Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2019, 03:42 AM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
And is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to work there? Well, you know what I mean. Believe me, a month or so after you leave, you WILL NOT care what they are doing back at the office.
I technically haven't missed a day of work yet, and I don't care.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

gentle reminder to apply for a HELOC if you want one before your income diminishes
Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #303
Recycles dryer sheets

DONE!! Officially tomorrow is my last day, but turned in ID, laptop, keys etc. today, so only on call Friday if needed to consult on any loose ends. Had a low key 3 hour lunch with some of my coworkers dropping in from other branches.

I've got a non governmental 457b, that I'm going to be drawing down. Even having read the summary plan description I have learned a few things - but I'll save that for a different post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
Gave my unofficial notice to the company CEO and my boss. CEO and I have worked together for nearly 20 years and he was my boss for most of that time, until I switched to part time 3 years ago. I will make it official in writing in a day or so. Last day will be August 2nd. My 55th birthday is in July so will be just past that. I've got about half of my retirement funds in my 401k, so will leave that sit for now just in case I need access before 59.5 We've got probably 4 years of cash in regular after tax accounts so don't really plan on any withdrawals. June 24 marked 38 years in banking. When I downshifted from VP to part time the company squandered my 6 months notice. I expect the same thing this time but really like and respect my direct boss so gave 30 days notice. I also am due a $9k commission check so probably worth the longer notice.

Let the count down begin!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
So... Been 'out' since 6/17. Really not sure how I ever had time to work ;-). A little travel, a few projects around the house, and I'm plenty busy. I start a two day a week consulting gig on Monday, doing pretty much what I 'retired' from. Frankly not very excited, but it covers COBRA and gas for the Motorcycle.

DW remains terrified - she returns to her job at the school in a few weeks so that will take her mind off her un-employed husband (me).

So far, this is a good thing!

I'll check back in a few weeks...
Hi kfsinc, ditto on DW. Mine is in education also and still working.

Great summer so far after retiring end of May!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #305

After 25 years with the same company, I took that final walk out the door today! It was somewhat bittersweet, as I've enjoyed my career and been fortunate to have terrific managers and coworkers. But at the same time it's so satisfying to be getting on with my early retirement plan!

I spent this final week clearing things out of my office, PC, locker, and the fridge, and getting my replacement acquainted with my duties. That's the icing on my early retirement cake, that my replacement is a capable and deserving coworker who's been looking for a position with better pay and more freedom. I couldn't be happier for her.

I am looking forward to Monday!
O2Bfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #306
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
After 25 years with the same company, I took that final walk out the door today! It was somewhat bittersweet, as I've enjoyed my career and been fortunate to have terrific managers and coworkers. But at the same time it's so satisfying to be getting on with my early retirement plan!

I spent this final week clearing things out of my office, PC, locker, and the fridge, and getting my replacement acquainted with my duties. That's the icing on my early retirement cake, that my replacement is a capable and deserving coworker who's been looking for a position with better pay and more freedom. I couldn't be happier for her.

I am looking forward to Monday!

Congrats! You will be surprised how fast it takes before you donít think or care about what the people back at the office are doing.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #307

Quote:
Congrats! You will be surprised how fast it takes before you donít think or care about what the people back at the office are doing.
Amen! Took me about an hour. Been retired for a month now and don't think about w*rk or co-workers at all.

Seize the day....Soli Deo gloria
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #308
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to work there? Well, you know what I mean. Believe me, a month or so after you leave, you WILL NOT care what they are doing back at the office.

And they wonít care about you either so do it

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #309

My retirement paperwork has been submitted!! Halloween is my last day, with only 16 more days here between now and then! 6 mos ahead of original schedule!! Yay!! And we just bought the retirement home in Northwest NJ on a lake, with a farm next door! Fresh eggs, a dock, private lake, garden, mature fruit trees, 50x50 raspberry patch...and more! Good times ahead!!
Old 09-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
My retirement paperwork has been submitted!! Halloween is my last day, with only 16 more days here between now and then! 6 mos ahead of original schedule!! Yay!! And we just bought the retirement home in Northwest NJ on a lake, with a farm next door! Fresh eggs, a dock, private lake, garden, mature fruit trees, 50x50 raspberry patch...and more! Good times ahead!!
So excited for you!!!! Congratulations!!!

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #311
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My retirement paperwork has been submitted!! Halloween is my last day...
Lemme guess: the "treat" is finally getting there...and the "trick" was figuring out how to finally get there?

Congrats!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #312

Quote:
Congratulations to you!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #313
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm retiring December 20th and counting the days. There was an all employee meeting today that I HATED. The place is getting toxic with a focus on increasing numbers but little interest in quality. They'd like me to remain part time but I 'm thinking I won't. My attitude is getting negative and I don't want to live like that.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #314

Retiring at the end of the month, and have pretty much passed on all my work to my successors.

None too soon, as we've moved away and I'm living in a hotel during the week.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #315

I FIRED on 1/1/19. Loving almost every minute of it. When people ask me what it's like, I say...

"It used to be that I spent 80% of my time wor*ing and 20% having fun, and now it's just the opposite" (the work I do now is mostly house and car maintenance, not a J-O-B)
Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #316

^^^^ I tell people I can get so much more done, now that I don't waste 9-10 hours a day w*rking. And it is true.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #317

Quote:
^^^^ I tell people I can get so much more done, now that I don't waste 9-10 hours a day w*rking. And it is true.

+1

Yes!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
And they wonít care about you either so do it
Thatís kind of sad that you all had that kind of work life. And Iím sure as the years go by, that is true, just like with old friends anywhere. Iíve been retired since 6/1 and have had lunch 4 times with my old friends/co-workers and they are always very glad to see me, talk shop, life, and investing. We were friends and coworkers for some of us, over 30 years, and while we donít do and never did much together not working, it was because time was never there, and face it, if you spend 10 hours a day, 5 days a week (and sometimes 7) working and living (depending on the project)... why would you after work?

And most of us retirees get together for a monthly breakfast and a monthly dinner social club. Retirement has been great, plenty busy, finishing up lots of home projects (back splash was a great success) , working out, (not at the moment, final week of recovery from hernia surgery), vacations planned (2 weeks in the UK, Miami, Philly, NY), but I am definitely part of the cohort that does miss the ď being relevantĒ and I enjoyed being the ďAnswer ManĒ. But at least I am not looking for an assignment for the next 2 years or so. 2 of the guys I retired with, both 68/69, went right back to work doing basically the same thing for old customers on 20hr + week schedules! And they absolutely do not need the money. But the idea that they CAN make as much as they are, while getting their pensions and severance pay is almost intoxicating to them.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #319

Retired!
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Retired!
Congrats!
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote