Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
I am in for the class of 2021 (55 yo). Not sure what I'm going to do at that point, but it will be nice to be FI.
I am in the 2021 class too. I have a list a mile long on my iPad of things we are going to do. The financial part to me is relatively easy. Its the lifestyle that I spend most of my time thinking about.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unfortunately, the missus is not scheduled to retire at the same time as me in 2021/22 so I think the initial plan for me is to be the prime for the bulk of the household chores (laundry, cooking, errands, etc) which I actually don't mind doing.
I'm trying to line up a "fun" job too.
Class of 2021
Old 03-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #43

Class of 2021

Today is DWs last as a federal employee. Its earlier than we planned but her bucket was overflowing. I predict shell take a break through summer then find another j*b. Then again, maybe not. Just shows how the best laid plans can change. I still think I can pull the plug in 2021, assuming the Personal Capital/Retirement Planning page is right.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #44

You go! Just started a new project which will help the time to fly. GO 2021!
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #45

I took a class at the local community college on retirement finances just to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything and I wasn't. I knew 95% of what they taught just by hanging around forums like this one.
The one interesting thing they brought up was that about 10% plan to retire before 60, but reality is about 20% or more actually do, not by choice, but because of circumstance.
I also wonder how stats like this play into so many taking SS at 62 when they are forced to retire earlier than expected.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

New here and joining the countdown. FIRE date for me can be May 2021 to get a full pension and for DH probably 2019 although talking about 2018 dates too. The two co-workers I'm closest to are retiring this year making me wonder how I'll survive a little less than 3 years w/o them! Trying to refocus my brain on planning and life after FIRE to help make the time fly. It's both scary to think of giving up a regular salary check and exciting to think about being able to travel and not have to plan around taking the fewest number of days off so we don't run out of leave!
goingtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtotravel View Post
New here and joining the countdown. FIRE date for me can be May 2021 to get a full pension and for DH probably 2019 although talking about 2018 dates too. The two co-workers I'm closest to are retiring this year making me wonder how I'll survive a little less than 3 years w/o them! Trying to refocus my brain on planning and life after FIRE to help make the time fly. It's both scary to think of giving up a regular salary check and exciting to think about being able to travel and not have to plan around taking the fewest number of days off so we don't run out of leave!
Welcome. We need to keep motivating each other to hang in there!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtotravel View Post
I ride the emotional roller coaster as well. I have days where I am so excited and then others where I think I am making the mistake of my life. In the bad times I try and focus on what I am retiring to, not what I am leaving. It helps.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Tomorrow will be the 999th day before retirement based on my earliest planning date. Not that I'm counting or anything!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello my fellow esteemed candidates of the class of 2021! I finally searched to see if a class had been organized - what was I thinking -- of course there was! We are targeting March/April 2021 time frame. We'll relocate to my home state of FL. Can't wait!
cynicalbuthopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:59 AM   #51

Congrats! Welcome to the group. We need to encourage each other to hang in there.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #52

Welcome aboard!
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #53
Confused about dryer sheets

My target is December 2021, when I turn 60. So far, we seem to be on track.
davemd1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome davemd -- stop in and introduce yourself at Hi, I am thread!
Old 09-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #55

How's everyone doing? Ran the numbers this morning and we have a chance to be FI in 2021.

Target retirement income: $137,500k

$122,108 - Low end (0% nominal returns, no bonuses)
$136,024 - Most likely (4% nominal, bonuses)
$155,067 - High end (7% nominal returns, save all excess income)

So, we still have a shot for Mar 2021. OMY would put us over the top for sure. We'll see how the next three years go.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

how is everyone doing? Anyone else feeling a bit nervous? DH and I need the markets to continue to cooperate!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #57

I started backing down on equity exposure earlier this year and started “bucketizing” my first 3-4 years of retirement income in a bond ladder. Return sequence risk for our retirement class is very real after riding the rise in equities for the last 9 years. I am all about preserving capital now. I’ll rebalance later for continued growth.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost the same strategy here as COcheesehead. Backed down on our equity allocation last year. Increased our savings amount but that money is going into a bucket to be used for our first few years of retirement or whenever the market corrects after retirement. Fully expecting some type of correction between now and 20121.

To answer cynicalbuthopeful's question. Vacillating between nervous and excited that 2021 is quickly approaching. Trying to calm down about it by looking at our budget and projected income and reassuring ourselves that there is wiggle room if needed.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #59

I am cautiously optimistic. I am mostly aiming for FI in 2021 @ age 55. I have not been brave enough to commit to RE just yet. Still like my job and is allowing us to save boatloads of money, so OMY after FI would not be a deal breaker.

No change to my investing, though. 60/40 with 25% international all in index funds. Don't think I will ever change that. In reality, I just need to make it to 70 and SS as my COLA pension and SS will cover all our expenses. Anything left in the portfolio at that point will be blow that dough or inheritance.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #60

Sorry everyone. I'm bailing from the class of 2021 and moving to the class of 2019. I verbally told my manager yesterday that my last day will be 13 April. Numbers say I can. DW is currently in the hospital and SIL passed away this morning after a week of illness. Life is too short. My manager understood as her Father retired the day he turned 62. I hope this next phase in life is all that members here say.