Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

I was looking for something else yesterday in my desk and came across a set of papers I had printed off in May from my 401k. It was the balances and allotments in it. That was transferred to Wells Fargo. I kept searching and found the balances that I transferred from WF to Fidelity. I had lost around 20k. I have just pulled up my Fidelity account and must say I'm pleased with the difference today. I have not followed the ups and downs to stringently but even with the covid and goings on I am currently up from my previous total high in all over all monetary values by around $80k & that includes money taken out to buy DW a new Hylander Hybrid. Now we haven't got to do the traveling we had planned yet but I'm more confident that we will be ok when all this junk clears out we will be able to resume our "dreamretired life" Just wanted to say thanks to several here for the suggestions on how we should proceed back then.;-)
Venturer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #422
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscott2019 View Post
I suppose I need to be added to the Class of 2019 as well. I lost my job with Mega Corp in June 2019 and took some time off. Fortunately our financial position has allowed me the flexibility to make the decision that I am not going to return to work. I have throughly enjoyed these last 7 months doing a fair amount of traveling and working around the house. No more OMY for me. Congrats to all that made it to FIRE and to those working diligently in the pursuit.
I thought I would give an update on our Class of 2019 retirement. We did a fair amount of travelling immediately after retiring with several trips originally planned for this year as well. As with most people our travel plans evaporated this year but we chose to use the down time to work on our 18 year old house and give it some much needed updates. Currently working on painting the entire interior and then onto bigger and better upgrades. We are trying to put this down time to good use and I am a fairly good handyman so I have been able to accomplish everything to this point on my own and with my wife's assistance. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. It is cheaper than a gym membership and I can see the results. I have always been frugal anyway so I guess this is just an extension of my being frugal
Old 10-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #423
Full time employment: Posting here.

Feeling more comfortable lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscott2019 View Post
I thought I would give an update on our Class of 2019 retirement.
Like Pscott, I thought I'd provide a one year update. For most of the last year, I thought I would likely go back to work. There seemed to be a "Groundhog Day" element to life, especially after COVID started.

I'm just a few weeks past the one year mark, and am suddenly feeling more settled. My wife and I are finding some new activities, I've stopped my slow weight gain of the past year, and have returned to a couple of old work habits to organize my personal life.

I have applied for a few jobs, but am not doing more unless something really grabs my interest. A good friend said it took him a year to decompress, and he seems to have a point.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #424
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTedOut View Post
My wife and I went to Hawaii and spent a week on Oahu and a week on Maui. it was both our first times in HI and we throughly enjoyed ourselves. We drove all around both islands, went to more beaches than I can count, ate fantastic food, and had some great hikes and tours. This was in late January/early Feb. It was very strange because the Covid outbreak was hitting its stride in China. We were in Honolulu over the Chinese New Year and I'd guess that 60%+ of the tourist in Honolulu were Chinese, all wearing masks. My wife and I did not know enough at the time to know we should be worried. All worked out fine.

"All worked out fine"

Well funny story, my wife donated blood a month ago and her antibody test came back positive. So at some point between February and September she had Covid. Since I spend every day with her I likely had Covid as well. We don't know if it was from this Hawaii trip or something else and we will never know. But she has her first plasma donation set up. I can't donate blood or plasma as I had hepatitis when I was younger.

With the current unknown of how long the antibodies last and whether you can catch Covid again we are not really changing anything we do and still laying low.
SALTedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTedOut View Post
"All worked out fine"

Well funny story, my wife donated blood a month ago and her antibody test came back positive. So at some point between February and September she had Covid. Since I spend every day with her I likely had Covid as well. We don't know if it was from this Hawaii trip or something else and we will never know.
I'm far more interested in the result of an antibody test than an immediate COVID test as I was in the New York City area in mid-March.

I haven't had any illnesses that would make me suspect COVID, but do wonder.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #426
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello all! One year check in...so very grateful to not have to go to w*rk and deal with whatever rules are in place that week regarding COVID. We have spent the past 12 mos renovating our forever home, and after concrete in front of driveway/ramp goes in, and contractors are paid...we get to shop for living room & billiard room furniture!! Yay!! I still let out a little squeal on the 1st of each month as 2 pensions and VA disability payments arrive. Still looking forward to getting into a retirement groove

Also wish the Covid antibodies test was more reliable!
Old 04-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #427

Just checking in. Everything is still fine. Hope all is well with everyone. Still trying to keep DW from spending like a drunken sailor (I'm Army so I can bust the chops of fellow servicemen).
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #428
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doing great here!

Who knew we'd retire into a pandemic along with DH needing major surgery (lumbar fusion) in 2020? Never planned for those two things to happen in our first year of retirement!

Thankfully, DH is doing fabulously after his surgery (life changing improvement - so grateful!!!), and we have so far survived the pandemic unscathed both in terms of health and finances. We are so grateful we retired when we did so that we could hunker down, isolate, AND recover from major surgery on our own schedule with no work stress/pressure.

Now, we are planning to go do in 2021 what we had hoped to do in 2020. We have multiple trips planned for this summer. Right now we have visits to see both of our families in MO/AK/PA planned as well as a trip to Colorado. In Colorado we had planned to just visit friends, but recently a fabulous housesit/petsit in Fort Collins opened up - so we interviewed and got it. Before DH retired, we could have never just added a week onto our vacation schedule like that. The feeling of freedom to do what we want when we want is so amazing!

Still have more trips to plan including a sailing trip in Maine with my brother and hopefully a side trip to Acadia National Park. It's amazing to finally be planning to do the things we dreamed about in retirement!

Hope everyone else is doing well in retirement.

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote