Class of 2027

Hi everyone! I just wanted to check in with those of you that might also be considering retirement around the year 2027. My phone countdown app is now saying just over 4 years (actually 4 years and 28 days) which means this time next month that counter wil actually be under 4 years.

I’m still trying to recover losses from the last 18 months but I feel I’m still on track for a target date around 2027 for retirement. Things could definitely push that date out a little but I’d like to start creating a more concrete plan that targets this time of year in 2027 for retirement. I just turned 49 last month so that would mean a retirement at the age of 53 if I can make 2027 work.

My main goal has been to build my retirement accounts. I’m also taking advantage of the Roth 401k I now have access to at work to divert more of my 401k savings into verses putting it all into the traditional 401k side of the account.

I’m concerned about the growth prospects of my retirement accounts in the next two years. We’ll see how it all works out but I plan to just keep saving and hope for the best. At this point in my journey the markets will drive my account more than my savings rate.

I can’t yet say with 100% certainty that I will be retiring in 4 years but the likelihood is very good. If things get pushed out a year or two that’s OK. It still means I don’t have a terribly long wait until I reach the finish line which is exciting and a little terrifying at the same time. I hope everyone else is still on track to meet whatever goals you’ve set. Good luck everyone!
At that retirement age, make sure you have enough in taxable accounts to bridge to having penalty free access to your other funds.

I am looking at or around this timeframe as well. Of all the different modeling programs/apps/etc, which one are you all using, like better, and think shows the 'best/worst' scenarios to pull the trigger?

At that retirement age, make sure you have enough in taxable accounts to bridge to having penalty free access to your other funds.

Yes, thank you for the reminder. This is one of the big considerations I will review as we develop our retirement plan. I think we’re covered but I want to run some numbers to make sure we’re good to go until the retirement funds become available.

I can’t yet say with 100% certainty that I will be retiring in 4 years but the likelihood is very good. If things get pushed out a year or two that’s OK. It still means I don’t have a terribly long wait until I reach the finish line which is exciting and a little terrifying at the same time. I hope everyone else is still on track to meet whatever goals you’ve set. Good luck everyone!

As of right now, I'm on schedule to retire at the very end of 2027. A lot can happen from now until then, but I'm chugging along.

Like you mentioned above, I need to get my taxable account back in shape. I used those assets to help fund the brewery I invested in. So far, the Brewery is still doing well and growing. However, I would like to have a few years of living expenses in my taxable account set aside before I retire. If the brewery can start paying me dividends by the time I want to retire, then that is just frosting on the cake.

I was a originally a member of the Class of 2022, but Megacorp golden handcuffs has me now planning on 2027. Like Rxman, I am planning on 4/30/2027 so a little under 4 years to go. Cash flowing college for two daughters, so it is easy to spend extra cash these days..

Back
Top Bottom