Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Sorry everyone. I'm bailing from the class of 2021 and moving to the class of 2019. I verbally told my manager yesterday that my last day will be 13 April. Numbers say I can. DW is currently in the hospital and SIL passed away this morning after a week of illness. Life is too short. My manager understood as her Father retired the day he turned 62. I hope this next phase in life is all that members here say.
CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope you will find that retirement is better than expected; I did anyway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Sorry everyone. I'm bailing from the class of 2021 and moving to the class of 2019. I verbally told my manager yesterday that my last day will be 13 April. Numbers say I can. DW is currently in the hospital and SIL passed away this morning after a week of illness. Life is too short. My manager understood as her Father retired the day he turned 62. I hope this next phase in life is all that members here say.

Congrats, exciting change in your life. 2 months to go! Let us know how it is going in 6 months.
ChrisTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Congratulations
Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations

Quote:
Very sorry to hear about your DW and SIL -- but congratulations on the decision to accelerate your retirement. While my date can't move up, I am actively look for a role that would allow me to move to FL sooner rather than later. Please let us know how things go as you move into the next season of your life. Enjoy!
cynicalbuthopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #64
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm planning to graduate from the real world in January 2021 at the age of 56.
I'll have 33 years in with my employer at that time and am just feeling like it is time for me to go.
Funny thing is, when I first started I figured that I'd be here a couple of years to build up my resume and then would move onward and upward. Life intervened. Got married, had a couple of kids, worked my way up to middle management and in a blink of an eye, here we are.
The difficult part for me now is to stay focused and to continue to be a productive member of the team. Am really getting itchy to start the new phase of my life.
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky View Post
The difficult part for me now is to stay focused and to continue to be a productive member of the team. Am really getting itchy to start the new phase of my life.
The closer you get, the harder it becomes to w#-k!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll throw my hat into this ring. Wanted to RE at 57 but decided not to burn through 2.5 years of cash. March 1, 2021 I'll be 59.5 and will be my last day at w%$k.

Coz
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I'm finding that to be frustratingly true! Feel at times that I am not pulling my weight, which isn't fair to my employer or co-workers.
Am seriously considering getting out of here in January 2020 at 55, as I will be FI. However, leaving a year early would penalize my pension by a few hundred per month and would disqualify me from company retirement health insurance. However, was planning on going ACA anyway as that is the more affordable path. Faced with this decision gives me an appreciation for those who OMY. [emoji3]
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Yes! My office is planning for projects that go live in 2023 or later. Even if I decide to OMY that still means FIRE before that. Trying to find a balance between providing enough work contribution and letting the people who will be stuck supporting new efforts do the heavy lifting for those long term projects.
goingtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #69

I’m moving out of the class of ‘21 and into the class of ‘19! Yay!
Yodajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

My plan is retire at the end of Jan 2021 - when I make 20 years in Federal service, the point at which the pension calculation jumps up by 10%. In my case, that will amount to about $3500 per year more than if I retire a month earlier. And by then I hope to have identified and trained my successor. As of this moment, the countdown app on my desktop says 653 days to go.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll tentatively join this class! My earliest date is June 2021 just after youngest child graduates college. The finances are in order already to meet our modest $60k planned budget but DW will not budge on at least one of us having a (professional) job until he's out of college.

The flip side is that it's spring. Spring is when I always get bored with work and start longing for more time for hobbies. Talk to me in the fall and I might be all for pushing things to 2022 because I actually do enjoy my job most of the time. Plus, now that I've switched to working internationally I feel like I am getting some of the benefits of retirement (cheaper/shorter travel to some places + immersion in a different country) while still working.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to YodaJazz for moving to the class of 2019!

Welcome to Robert the Red and Physics Guy. Class of 2021 doesn't sound so far off in the future now does it?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Hard core class of 2020 here! However, will push it to 2021. Happy family occasions are on their way and I don't want to move out of state. As long as I'm living here I might as well be working here!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtotravel View Post
Congrats to YodaJazz for moving to the class of 2019!

Welcome to Robert the Red and Physics Guy. Class of 2021 doesn't sound so far off in the future now does it?
Countdown app on my desktop say "649 Days left". I'm not expressing it in minutes (would be 933,344 - at least it's under a million now).
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

2021 sounds oddly close and oddly far away. Roughly 15 years ago we planned to retire in 2018. DW has become less sanguine about tuition for the child still in college and I've found a job that feels roughly like a working retirement for now so we've pushed it off.

On the other hand it is amazing that the plan has come together so well over the last 25 years (we started the process well before we really set a date).
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red View Post
Countdown app on my desktop say "649 Days left". I'm not expressing it in minutes (would be 933,344 - at least it's under a million now).

I’m two days ahead of you. My app says 647 days left. Never broke it down by minutes yet.
KMyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Confession -- I have been sulking...
Old 05-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Confession -- I have been sulking...

Classmates, My plan to use the rule of 55 to retire in the Spring of 2021 was a good one, but I missed a detail. The plan document requires 10 years with the firm. I won't have that. We will still retire in 2021 because DH will turn 59 1/2 later in the year, but I am irked that I relied on the SPD, which did not have the detail about the 10 year requirement. DH says I should still stop working in the Spring of 2021, but now that I think about it....HEY, he's going to make me do all the prep work for the move..... sneaky DH
cynicalbuthopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

100 weeks left to ER, 700 calendars days left, 500 work days (not counting PTO). DH is thinking about moving his RE date up by a year or so and he may be the class of 2019 or 2020. Already talking about taking a long trip to celebrate. It's starting to feel 'real' now.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtotravel View Post
100 weeks left to ER, 700 calendars days left, 500 work days (not counting PTO). DH is thinking about moving his RE date up by a year or so and he may be the class of 2019 or 2020. Already talking about taking a long trip to celebrate. It's starting to feel 'real' now.

Congrats! This timeline and plan is similar to us. DW is semi-RE with a new 30 hour/week, less-demanding job while she waits for me to finish a big project at work in either 18 or 24 months, depending on some factors. At that point, the plan is for me to quit and rent out the house so we can take a Gap Year focused on travel. Maybe we’ll see you “out there.” [emoji41]
Markola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am hesitantly declaring myself as Class of '21 as well. Born in '66, so that's the year I turn 55, and can get a hold of my 401k, though I already have the IRA I inherited from DH that I can access now without penalty.

For me, the hesitancy is not really about the numbers--i could bail today if I wanted--it's more about still trying to figure out what I would do with myself. I'm guessing my company would want to keep me on contract, or even part-time, which I would take if I could still have health insurance. My job is very low stress, I telecommute two days a week, so it already feels part-time. [emoji2]

So, while I try to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of my life, I figure I'll take advantage of a few more years of mega backdoor Roth capabilities and pad the savings a bit more.

Looking forward to reading about everyone else in the class!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote