Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2021, 12:26 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just had a casual chat with my manager recently and he let me in on that some staff (not our team) will be forced out over the next couple of weeks and that voluntary offers will likely follow in the months beyond that. Ugh, that might force my hand to move the timing to let my manager in on my departure/retirement plans up by a few months to see if I can snag one of those voluntary depature packages (and move me into the class of 2021 ). I was originally planning to hint at it in October. Want to try to find out how good the packages are without letting the cat out of the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP2022 View Post
I think it's better to get busy living and enjoy the rest of the ride!
I'm with you on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Present Aside View Post
but I like the thought of April Fool's day.
LOL! I like that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
I'm planning on my last actual work day as 12/23/21 when my company heads into the Christmas break. I'll then run my banked vacation time thru mid-March to qualify for our 2021 Performance-based bonus. 8 months to go!
And I thought I had a lot of backloaded vacation time. I'm jealous! Great timing w/ your performance bonus.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Class of 2022
Old 05-09-2021, 04:18 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2022

Hello all, Iím a late entrant to the class of 22.

Originally I had planned to retire April 21, however after a written quotation from my pension administrator, my DB pension was increasing by 10%. Add in the pandemic and restrictions that was meaning and I was more than comfortable to add an extra year. 6 May looks like the date.

133 days to go

I note that many, if not most posters, are intending to retire in their early 50ís. Is that a common experience in the US, or just on the savvy posters on this forum ?

Another observation is that quite a few will leave the state they currently reside/ work in when they finally retire. Again, is that common ? Brexit has closed down that option for many new retirees from UK, who had thoughts of moving to warmer climes in Portugal, Spain or Canary Islands.
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

For the population on this forum, being Early Retirement, yes, 50’s is common. Not so much for the general US population.
Moving out of state is common, usually for tax (varies widely by state) or climate reasons.
I don’t blame you for staying a year for a pension bump, I’m doing the same exact thing. But you only have 133 days left for the year until May 6 2022? Is that work days and you’re part time?
SecretlyFI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, yes work days and going part time, becoming a TWaT in July. This 133 days will be less as I have not included 21/22 annual leave.
Class of 2022 dilemma
Old 05-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2022 dilemma

I have had a June 29, 2021 early retirement date in mind for nearly a year now; itís the date my relocation agreement with my company expires. In fact, Iím counting down the weeks (45 down, 59 to go...). But now Iím starting to wonder whether to suck it up for one more year

Iím concerned that the housing market will still be crazy in 2022 and that it may be best to wait for things to calm down before firmly planting roots somewhere. Also, my heart tells me west coast but my head tells me to at least explore less expensive, more tax-friendly options.

My company has an office in Tampa. I would have to get my managerís permission, but one option is to relocate to the Tampa office after my lease expires in my current location in June 2022. I could see whether I can stand Florida summers and storms, and see for myself whether the tennis in Florida is all that and a bag of chips. Iíd basically be paid to explore Florida. Plus, rent is cheaper than where I live now, and Iíd have the benefit of no state income tax. Another year also gives me an extra year of bonus payment and a chance to keep a little more of the companyís 401k contribution (although that amount isnít a huge deal). Weekends and vacations could be spent on the beaches and exploring the parts of Florida to see which areas I like or donít like. And if I hate it there, at least I know. Iíll move to the west coast and never wonder whether I made a mistake by not considering Florida.

The hard part will be finding the motivation to work for another year when it has been a struggle to stay fully motivated just to get through 10 months here. Iím trying to adjust the attitude but knowing that Iím potentially looking at two more years instead of one is tough. I guess it wouldnít have to be a full two years; i could leave after bonus payout at the end of the first quarter of 2023. So 21 months

I could just leave in June 2021 and rent in Tampa for a year, but I really like the idea of having it be ďpaidĒ by receiving income while Iím there, especially because Iíd be likely to spend more on travel and vacations around the state. And on those delicious Publix chicken tender sandwiches...good grief...maybe I should avoid Florida...Publix chicken tender sandwiches will make me regain the 120 lbs I have lost...
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
Just had a casual chat with my manager recently and he let me in on that some staff (not our team) will be forced out over the next couple of weeks and that voluntary offers will likely follow in the months beyond that. Ugh, that might force my hand to move the timing to let my manager in on my departure/retirement plans up by a few months to see if I can snag one of those voluntary depature packages (and move me into the class of 2021 ). I was originally planning to hint at it in October. Want to try to find out how good the packages are without letting the cat out of the bag.
You might find the packages are a bit more targeted to functions or performance. They might not want to go. The last time my company offered one, they had so many undesirable departures they pledged not to offer any more.

Regarding some other posts, I mentioned to a (non work) friend that I had 17 months or so left. She had a shocked look on her face, as she was not expecting people to retire early. For many people it is a foreign concept.

On the other hand, I have a spreadsheet that tracks my vacation as I am near an accrual limit and don't want to lose days (it has been easy to not use vacation during the confinements). I had the joy of extending it exactly to my departure date.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

So now all of a sudden 2 members of our team will be out on maternity leave in the August/September timeframe. One will be out the rest of the year at least.

My plan A was to tell my boss in late November but I was also considering moving the timing up and telling her in September because I may want my end date to be January or February instead of March. Now it seems like I'll stick with my original timeline, or close to it. My boss will probably be pretty stressed through September at least and I can wait a bit longer to break (what she'll perceive) as bad news.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

106 12 hr shifts to go.....
Not that I'm counting or anything
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #149
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
106 12 hr shifts to go.....
Not that I'm counting or anything
No harm in counting.
Present Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we are "not" counting: I just hit the one year to my last w@rking day milestone. Official RE day still July 1. Effectively 215 w@rk days left given the fact I try to use up all the accumulated PTO.
SilentWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #151
Dryer sheet aficionado

Havent really committed yet but anytime after march of 2022 is good for me as the bulk of my ISO/RSU will be vested. I will still leave a bunch on the table and walk from a mid 6 figure w2. Thankfully my money bucket is filling up before the BS bucket, but I am really just coasting along right now. We shall see
SeanPizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

98 working days until vocational freedom
Old 06-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #153
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim59 View Post
98 working days until vocational freedom
166 work days left here!
Escapevelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapevelocity View Post
166 work days left here!
160 for me unless I get a package. This is so painful.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Folks,
On the Class of 2021 thread, there is a list, in chronological order, of all the folks retiring in 2021. It would be great to see such a list of all 2022 retirees.

Anyone up for creating a list ? I propose the OP
Old 06-15-2021, 01:34 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPizzle View Post
Havent really committed yet but anytime after march of 2022 is good for me as the bulk of my ISO/RSU will be vested. I will still leave a bunch on the table and walk from a mid 6 figure w2. Thankfully my money bucket is filling up before the BS bucket, but I am really just coasting along right now. We shall see
I hear you on that, but my vest dates are in November. The OMY is really easy with an annual lump and two W2s that produce lots of excess pad each year. Rather than coasting, they are waving promos and the like to push me forward.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompanobeach View Post
Dear YVRRocket. I can only dream of getting a departure package! I work for government and they are only giving sticks and not the carrot! However, I am still blessed to be getting a pension and to retire at 55. I have the same target. April 2022. God willing, I will be able to sell Connecticut home and go live in my vacation Condo in Pompano Beach Florida. Due to fiscal problems, my pension has been reduced by 30% if I go at 55 but I will still get a guaranteed 2% COLA for the rest of my life. If I wait until 60, I get a bigger pension but no COLA. I think I am making the right decision by going at 55. This gains me 5 more years of freedom!
Not sure about the guaranteed 2%; however, you will get COLA. WRT the getting COLA at 60? You should get for for sure at 62 if you waited for a larger pension. Also, if you have over 20 years at 55 you should get the supplemental SS until age 62.
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompanobeach View Post
Dear YVRRocket. I can only dream of getting a departure package! I work for government and they are only giving sticks and not the carrot! However, I am still blessed to be getting a pension and to retire at 55. I have the same target. April 2022. God willing, I will be able to sell Connecticut home and go live in my vacation Condo in Pompano Beach Florida. Due to fiscal problems, my pension has been reduced by 30% if I go at 55 but I will still get a guaranteed 2% COLA for the rest of my life. If I wait until 60, I get a bigger pension but no COLA. I think I am making the right decision by going at 55. This gains me 5 more years of freedom!
Not sure about the guaranteed 2%; however, you will get COLA. WRT the getting COLA at 60? You should get for for sure at 62 if you waited for a larger pension. Also, if you have over 20 years at 55 you should get the supplemental SS until age 62.
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

:gulp: just updated my spreadsheet for NW. Honestly, I dont know why I am still working.
SeanPizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #160
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPizzle View Post
:gulp: just updated my spreadsheet for NW. Honestly, I dont know why I am still working.
I know the feeling. I recently realized that I am living the OMY syndrome and this is the one year. Still committed to 2022 anyhow.
Present Aside is offline   Reply With Quote