Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #321
Recycles dryer sheets

looks like I'm going OMY

getting a great deal at work Maybe 2020 good thing is it certainly wont be a skinny fire when I finally quit working
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #322
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Retired!
Old 09-28-2019, 03:00 AM   #323

So I've been retired for two months now but it sure doesn't feel like it. I've been busy busy busy making arrangements for our move to Florida, selling/donating/discarding half our "stuff", and packing the rest. We have another few weeks before the move itself. Maybe I can take a few days off after I finish unpacking. LOL.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #324
Full time employment: Posting here.

bUU, imagine trying to do all that stuff, AND w*rking! I like being fun-employed, but you do have to watch out to keep it fun sometimes.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #325
Recycles dryer sheets

Iím getting there, but slowly.

80 calendar days but only 57 work days until I retire - class of 2019!

Iím breaking one of my cardinal rules.....wishing time would go by faster, but itís hard not to.
Class of 2019
Old 10-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2019

Class of 2019...52 work days to go.
Offered to stay part time in 2020 but may be changing my mind.

A part of me feels like I have "Stockholm syndrome" - a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity. Most days, I feel frustrated at the chaotic environment and foolish decisions by admin.

I thought I'd feel happier being this close to RE !

thoughts ??
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #327

^^^^^^ While you are working, you feel like you are doing important things for your clients/projects, etc. And, you probably are. And your life and thoughts can revolve around this.

But, there is an entirely different life waiting for you out there that does NOT involve the stuff at your job. After you leave, you may miss it, and the people there, but they will get along without you, and you can concentrate on other things in life.

Be sure you at least try to have a rough plan for what you will do with yourself day to day...hobbies/projects around the house/travel/volunteer work, etc. This will help you as you change your focus to a (better) world that does not involve wasting 10 hours a day at w*rk.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post

A part of me feels like I have "Stockholm syndrome" - a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity. Most days, I feel frustrated at the chaotic environment and foolish decisions by admin.

thoughts ??
I think my BS bucket is full. We have a new CEO, and the decisions coming down make me want to bang my head against the desk. I'm excited at times, but getting my successor in place has not gone smoothly to say the least.

I do smile to myself when someone says "we'll review this again next year"- cause I won't be here....
Old 10-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #329

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post

thoughts ??
Many people likely go through stages of this feeling. We devoted ourselves to a cause or profession and decide to walk away from the playing field. If health is in sharp decline, if the game was rough or toxic, much easier to walk.

For me there was some inner turmoil until I told my boss about retiring. Next day, the birds sang more and the sun shone brighter. Still had to wrestle with some retirement anxieties, but all is better after a few months of FIRE!
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #330
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
I've been contemplating Dec 31, 2019 as my official date to stop W-2 income and focus on the next stage of life. DW and I will both be 55 years old then and we should have plenty of $ socked away. It's exciting to start planning for a different set of priorities. 2148 days to go!
I posted this back in 2014. Well, I officially pulled the plug earlier this week (on Sep 30, 2019) and did it at age 54. I'm calling it my "semi-retirement" because eventually I'll probably do some things that will bring in extra income - e.g., part-time, contract, entrepreneurial, etc. The nice thing is...we don't need to do anything if we don't feel like it. For now, I'm taking some down time after working for 42+ years nonstop (since I was a twelve year old with a paper route)! What a great feeling. Woohoo!

Good luck to everyone on your own journey toward accomplishing your goals.

Downtown
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
I posted this back in 2014. Well, I officially pulled the plug earlier this week (on Sep 30, 2019) and did it at age 54. I'm calling it my "semi-retirement" because eventually I'll probably do some things that will bring in extra income - e.g., part-time, contract, entrepreneurial, etc. The nice thing is...we don't need to do anything if we don't feel like it. For now, I'm taking some down time after working for 42+ years nonstop (since I was a twelve year old with a paper route)! What a great feeling. Woohoo!

Good luck to everyone on your own journey toward accomplishing your goals.

Downtown
Congrats on pulling the plug! You might find yourself enjoying your free days so much that thoughts about working part-time or whatnot will fade along with the thoughts of your working life!
O2Bfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #332

Hey, remember me? I started here in 2003 as a Young Dreamer (and even earlier in the old TMF REHP board), and Friday October 11 I'll be early retired at age 49! ("In my 40s")

Or at least semi-retired. I'll probably try to dabble in some computer-based side hustles for money.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ack-13987.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-14064.html
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #333

Congrats! Isn' it great when a plan works out?
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #334
Recycles dryer sheets

Iím not able to join the Class of 2019 but I am thankful for all of you posting. Itís great motivation for those of us with slightly longer countdowns before we can retire. One day though Iíll be doing the retirement happy dance!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #335

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
Hey, remember me? I started here in 2003 as a Young Dreamer (and even earlier in the old TMF REHP board), and Friday October 11 I'll be early retired at age 49! ("In my 40s")

Or at least semi-retired. I'll probably try to dabble in some computer-based side hustles for money.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ack-13987.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-14064.html
I'm done!

I have no job, no work laptop, no work phone, no badge, no responsibilities.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #336
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm done!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #337

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm done!

Whoop-whoop!!! Congratulations!!!

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #338
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm starting to get cold feet. Anyone else have this problem?

Talk me off the ledge!! Or is that back on the ledge? I'm so confused.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #339
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
I'm starting to get cold feet. Anyone else have this problem?

Talk me off the ledge!! Or is that back on the ledge? I'm so confused.
Buy yourself a foot warmer, then retire. You won't know what you are missing until you get here.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #340

^^^^ +1. Right up to the day you do leave, you can find a bunch of reasons not to (if you are trying to). If your financials are sound, and tools like FireCalc say you are good, then just do it. Life really is better on the other side of the fence.