CNBC segment on ER and dementia

I think the true message shouldn't be not to retire, but to seek out mental stimulation and brain exercise once you do retire. And, if someone can't do that and has no ideas except working to do it, then maybe that person really shouldn't retire.

I agree with that.

The study authors say that people ought to be able to work as long as they want (assuming they can still do the job). That's a comment on the voluntary vs. involuntary distinction, I think. The study I looked at was done in France, btw, where a lot of civil servants are mandated to retire at 65. That's not a good policy, from a public health perspective. If people want to work, let them work. Force them to retire and you give them the sense they are being put out to pasture, their useful years are done, they are no longer needed... From there it's a short step to being a sad lump watching TV.

Last edited:
At a past megacorp, I saw a man in his 80s still coming to work with a walker. In the afternoon, people walking by his cubicle shook their head when they saw him nodding off in front of his CRT. Good grief! Can't blame him for taking naps because, well, I am a lot younger, and occasionally take naps now, but then I am at home on early retirement, and I can do as I damn well please.

I did not know what his job was, but wondered if his financial condition really required him to work. And slow as he was, I wondered about his quality of work. I guessed it had to be satisfactory for megacorp to keep him, but golly, when a guy's in his 80s, should he not be somewhere else better than a cube?

....... I guessed it had to be satisfactory for megacorp to keep him, but golly, when a guy's in his 80s, should he not be somewhere else better than a cube?

Yeah, like a box or an urn!

But I'd prefer to be on a Viking ship....

"Lars, do you smell something burning?...... ENGINE FIRE! Abandon ship! Swim for shore!!!"

"But what about Telly, he can't swim?!"

"Aw, leave'm, let's go!"

:D

Yeah, like a box or an urn!

Well, as I often say here in this forum, I do not think I will live to the 80s, let alone going to work like that man at that age. That man already beat me, no matter what he and I will do from here.

And one more thing. Problem with walking he might have, but demented he certainly was not, though he looked sleepy at times.

So, fellow geezers, dust off your CV, and start sending some feelers out for some more w*rk. Your brain and perhaps even your body will thank you for it.

Last edited:
Correlation does not imply causation.

If we hypothesize that retiring early CAUSES dementia, then we could test that by negation. That is, no working person should have dementia.

This turns out not to be the case.

I suspect that what we are seeing in this report is just the usual 'use it or lose it' phenomena. If someone moves from being mentally active to full-blown couch potato, pretty soon they'll have all the mental acuity of a dollop of sour cream with chives.

If we hypothesize that retiring early CAUSES dementia, then we could test that by negation. That is, no working person should have dementia.
It is true that I have seen demented people at work.

And some even got promoted to management.

Last edited:
It is true that I have seen demented people at work.

And some even got promoted to management.
I knew a few that got promoted because they were demented.

There was a study in some country that showed that working later reduces your risk of developing dementia. Basically implying that those who ER have no mental stimulation.
Should be: "basically implying that those who continue to work necessarily derive mental stimulation from such employment". Which is certainly not universally accurate.

I think the movie Being There explores this concept.
I think what our insightful young friend is saying is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, but we're upset by the seasons of our economy.

Last edited:
my stepmom just retired "for good". She's 87 years old and until a few weeks ago was teaching nursing. She was forced to retire from a high brow academic university at age 67 and didn't feel ready. So she got this part time gig - teaching 2 classes per term. At 87 she still doesn't feel ready... but her BS bucket finally got full.

My dad was already retired when he met her - he tried, unsuccessfully, to talk her into retiring for the years they were together before he died... She argued that her brain would turn to mush if she retired. She enjoyed teaching and felt if she stopped her brain would seize up and stop functioning.

It must be a genetic/familial thing. Her older brother is still a licensed physician who does rounds... he's in his early 90's. He's also stated that if you slow down, your brain stops.

Back
Top Bottom