be August 2nd. My 55th birthday is in July so will be just past that. I've got about half of my retirement funds in my 401k, so will leave that sit for now just in case I need access before 59.5 We've got probably 4 years of cash in regular after tax accounts so don't really plan on any withdrawals. June 24 marked 38 years in banking. When I downshifted from VP to part time the company squandered my 6 months notice. I expect the same thing this time but really like and respect my direct boss so gave 30 days notice. I also am due a $9k commission check so probably worth the longer notice.

Let the count down begin!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #276

Retired on May 1, 2019 at age 55 after 32 years with mega-corp. Today consisted of yard care and a couple hours on my bicycle kicking up dirt and gravel. Currently sitting in the jacuzzi at the local health club enjoying a beautiful Tuesday evening under cool California skies with my lovely wife (class of 2018 graduate) at my side.

Life doesn’t get much sweeter than this!

Cheers to all my Class of 2019 brothers and sisters. Hope you are ... or will be soon ... living the early retirement dream.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #277
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I did it. Last week was a string of retirement parties, lunches with co-workers, and a weird feeling of being a visitor watching the natives deal with schedules, milestones, and budgets.

I spent a few minutes on the last day looking around at the place that has occupied my days for a quarter-century. I shook hands one final time with my boss, wished him well and walked out to the parking lot.

It was weird, driving out on the final day, knowing I'd never be back.

So I'm retired now, and making plans. Lots of stuff to see, and now (to paraphrase a Twilight Zone episode) there's Time Enough at Last.

Best wishes to those who will follow us into retirement this year.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #278

Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Well, I did it. Last week was a string of retirement parties, lunches with co-workers, and a weird feeling of being a visitor watching the natives deal with schedules, milestones, and budgets.

I spent a few minutes on the last day looking around at the place that has occupied my days for a quarter-century. I shook hands one final time with my boss, wished him well and walked out to the parking lot.

It was weird, driving out on the final day, knowing I'd never be back.

So I'm retired now, and making plans. Lots of stuff to see, and now (to paraphrase a Twilight Zone episode) there's Time Enough at Last.

Best wishes to those who will follow us into retirement this year.
I did the same, looked around and tried to feel the "last" vibes...and finally walked away. It felt weird for me, too.
Is your reference to the Twilight Zone "Time Enough at Last" referring to the episode where the fellow was in the bank vault when "the bomb" went off, and when he finally realized that he had all the time in the world to do his favorite thing ever, to read and read and read...and his glasses got broken? That still gives me the chills!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #279

Joining class of 2019. I graduated last Friday. I told my tale in the "I Quit" thread, but I thought I should register here as a member of the class of 2019.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #280
Dryer sheet aficionado

My last day at mega Corp. was February 4th when I retired at the ripe old age of 54 years old. I reran all of my numbers on Christmas Eve during the depths of the correction last year and figured if things were good with those numbers then it can only get better. My how lucky we’ve all been in the market since then.

I’m staying busy with upkeep, golf and vacations. My iPhone calendar keeps me on time. Heading to Spain and Portugal next week! Happy Fourth of July everyone! ��Here’s to a great second half and beyond!
Pete10k is offline   Reply With Quote