Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
We've been planning an Aug 2023 exit for the last few years, since that's the first year my wife can take her pension and I can withdraw from my IRA penalty free. However, I took a new look at our finances and investments recently and we have moved our exit date to Dec 2022. We'll live off our savings in 2023, delaying my wife's pension till Jan 2024 to boost the payments slightly. Ironically, this allows us to retire earlier with a better success rate.

There are a few things that could even push our exit forward to 2021, but I'm not considering those options unless they actually occur. Unfortunately, there's also an issue that could push our plans back a few years. So the next few years will be interesting, and stressful, to see what happens. Until then we're saving like crazy people.
Good luck on that. I'm also maxing my 401K. Unfortunately, we had some health expenses this year to deal with, and also financial help for DW family. Hopefully I can save more the 2nd half of the year
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

A bit of a milestone for me today. 1000 days to my targeted retirement date.
That's split between 611 actual work days and 389 weekends, stat holidays, and vacation days.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
A bit of a milestone for me today. 1000 days to my targeted retirement date.
That's split between 611 actual work days and 389 weekends, stat holidays, and vacation days.
Nice!!! I'm very close to that same date for ER. I continue to sock it away to ensure that I hit my ER date with no regrets.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

About 10 days behind YVRRocketSurgery. I hit 1000 days left tomorrow, but who is counting!

Omalley
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #45

I haven't told anyone at work about my intentions to retire in April 2022 yet. I probably won't do so until late 2021 so I can provide enough time for my manager to hire and train a replacement while at the same time hope they don't give me some ridiculous project to complete in Q1 2022.

However, I've had to bite my tongue the last year during project planning sessions and career development discussions.
One project I've been working on for the last year and a half has had multiple components broken into different phases. I've led many of the components up to now. However, we've been planning out the last component and estimate it will have about 6 phases and run to the end of 2023. I had reservations working on it 3/5ths of the way through and then dumping it onto someone else's lap who probably would have been better off managing it from the start. Please don't give it to me I was thinking. I was kind of relieved when my coworker agreed to take it on and I just take a supporting role backing her up, etc. In the mean time, I've been taking on shorter term projects with quicker turn arounds.

On the flip side, I keep getting offers and suggestions to move into different (and higher stress) roles because "it could be a great opportunity to set you up for a promotion" for essentially another similar role, albeit higher paying. I keep saying I'm happy in the team I'm in currently and just focused on doing a good job on the projects I'm working on now. The missus says I might as well try get a promotion and earn a few more dollars before I retire. But I'm more about keeping the stress levels down for these last 30 odd months. It's also kind of good for my office interactions because I'm not perceived as competition to opportunities and promotions.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I thought I provide an update a year after my initial post and report on progress and thoughts.

Quote:
Savings to date: $1.7MM, 70/30 split, 60% post tax, 40% 401k. House (1,500 sqft, 200k market value) paid off.
I am now at $1.9MM getting closer to the $2.5MM goal.

Quote:
Why 2022?

I should have $2.5MM by then. This is about $500k above my projections what I need to RE with a 3.5% WR.
I am kind of worried about market performance over the next couple of years. Feels like a good idea to wait out the next dip.
I am still worried about the next major dip, but I am not changing investment strategy.... We will see.

Quote:
My daughter living in Germany should have finished her college degree by 2022, giving me peace of mind she has a good start of her own.
First year of college completed. Good grades and she likes it!

Quote:
My son will be in 11th grade. I am looking forward to spend more time with him during his last year in school before he moves out and goes to college.
My big dream is to convert a van to a RV and tour the US/Canada for a year or two. This won't be possible until my son is in college and I need a few months to build this thing.
I may change my plans and ask boss for 32h/week part-time work in 2021. That way I have 3 or 4 day weekends for RV travels and I can gradually ease out of work life. Not sure of boss agrees. This plan may delay my overall retirement to 2023. Anyone thinking about part-time? Any experience?
fassmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:59 PM   #47

I am planning on 2022. Not sure exactly what month. Probably mid-year but may stay on part-time until year end. Kids will be off to college that August. I dislike my job but like the income so just hoping I can stop the OMY mentality in 2022. I am trying to work less/make less so it's not as much of a drop off. Not quite counting the days, and don't want to waste 3 years of life between now and then, but definitely looking to 2022 with excitement. That's been my target for about 3 years and it is still looking like the plan. Fingers crossed all goes as planned. #2022
Old 11-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
Tentatively looking in on this thread as June 2021 and June 2022 are our two most likely dates. FI now for our modest needs but working because I still enjoy it. The combo makes a real target deadline difficult!
I recently signed a new contract to work until June 2022. Still like the work and the work related visa that allows us to live in Korea. We don't need the money but I'm finding it a good way to ease into retirement hobbies. I don't have the time that I want to spend on them but because I have already met my target amount I've been able to convince myself to spend a little more freely
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
I recently signed a new contract to work until June 2022. Still like the work and the work related visa that allows us to live in Korea. We don't need the money but I'm finding it a good way to ease into retirement hobbies. I don't have the time that I want to spend on them but because I have already met my target amount I've been able to convince myself to spend a little more freely
The key to me is that you LIKE the work. I like the MONEY but not the work. If you like the work I say keep working! To me the ability to retire "early" is an advantage for people who don't like the work. Just my two cents. Good luck to you!
Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #50

My problem is that it's not black and white.
I like a lot of aspects of my job but there are parts that drive me insane. I work on multiple initiatives and projects at the same time. If it's a good team and it's a well thought out initiative, then I'm usually in a happy place. However, sometimes I get dropped into pretty impossible situations and have to deal with people/resourcing conflicts, funding issues, ridiculous timelines, etc. That's when I'm constantly thinking about solutions during the offhours and I get pretty stressed out.

I was humming along for about a year and a half on this great project and then had two other projects added to my plate that have been sucking the life out of me for the last 5 months.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
My problem is that it's not black and white.
I like a lot of aspects of my job but there are parts that drive me insane. I work on multiple initiatives and projects at the same time. If it's a good team and it's a well thought out initiative, then I'm usually in a happy place. However, sometimes I get dropped into pretty impossible situations and have to deal with people/resourcing conflicts, funding issues, ridiculous timelines, etc. That's when I'm constantly thinking about solutions during the offhours and I get pretty stressed out.

I was humming along for about a year and a half on this great project and then had two other projects added to my plate that have been sucking the life out of me for the last 5 months.
Ya, that's sort of sucky. It lulls you to sleep when things are good and then wham-o hits you hard when it's bad. Mine is more consistently marginal with doses of horrible mixed in. Except on quarterly bonus day things usually seem great that day. I feel I could work forever those 4 days a year. Ha, ha!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #52

I booted myself from the Class of 2019. Before 55, so OMYing! I'm still enjoying most of the w*rk and learning new technology, so I'm weird.

My OMYing is based on a few $$ milestones, several big (to me) $$ incentives, so it's a game to get more fun $$ with kids in grade school still.

From Dec 2019... countdown milestones:
4 months away - Mar 2020 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2020 eight week paid sabbatical and RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2021 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2021 RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2022 Bonus and RSU vesting

So, Mar 2022 might be FIRE as the next milestone would be 12 full months away, Mar 2023, too long to wait. It would still be before my 53rd birthday, so I'm content for now. If the BS bucket overflows, then I can be done sooner.

Howdy all!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
I booted myself from the Class of 2019. Before 55, so OMYing! I'm still enjoying most of the w*rk and learning new technology, so I'm weird.

My OMYing is based on a few $$ milestones, several big (to me) $$ incentives, so it's a game to get more fun $$ with kids in grade school still.

From Dec 2019... countdown milestones:
4 months away - Mar 2020 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2020 eight week paid sabbatical and RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2021 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2021 RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2022 Bonus and RSU vesting

So, Mar 2022 might be FIRE as the next milestone would be 12 full months away, Mar 2023, too long to wait. It would still be before my 53rd birthday, so I'm content for now. If the BS bucket overflows, then I can be done sooner.

Howdy all!
Well, welcome to the class of '22! We are happy to have you. My work has been sucky sucky lately so I might move up to 2019 myself! Lol. I'll keep holding on but dealing with crazy California employee v. employer laws and as one of the owners I am on the losing end. Truly amazing but I won't get into it here. Instead of one more year I am currently in the one more day club. Lol. Day to day but still planning on '22 as the finale!
Old 12-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Well, welcome to the class of '22! We are happy to have you. My work has been sucky sucky lately so I might move up to 2019 myself! Lol. I'll keep holding on but dealing with crazy California employee v. employer laws and as one of the owners I am on the losing end. Truly amazing but I won't get into it here. Instead of one more year I am currently in the one more day club. Lol. Day to day but still planning on '22 as the finale!
Thanks CaliKid for the welcome. I thought I saw you in the Class of 2019 saying you had enough. Being FI allows us to walk away. Sucky sucky is not good, hopefully during the holiday you will take an extended break!

I won't lie, I have a few days here and there asking myself, what am I doing here. Besides the $$ aspects, I'm wondering what I want to do next with younger kids, it's not like I can travel extensively. One day between now and Mar 2022, I might just walk away but I will consider the milestone dates.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:52 AM   #55

Welcome Aiming.

It really shouldn't be a surprise but I still get a kick from some many themes being so common.
I've frequently thought about OMY too. The thought of using that extra year purely for fun money is really appealing. But as you also mention, I'm not sure how much more my BS bucket can handle. Normally, I enjoy most aspect of my job but the last number of months have been painful. Things typically start slowing down in December but this year it's been a gong show for various ridiculous reasons. With the front end of 2022 rounding into being only 2 years away I would so consider getting packaged out.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #56

Thanks YVR for the welcome. Extra fun money or acts of kindness appeal to me. I'm not comfortable doing kind acts in public, but every so often, I read an article where someone made someone's day by picking up the bill for a meal or sponsoring an event for local kids, etc. during non-holiday time would be nice.

I doubt I would ever get offered a package, but I would love to be packaged out or company change of ownership would be great for RSUs.

Looking forward to counting down the months and days. Cheers!
Old 12-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Someday's days I think if work wasn't so sucky sucky I'd work for many more years.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

My job changes from highly flexible, highly rewarding to high-stresses, almost can't do it anymore.
Part of this is from my own work anxiety. By all practical measures my job is really good but there is a level of anxiety I have that makes some days really hard to deal with.

My end of 2022 date might be a bit optimistic now with some college goals for the kids, but I'm going to do my best to plan to it.
dd564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #58

Two years until 2022! Closer to party time! Even I make it to later in 2022 as planned I like the idea of being in THE year of the end. Counting down....
Old 01-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Two years until 2022! Closer to party time! Even I make it to later in 2022 as planned I like the idea of being in THE year of the end. Counting down....
Yes, 2 years! 24 to 35 months max! LoL I'm not looking at # of days as it seem longer, but it's all the same.

I'm still struggling with the right AA with rentals. Also, not feeling good with healthcare options and cost even tho that's part of the freedom. Even considered part time work with benefits, but the hourly rate isn't worth putting up with a schedule.

Are you staying in CA or considering a relocation once you ER? I'm playing with the idea of Austin, Texas, to be closer to family.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Yes, 2 years! 24 to 35 months max! LoL I'm not looking at # of days as it seem longer, but it's all the same.

I'm still struggling with the right AA with rentals. Also, not feeling good with healthcare options and cost even tho that's part of the freedom. Even considered part time work with benefits, but the hourly rate isn't worth putting up with a schedule.

Are you staying in CA or considering a relocation once you ER? I'm playing with the idea of Austin, Texas, to be closer to family.
I am in the same boat. Actually pretty happy with our rentals for now but already seeing that I will tire of them even though I just manage the managers.

As for health care 100% in the same boat. Sure I like making an income but the thought of coming out of pocket for health care is irksome. However, am hoping to fully retire. We shall see.

I would like to leave California. I am not unhappy here. I just want to live somewhere new, meet some new people, experience some new things, and travel a lot from a state with no tax. I would say Vegas or Nashville are at the top of the list right now. However, have some friends in the Hill Country, Dallas and Houston so Texas is a possibility too. Long shot would be Orlando. It's fun looking!