Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, 55 and I am joining the class of 2019, graduating July 1. Got offered a nice PT job yesterday, but was unable to take it because of the FT job. Will be looking for one after graduation, as I am in the "probably fine" category for quitting, not the "slam dunk" category. And I can quit if I want to.

Greg
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
First full day of retirement!! Relaxing morning and off to see WW1 documentary They Shall Not Grow Old with hubby this afternoon. So thrilled that my retirement has started!
Congrats Osprey. I'm looking at going 3/4 time in 2020 (the year I turn 55).

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

OMY... Dec. 15, 2019.

I worked from home 3 days this week (in part bec of Freezing weather in NE) but find it harder to motivate myself for work tasks.

Any tips ? I use to think about the $ value of each day's work for motivation, but that is not working well now that I know DH and I are FI....but not RE yet.

My next strategy may be to plan a "Blow that Dough" vacation and use 2019 salary to pay for it.

Ideas ?? Something you planned for in your last year ?
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #124
Dryer sheet aficionado

Was not planning to retire in 2019. Got a RIF package, so here I'm. 4/1/2019.
FI50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
OMY... Dec. 15, 2019.

I worked from home 3 days this week (in part bec of Freezing weather in NE) but find it harder to motivate myself for work tasks.

Any tips ? I use to think about the $ value of each day's work for motivation, but that is not working well now that I know DH and I are FI....but not RE yet.

My next strategy may be to plan a "Blow that Dough" vacation and use 2019 salary to pay for it.

Ideas ?? Something you planned for in your last year ?
I'm retiring a month later than you, which puts me in the next years class. But I'm eavesdropping on this thread too. I have a lot of once per year tasks, now that I'm into my final year, I am cheerfully checking off things I never have to do again.

You could begin planning your retirement vacation. I'm thinking a month on the beach somewhere- Costa Rica maybe? My husband has NOT agreed to this (yet) but dreaming about it makes me smile.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI50 View Post
Was not planning to retire in 2019. Got a RIF package, so here I'm. 4/1/2019.
Congrats! If only my company would RIF me with a package!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Congrats! If only my company would RIF me with a package!
Ditto!
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishvt View Post
If I wasn’t doing “no beer January” I would have a beer.
No beer January? What the heck? Why?? Glad I missed this post cause Jan is over, and now I don't have to consider this. Honestly no wine would be harder. If there is a no wine month I do NOT want to know what it is.

Congrats- how did the announcement go?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #129

I wrote out my resignation letter last year, dating it January 2nd. Last week, I was annoyed at work, and updated the date. Every time I do so, it makes me feel better. Knowing it's written, and ready to submit. Maybe one day this year, I'll actually turn it in!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #130
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks. Announcement went great . I did the “no beer January “ because we have really good craft beer here in Vermont and way too many calories were being consumed.
I am now having a beer!!
fishvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #131

Ok, I'm officially in for the class of 2019 - submitted my resignation paper two days ago. My last day of work will be June 1, 2019!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #132

Like it or not I'm here. I bailed from the class of 2021. I verbally told my manager yesterday that my last day will be 13 April. Numbers say I can. DW is currently in the hospital and SIL passed away this morning after a week of illness. Life is too short. My manager understood as her Father retired the day he turned 62. I hope this next phase in life is all that members here say.
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Like it or not I'm here. I bailed from the class of 2021. I verbally told my manager yesterday that my last day will be 13 April. Numbers say I can. DW is currently in the hospital and SIL passed away this morning after a week of illness. Life is too short. My manager understood as her Father retired the day he turned 62. I hope this next phase in life is all that members here say.
Congrats and it will be.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Have pretty well decided on afew more months that will push us into 2020, 1-Jun-20 is our new retirement date.

Main reason is to build up the pile abit more.

But can go at anytime between now and then....if things become too aggravating or something else. That is a nice feeling for sure
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #135

Quote:
I hope all is well with your wife and sorry for the loss of SIL.
Retirement is everything you hope/make it be. To me, it's wonderful.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #136

Got the green-light to use 400 hours of sick leave (12 weeks) under FMLA. There's only 9 weeks until 13 April. Used some for SIL's funeral. DW is still in the hospital. She is expected to get out Thursday (21 Feb) and will require daily care. Will need to go in to w*rk periodically to wind things down and hand over duties. The apprehension of doing this is probably worse than the event itself.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #137

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear of your SIL's passing and your wife's hospitalization...I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. You need time to be with them and take care of important things - I'm glad you are retiring.
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

It's finally official now. Gave my notice yesterday, effective July 1, which surprised my manager, but he's very happy for me. Next 4.5 months will probably go slow, but determined to do my best until time to go. Already have trips planned for July and August. This morning definitely has a different "feel" to it.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #139

Things are slowing down at work so the boss and I mutually concluded it was time to move on. Essentially I volunteered to retire early, taking the heat off for him to let someone go from the management team. My plan is to work through 14-June, use up vacation and process out 8-July.

Feels pretty darn good now that I've had a chance to think it all through! DW will have been retired for 2 years by June and she has been on me to get on with it.

Looking forward to a new and wonderful phase in our lives!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #140

Turned in my official resignation letter today with an end date of 13 April. The anxiety leading up to this point is like a HUGE weight off my shoulders. Will turn 55 later this year. DW is home but requires daily care as well as visits from physical therapy and a home nurse. DS can stay at the house for those days I do need to come and wind things down. Personally told 5 levels of managers (who all have been great the last 7 years) and they were all supportive of my decision.