Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two years is still seems like forever to me.
It'll probably get a little more exciting for me next January since I've planned trips/events a year and half out and time flies getting ready for departure date.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #62
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am with you guys 2yrs seems a long time away, but we have a couple of milestones (daughter marriage, son graduate college, move to retirement house in FL) in between to make the time go faster.
eba1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

It's now official (sort of) - I will be Class of 2022

Specifically, Feb-Mar 2022. Our bonuses are paid in December, and we get a payment into our retirement plans at the end of January. I will give notice after that for a month or two to wind things down/transition.

I am still sort of stunned that all these years of planning are now coming to fruition.

I feel like 2 years is so close, but yet so far away.

My numbers currently are ~$1.5 M, not including the house ($450K mortgage left, fixed at 3.5%, worth about $650K). My partner currently has ~$1 M, so $2.5 M combined. My share of non-mortgage expenses, including allowance for health care and travel, is about $45K/yr. Mortgage adds another $25K/yr so $70K total. It doesn't seem like those numbers should work, but they do.

Firecalc shows 99% success with retiring in 2022, Fidelity score is 104, and Vanguard has me at 90% success out to age 100.

So - that is my new target date, and it will be just before my 50th birthday!
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
It's now official (sort of) - I will be Class of 2022
Congrats!
Kind of jealous because my date in 2022 is going to be just after my 50th in 2021 and it'd be kind of cool to say I retired before 50 like you'll be able to. Oh well, just timing of things.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:43 PM   #65

Anyone else taking a positive out of the current situation in that we likely don't have to enter retirement in 2022 looking over our shoulders asking when the eventual bear market was going to hit after a record bull? Hopefully 2021 will work into a big recovery year and we'll be exiting the bear market with a strong start of another long bull run at the start of our retirements?
Old 04-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
Anyone else taking a positive out of the current situation in that we likely don't have to enter retirement in 2022 looking over our shoulders asking when the eventual bear market was going to hit after a record bull? Hopefully 2021 will work into a big recovery year and we'll be exiting the bear market with a strong start of another long bull run at the start of our retirements?
Yes actually. I like your thinking. The reality is things can't go straight up forever. A bad year now and then hopefully improvement in 2021-->>.

Also, for me, I am having an extremely down year at work. The Coronavirus being one of the causes but not the only. It allows me to test living on savings a couple years ahead of time. Tightening the belt a little bit and all that.

Hopefully things stay on track for '22!
Old 04-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

October 2022 is the earliest I can leave my job without penalty. At that time I'll be getting 85% of my salary. With some other retirement incentives, I'll be at about 90% from the employer. I'm counting down the days. I know the golden handcuffs will be tough to resist at that point as rather than leaving I could go into DROP.

The guys who have done the full 5 years of DROP have left with close to $500,000 in their DROP accounts. That money is nice, but I don't want to put in the extra time. I try to rationalize "How long do I want to work for money I won't need?" I say that because I don't know of any of the retirees who have really needed that money.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Yes, despite the havoc in my accounts I feel this way too. A bear market was coming and I rather weather through it while employed than in the first year of ER. I also hope 2021 will be a strong year and my plans don't need to change.
fassmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #69
Dryer sheet wannabe

My wife and I will be retiring in 2022 so sign us up!! I have a countdown, 2 years, 4 months, 1 week, 0 days, so Sept 2022. Iím thinking the lockdown may get us underneath the 2 year mark, I am trying to maintain patience.....

IMG_5796.JPG
BGH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

My wife and I are in, sept 2022 is our date, and the countdown is on! Looking forward to sharing more details as we move forward.
BGH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Anyone else taking a positive out of the current situation in that we likely don't have to enter retirement in 2022 looking over our shoulders asking when the eventual bear market was going to hit after a record bull?
We aren't planning to retire till Oct 2023, but yes, I'm kind of relieved this downturn is occurring now before we retire. Hopefully things will recover by the time we actually pull the plug on our work lives.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I am dropping out of Class of 2020 and enrolling here. Various financial carrots from working past the megacorp official early retirement criteria started looking just too attractive to pass during these uncertain times. Official retirement day 7/1/2022. Less than two years now. Some ways seems so close yet so far...
SilentWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
I am dropping out of Class of 2020 and enrolling here. Various financial carrots from working past the megacorp official early retirement criteria started looking just too attractive to pass during these uncertain times. Official retirement day 7/1/2022. Less than two years now. Some ways seems so close yet so far...
Welcome! I am still planning on 2022 but definitely considering '23 or '24. It depends on how my remote job goes.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m hoping for July 2022. It was going to be November 2020 but the pandemic struck and my company let me go in April. With the markets being unsteady and me feeling like I hadn’t fully planned out post-retirement life, I didn’t feel totally comfortable with the idea of retiring early right now. I also just turned 50 this year, and would need ACA or to live in a state that guarantees those with pre-existing conditions the ability to purchase health insurance. Given all the uncertainty with the economy, health care, and the pandemic, I accepted a new job that required me to relocate. I need to stay 2 years or else I have to pay back the relocation (or pay back half if I leave after 12 months). So I’m aiming for 2022.

It’s early days, but I think I made the right decision to keep working for a couple more years. It feels good to have money come into my bank account instead of always seeing it leave my bank account! I’m not making as much as I was, but I’m still doing well, and the health insurance benefits are excellent. I have liked the job and the boss so far. And I’ve really enjoyed the stress-free living that comes with an apartment! It has been a nice change. I’m actually enjoying the new city more than I expected to; there are lots of walking trails and I’ve found some outdoor tennis opportunities. Unfortunately, I have also found some good takeout restaurants. But I’m doing my best to eat healthy and exercise so I keep off the hundred+ lbs I’ve lost.

I plan to honor my relocation agreement and then head to my final retirement state after I resign in July 2022. In the mean time, I can watch what happens with the ever-changing political and economic landscape, and by 2022 we should know what happens with the ACA and any state impacts should it be struck down. That information will be useful when it’s time to find my early retirement state.
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #75

My BIL was looking to retire this year too but he's now hoping to push it out to 2021 or 2022 unless they cut him loose earlier. His financial are good. It's more around the uncertainty of really being able to enjoy retirement during all the effects of the pandemic.

I'm still targeting 2022 unless my megacorp offers me some ridiculous incentives to stay a year or two longer (unlikely!) or some key characteristics of my portfolio goes to heck; mainly the dividends being produced from my taxable account. The dividend half of my portfolio is still looking solid without any major suspension or cuts so my finger are crossed. But it'd be nice to see strength in the world economies as we put the pandemic behind us and feel some confidence from the ETF index side of my portfolio when we head into late 2021 and into 2022.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW.. time is just flying still. I last posted here in April. In that time we have seen Covid and downturns. I put some of those that work directly for me on Furlough, brought one back and ended up having to let a 30 year employee go without a job transition plan.

So here I am doing my job and doing her job and training a new person that I had hired before the furlough, and and and.... it was a nice break from work stress but its all back again.

The good thing is that 2022 is not so far away anymore but even better, my DW has always been very tentative on 2022. When I would mention it, she would roll her eyes and give me the "you keep saying it but" look. I finally got her to sit with me and go over all our finances and she has now gotten on board. That makes it even more exciting. A few good turns and we might FIRE a little early. We will see.

All that being said. NW is climbing past the 1.4M mark. I've done the numbers and if we went today, we would be just fine. But sticking with the plan unless the wife gives me the "why not now" conversation. LOL
Old 09-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #77

I'm doing too much "clock watching" so the countdown is going by extremely slowly for me. That said, I'm just over a year and a half away and in the grand scheme of things, that's really close. I've planned a number of trips and events a year and a half out and they just seem to magically arrive.

The missus originally didn't think it was practical for me to retire in 2022, mainly around what I'd with my spare time, but I think she's resigned to it now. I'm trying to convince her to call it quits earlier too but she wants to keep working, partially due to the benefits and building up her pension more. But I'm curious if her attitude changes if she sees that I'm enjoying my time in retirement.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

My benchmark is 10/1/2022. The days/weeks/months are crawling by. The 25 months to go seems so far away despite the past 23 years seeming to have gone by in the blink of an eye as I look back.

To add to the perception that time is dragging, my available non-work time has increased greatly. I'm looking, without success, for a hobby, side job or interest that appeals to me to help pass the time. I am spending way too much time on the web/smart phone just because I am bored. I can't convince myself to take up fishing. I think I would become frustrated trying to learn to play a musical instrument. I have no one to regularly practice a foreign language with if I were to try to learn one. With no other ideas I just have been reading voraciously to the point of being tired of picking up a book. I check the news sites a dozen times a day just looking for new headline, all while I wait to mark off another day on the calendar.

This does have me thinking that I better find more ideas of things to do in retirement.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:22 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I think 2022 will be the year for me. I was originally targeting 2023 but just donít think I want to work that long.

Ironically, just in January I was considering work options and couldnít even imagine really wanting to retire and that has really changed. I work in education and dislike distance learning (but am kind of nervous to return). I find I am working way more hours....my job (itís a specialized job within special education) is extremely difficult to do through DL and takes me 3 times as long!

But, the numbers I run tell me my pension increase by something like 15K by working until 2022 (a combination of being 60 and having 30 years in). I just canít leave that on the table.

Dh retired in 2019, so I look forward to joining him.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:03 AM   #80
Confused about dryer sheets

I'd like to officially join the class of 2022! 4/20/22 to be precise. That date will be my first opportunity to collect a small, second pension which will cover all of our income/personal property taxes.

DW retired in 2019 at 53 and is loving every day. She and I both have pensions which total $65K/yr and have been living exclusively on that amount for the past 16 months with ease. Our house has a $90K remaining mortgage at 3.75% and our savings total around $700K (building back from divorce) balanced 30/10/60, and buying the dips. My salary goes exclusively into savings until I leave w*rk. We have no debt other than the mortgage.

We love to camp and upgraded from a tent to an RV a few years ago, but never seemed to have enough time to camp with work obligations. After Covid hit and our favorite campground shut down, we found an open campground on a large body of water close to home and purchased a seasonal site where we spend every weekend. Camping every weekend has cemented that I no longer want to be in the office dealing with deadlines.

We are trying the weekend camping experience to see if our plan to full-time will suit our lifestyle. So far so good and we love it! We would like to rent our house for 2-3 years while full-timing, which will pay off the mortgage plus provide income for remodeling when we return. We live in a military area and have leased our previous home in the past.

I met a Work Camper at the campground who shared his wonderful story. He's 84 and his DW is 81. They have been work camping for 20 years after he retired from banking. He doesn't look anywhere near his 80s and attributes his longevity to an active lifestyle. They have seen every corner of this country and return home to Florida each winter to see family.They are an inspiration to us that we don't have sit in an office for the rest of our lives.

Like YVRRocketSurgery, I am doing way too much "clock watching." 1 year, 7 months, 10 days to go.
Going camping is offline   Reply With Quote