Join Early Retirement Today

No longer 2019...OMY set in
Old 12-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No longer 2019...OMY set in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Well, I've had some time to play and currently experimenting with career options. Currently, working harder than I want but enjoying the nicer weather.

Originally, before reading various forums, counting all the nickels, and reviewing expenses, I was just hopeful of targeting age 55.

Now, after a few years, I am targeting 2019, either age 49 or age 50 depending on time of year. I will be a landlord, somewhat, so it'll be semi-ER, but it'll give me alot of ME time with the family and myself.

5 years from now seems long, but better than 2024 which I was previously thinking.
I'm getting booted from the Class of 2019. I'm still targeting before 55, so I have a few years to OMY! I'm still enjoying most of the w*rk and learning new technology, so it's a bit fun.

As for the OMY, I have several countdown clocks for several $$ milestones.

From Dec 2019... countdown milestones:
4 months away - Mar 2020 Bonus and RSU vesting
9 months away - Aug 2020 eight week paid sabbatical and RSU vesting
16 months away - Mar 2021 Bonus and RSU vesting
21 months away - Aug 2021 RSU vesting
28 months away - Mar 2022 Bonus and RSU vesting

So, Mar 2022 might be FIRE for me as the next milestone would be Mar 2023, too long to wait. It would still be before my 53rd birthday, so I'm content for now. If the BS bucket overflows, then I can be done.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #362

Mr. Simple Girl is finally retiring, with his last day of work being Dec 31, 2019. Sooooo...does that mean we are in the class of 2019 or 2020?

Either way, we are for sure going to finally be in the fully FIRED club!

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Mr. Simple Girl is finally retiring, with his last day of work being Dec 31, 2019. Sooooo...does that mean we are in the class of 2019 or 2020?

Either way, we are for sure going to finally be in the fully FIRED club!
2019 for sure - I'm claiming class of 2019 since 1/3 is just the end of the first week after 12/31
Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #364

And I won't be staying the whole shift, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
2019 for sure - I'm claiming class of 2019 since 1/3 is just the end of the first week after 12/31
I agree with Big_Hitter. The instant I exit the gate on 31 Dec I will be retired. Since it will be well before midnight, that constitutes Retired in 2019.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I agree with Big_Hitter. The instant I exit the gate on 31 Dec I will be retired. Since it will be well before midnight, that constitutes Retired in 2019.

That's it, then, we are claiming class of 2019 with you all!

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Joined class of 2019 as of Dec 1
Old 12-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #366
Dryer sheet wannabe

Joined class of 2019 as of Dec 1

Another member of the class of 2019. Employment ended at end of November. So far, retired for 5 days. Water feels fine.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #367
Recycles dryer sheets

So Its cocktail and cigar time on my patio here in north Scottsdale and I guess Im completing my first week of retirement if I measure Time in work days.

And I don't know what I am feeling.

Certainly it has been a leisurely week. It is sort of like vacation but vacation in the past always meant going somewhere or doing something “special”. I know I will figure it out, but this first week has been a bit in the fog for me.

Anyone relate?
Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to all 2019 graduates, it has been 3 months for me and I am glad to be a part of it at the age of 50 !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 162E130D-51F0-43A1-9BA8-4296A316D856.jpeg (150.9 KB, 40 views)
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #369
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoesmith View Post
So Its cocktail and cigar time on my patio here in north Scottsdale and I guess Im completing my first week of retirement if I measure Time in work days.

Certainly it has been a leisurely week. It is sort of like vacation but vacation in the past always meant going somewhere or doing something “special”. I know I will figure it out, but this first week has been a bit in the fog for me.

Anyone relate?
Oh yes, we can all relate for sure. Kind of like graduating from high school or maybe college. Bittersweet. The quote about the ‘journey vs the destination’ rings true. It’s all good, we earned it and we all deserve it. I quit in February and never looked back. Take a road trip and get the living started. Here’s to 27% stock market returns for the year! Enjoy!
Pete10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Oh, I relate!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #370
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, I relate!

Quote:

Anyone relate?

I felt the same way...and still do, somewhat. I keep thinking that it's vacation and I'll have to go to work on Monday. I haven't, since the middle of August.

But lately I've been saying to my hubby (who retired the same day I did) "Hey, honey, guess what? It's Monday, and it's 10:00, and THEY (our former coworkers) are working, and WE are going to the club to exercise/going for a hike in a beautiful park/hanging around reading newspapers at a coffee shop..."

It's finally beginning to set in that I can do anything I want, whenever I want - within my budget, of course, but my time is my own. "My time is my own" - what an amazing statement!

You might want to find something to do to keep you occupied during those first months while you start setting a new time reality. I had to do this (schedule exercise, schedule coffee shop dates with hubby, etc.) so I didn't feel "lost", which I did the first couple of months, and still do, to some extent. It will take a while for me, but since it actually IS my new reality, I need to figure out what to do with myself, even if it's only to do whatever I want.

P.S. I'm not very good at saying what I mean about all this, I think because I'm still figuring it out - sorry (smile!)
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #371
Recycles dryer sheets

We are now doing the OMY thing... and moving to Class of 2020
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #372

Quote:
It will go something like this...

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day"

Johnny Nash
Old 12-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #373

I don't feel completely retired yet: My spouse has been implored to continue working through January. Anyone else have this feeling of being "on hold" after retirement due to a spouse's plans to retire just a short period of time later?
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #374
Dryer sheet wannabe

Late addition to the class roster.

My 33 year career wraps up at the end of the month. DW will keep working some, but has enough flexibility that we will be a lot more flexible in terms of travel and activities.
Castaspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #375
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple of surprises 2 1/2 months into retirement.

Biggest is that I'm having to work at keeping my physical activity up. Simply walking in from the parking lot, getting lunch, and stretching my legs was worth 5000 steps a day.

Second is that being able to concentrate on my personal business is very useful.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #376
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Gang
Been a while since posting. I have been reading every post, internally cheering each and every one of you in the class of 2019. I had targeted this as well, with an OMY option. Financially and other aspects of life have gone to plan. Medically it has not. Mortality is now a huge factor. I know this is in other threads but I leave it here. This is not a sympathy me post. Not at all. As part of the long term plan I did go PT several years ago and it has been wonderful. I don't hate my job. Having some work is a nice distraction now, and there are other benefits worth remaining in this holding pattern. With any luck I'll go out on my own in terms in 2020, and be around for to start Roth conversions - lol. Keep up the good work here.
Cheers
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest4Fire View Post
Hey Gang
Been a while since posting. I have been reading every post, internally cheering each and every one of you in the class of 2019. I had targeted this as well, with an OMY option. Financially and other aspects of life have gone to plan. Medically it has not. Mortality is now a huge factor. I know this is in other threads but I leave it here. This is not a sympathy me post. Not at all. As part of the long term plan I did go PT several years ago and it has been wonderful. I don't hate my job. Having some work is a nice distraction now, and there are other benefits worth remaining in this holding pattern. With any luck I'll go out on my own in terms in 2020, and be around for to start Roth conversions - lol. Keep up the good work here.
Cheers
Sorry to hear about the medical issues. Best of luck to you, and may you soon be healthy and retired on your own terms.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #378
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Sorry to hear about the medical issues. Best of luck to you, and may you soon be healthy and retired on your own terms.

Thanks. Didn’t mean to put a crimp in this thread. Want to hear from those making the finish line. Moving to class of 2020
Cheers.
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #379
Recycles dryer sheets

ms gamboolgal and I are moving to Class of 2020.

It's abit ironic that we are moving for reasons other than financial as we have met our retirement "numbers".

I do hope and pray that next Christmas in Eket, Nigeria will be the last one before retirement on 31-Dec-20 and I will then be full time devoted to chasing ms gamboolgal around the old 4 poster buck neckid back in Texas.

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go...
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
What a long, strange trip it's been
Old 12-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #380

What a long, strange trip it's been

Well, I'm out.

A day earlier than expected. I handed in my keys, laptop, access chip, corporate credit card and gate pass this morning instead of tomorrow because the boss wanted to be off for New Year's Eve. How awesome is that!

Somewhere in the house we have a copy of Dr Seuss's "Oh The Places You'll Go". I gotta dig that out and re-read it as my new life commences.

Meanwhile, I think this calls for a lunch beer.