Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2021, 03:03 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup. Coasted. No regerts. No guilt. But my career was entirely different in earnings (less) & duration (longer) and I hated sales, so YMMV. At 61, took an ERP that I predicted was coming (4 years earlier) and 2 years later (to the day!) like so many others have said, the waters great, come on in.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 04:20 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Impossible to coast being self employed for 40 years. If my wife & I didn't bust our a$$ we didn't have food on the table, money to pay bills, and the ability to save and invest for retirement. That being said the last 5 years when we reached FI we worked our business part time with no evenings or weekend, basically 4 days a week. Many 60-80 hr weeks to reach our goals with no regrets at all.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #43

I don't think even the coasters here are equating coasting with slacking - not to the degree that there is performance degradation, or impact to your teammates who have to pick up after you or work harder to carry your load.

But in today's corporate always-on culture - which many who retired 10 or even 5 years ago might not have experienced - dialing back to a modest 45 hours would be considered coasting.

In my last roles, I was expected to answer the phone at all hours if issues arose. Weekends for installing patches and validating changes. Late nights/early mornings to interface with teams in other timezones around the world. Travel on sundays to arrive for monday meetings, then a red eye back on friday. Logging in late from home to finish the project that got dumped on you at 4pm that was due at 8 the next morning, stuff like that.

Coasting, at the end, meant going back to doing a solid 8-5/6, not juggling more than I could handle, saying No to stuff that would break my back (and my team's), and not being plugged in doing emails all night.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Lost benefits
Old 05-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lost benefits

Are you losing any benefits. I lost healt insurance on my wife, life insurance, dental insurance. Your choice but there is a lot of things that happen before Medicare kicks in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPizzle View Post
I'm 52. Targetting next year sometime. I have made my career in IT sales for last 25 years. It has been pretty stressful, only as good as your last quarter. Quota increases that drive you to a new job every 3 or 4 years on average. I have exceeded quota for 19 years straight.

My question for those who made the goal line: did you coast your last year or two? I am just exhausted. I ran out of f**ks to give about chasing incremental dollars when the government takes 52% (waving at my California friends). I would pull the plug now, but I have some equity compensation vesting between now and next April that is non insignificant. I have seen slacker individual contributors spend a year at my company selling zero and being able to stay for a year before the system forces them out. (My company slow to fire except for egregious behavior). I dont see myself selling zero, but I don't see myself grinding as hard as I have done.

Any coasters here?
richardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
No coasting as a physician. Not possible. Though the last month I found it difficult to care all the time, which frightened me.
Definitely not easy to coast as a Doc. I've stopped doing big multi hour uncomfortable cases, dropped to 4 day work weeks and have reduced my on call load. Still it is not easy to drop much below that.
Flyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #46

I'm not wired that way. I will (attempt) to put out my best work product/ service the clients through my last work hour.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #47
Confused about dryer sheets

coasting

Quote:
I'm 52. Targetting next year sometime. I have made my career in IT sales for last 25 years. It has been pretty stressful, only as good as your last quarter. Quota increases that drive you to a new job every 3 or 4 years on average. I have exceeded quota for 19 years straight.

My question for those who made the goal line: did you coast your last year or two? I am just exhausted. I ran out of f**ks to give about chasing incremental dollars when the government takes 52% (waving at my California friends). I would pull the plug now, but I have some equity compensation vesting between now and next April that is non insignificant. I have seen slacker individual contributors spend a year at my company selling zero and being able to stay for a year before the system forces them out. (My company slow to fire except for egregious behavior). I dont see myself selling zero, but I don't see myself grinding as hard as I have done.

Any coasters here?
Hello fellow Coaster here

I just turned 57 and am also in sales.

I am with you, burned out on striving for ever increasing quotas.

It was fun and attainable in my early years but I have come to realize what a toxic cycle it has become.

It's funny how humans can get used to really stressful environments without being conscience of it.

My plan is to become less competitive as a previous member stated.
Do a good job but let go of having to be the best.

It seems that I've spent my career in the competition mode for so long I have forgotten how to enjoy my work/life.

I plan to re-program my brain once I pull the plug hopefully in 12 months.

Good luck, don't be too hard on yourself sales is a tough career.

Regards

914Mike
mike914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfernand View Post
I am in a similar situation to you. I have a sales position and am certainly NOT putting in 60 hours per week any longer since I have been selling IT since 1984! The biggest issue I have in pulling the plug is:

1. a bit worried about how I would spend my time
2. giving up a large compensation package plus benefits

I am planning to hang on until I either hate my job or I run out of good customers (who I actually enjoy spending time with.) Right now, I feel like I am already semi-retired and still take 3-4 vacation trips per year. I really can't complain and feel pretty lucky. . .
1) That's part of the fun of ER. You have time to figure that out and there are few mistakes you can make. If you don't like it - change it.

2) If you've run the numbers and you have "enough" you get over it pretty quickly. I KNEW there had to be a package waiting for me if I hung on (coasted) for a year or two. Man was I close. It was 18 months after I told my boss I won't do my new assignment (and coast). I'm outta here. So I missed the package and kicked myself for maybe 5 minutes. Then I realized I'd had 18 months of freedom for the price of that package. Oh, and I didn't have to do a j*b I hated for 18 months. Win, win. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coasting the last year for me meant doing 100% instead of the 150-200% I'd been doing for decades.

I never missed a deadline, and the quality of my work never declined in the last year. I just didn't go out of my way to do all of the "extras" I'd done for so long.

The only thing I put extra effort into was producing detailed, lengthy documentation on how to do everything in my job. I knew they would drag their feet replacing me (they did on all positions). I felt good about leaving a "road map" for whomever inherited my tasks, and the gal who temporarily inherited most of them told me she appreciated it. I also spent several hours on Zoom talking her through several processes, which she appreciated.

I can hold my head up and know I earned my pay until the last day, as can the other "coasters" in this thread.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Coasting the last year for me meant doing 100% instead of the 150-200% I'd been doing for decades.

I can hold my head up and know I earned my pay until the last day, as can the other "coasters" in this thread.
Probably a good point. I recall years of 60 hour weeks but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #51

Quote:
I'm 52. Targetting next year sometime. I have made my career in IT sales for last 25 years. It has been pretty stressful, only as good as your last quarter.
I spent 30+ years in IT sales and you're 100% spot on. Regardless of what you achieved previously, you are, indeed, "only as good as your last quarter". And in most cases..stack up too many of those "not good enough" (ie: < quota) quarters and you're unlikely to wind up having a choice as to when you'll be leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
No coasting as a physician. Not possible. Though the last month I found it difficult to care all the time, which frightened me.
No coasting in High Tech Sales, either. Also not possible. You either perform and meet some very specific goals, or you're gone - and they'll find someone else who CAN meet those very specific goals. Sounds like that's not been a problem for OP, but trying to coast while still meeting quota is pretty tough to impossible to do in most cases..and if you somehow manage to meet the (usually totally unrealistic and unachievable) quota, they'll just raise it to an even MORE unrealistic and unachievable level next year, because unlike your peers who didn't make their number - you actually proved that you can deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
I was also in IT sales for my whole career. Towards the end with my last company, one that went out of their way to screw you as much as possible.

The IT sales industry changed forever after the glory years of the 1980s, 1990s, and somewhat into the 2000s.
AMEN to that! The "glory years" of the IT Sales Industry is long gone. A very good friend of mine (64) has been in IT Sales even longer than I was and we talk about this very thing frequently. IT Sales used to be a decent gig. Now, it's a brutal, soul sucking slog of ever increasing and usually unachievable quota increases, territory changes, politics, politics and MORE politics, totally unmanageable stress that CAN kill you, etc. It's absolutely brutal, and a "career" I wouldn't at this point wish on my worst enemy. The only upside - and I do mean the ONLY upside - is the ability to make some pretty decent cash if you can somehow manage to harden yourself to the point of not caring and just push as hard as you can push..probably 80-100 hours a week, every week. And "coast"? BWAHAHAHAH. Right. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! If you can figure out a way to do so, more power to ya. But I suspect that probably won't have the outcome you expect.

PS: I also had some VERY "non-significant" equity comp on the table that was unvested when I left at 55. Worth ~ $300K at the time. Now, it's probably worth > $500K as the stock has been on a tear. Hardest thing I had to do is leave those RSUs unvested, but if I hadn't left, they probably would have carried me out horizontally, feet first because the stress was absolutely epic and completely unmanageable. Did it until I literally couldn't do it any longer and my health and sanity won out over the cash when evaluated objectively.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:48 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I left my high stress, high paying investment sales job at the end of 2018. I've been a low pay, no stress administrative assistant since then and love it. I'll do it for 3 1/2 more years until full FIRE.
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:43 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardf View Post
Are you losing any benefits. I lost healt insurance on my wife, life insurance, dental insurance. Your choice but there is a lot of things that happen before Medicare kicks in.
I already have budgeted for the HI expenses prior to Medicare. Now with the ACA cap of 8.5% max premiums of AGI, this makes it a much less painful pill to swallow.
SeanPizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:57 PM   #54

Quote:
I already have budgeted for the HI expenses prior to Medicare. Now with the ACA cap of 8.5% max premiums of AGI, this makes it a much less painful pill to swallow.
True..and you may already know this, but the cap is actually 8.5% of AGI for the 2nd lowest cost Silver plan. Choose something more expensive than 2LCS and you'll need to budget more than 8.5% AGI. The converse is also true..choose something less expensive, and you could wind up getting even more subsidy than if you had chosen the 2LCS plan.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:00 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
I spent 30+ years in IT sales and you're 100% spot on. Regardless of what you achieved previously, you are, indeed, "only as good as your last quarter". And in most cases..stack up too many of those "not good enough" (ie: < quota) quarters and you're unlikely to wind up having a choice as to when you'll be leaving.

No coasting in High Tech Sales, either. Also not possible. You either perform and meet some very specific goals, or you're gone - and they'll find someone else who CAN meet those very specific goals. Sounds like that's not been a problem for OP, but trying to coast while still meeting quota is pretty tough to impossible to do in most cases..and if you somehow manage to meet the (usually totally unrealistic and unachievable) quota, they'll just raise it to an even MORE unrealistic and unachievable level next year, because unlike your peers who didn't make their number - you actually proved that you can deliver.

AMEN to that! The "glory years" of the IT Sales Industry is long gone. A very good friend of mine (64) has been in IT Sales even longer than I was and we talk about this very thing frequently. IT Sales used to be a decent gig. Now, it's a brutal, soul sucking slog of ever increasing and usually unachievable quota increases, territory changes, politics, politics and MORE politics, totally unmanageable stress that CAN kill you, etc. It's absolutely brutal, and a "career" I wouldn't at this point wish on my worst enemy. The only upside - and I do mean the ONLY upside - is the ability to make some pretty decent cash if you can somehow manage to harden yourself to the point of not caring and just push as hard as you can push..probably 80-100 hours a week, every week. And "coast"? BWAHAHAHAH. Right. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! If you can figure out a way to do so, more power to ya. But I suspect that probably won't have the outcome you expect.

PS: I also had some VERY "non-significant" equity comp on the table that was unvested when I left at 55. Worth ~ $300K at the time. Now, it's probably worth > $500K as the stock has been on a tear. Hardest thing I had to do is leave those RSUs unvested, but if I hadn't left, they probably would have carried me out horizontally, feet first because the stress was absolutely epic and completely unmanageable. Did it until I literally couldn't do it any longer and my health and sanity won out over the cash when evaluated objectively.
Thank you for chiming in. It helps to hear from others who have travelled this path. It is really hard being in my early 50s and just exhausted from the stress and the sheer amount of balls I have in the air. I have 8800 unread emails in my inbox. I only pay attention to those from customers and those directly related to a revenue event. I dare not let anyone know how I am feeling, because there is a (seemingly) neverending supply of 30 year olds ready to step up and take my role. My saving grace is my decades long rolodex of contacts (hey kids, a rolodex is a round file system you can staple business cards to)

Put that coffee down. Coffee is for closers.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:03 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
True..and you may already know this, but the cap is actually 8.5% of AGI for the 2nd lowest cost Silver plan. Choose something more expensive than 2LCS and you'll need to budget more than 8.5% AGI. The converse is also true..choose something less expensive, and you could wind up getting even more subsidy than if you had chosen the 2LCS plan.
Thanks for that. I need to better understand that part. I basically have budgeted 2K a month for premiums and worst case max 11K per year OOP. If I can come in under that, I'm golden.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:43 PM   #57

I owned a small business in a small town ( pop. 1000). Everyone knew what you were doing all the time. No rest at home, customers would find you after hours and weekends.

Coasting wasn't an option. I worked an average 52 hours per week. If I wanted to slow down to a 40hour week the client base in my good old home town would say "Stormy's slowing down, he doesn't care anymore". I saw it happen to many peers and knew it would happen to me to.

I ran hard to the finish line, put in a full week and caught he!! from a long time client my last hour of work. Turned the key on the door and moved 350 miles away the next day.

I ran hard til the end. No other choice for being self employed and wanting to sell a business that is increasing in revenue.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess the term Coasting is more applicable to those in MegaCorp, or indeed any size of Corp rather than Self Employed/ Business owners. I have decided to retire next year and feel as time gets nearer my motivation will drop and I will slip into a coasting mode. I’ve put in more than my shift for 40+ years, so will not let it concern me.
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Thank you for chiming in. It helps to hear from others who have travelled this path. It is really hard being in my early 50s and just exhausted from the stress and the sheer amount of balls I have in the air. I have 8800 unread emails in my inbox. I only pay attention to those from customers and those directly related to a revenue event. I dare not let anyone know how I am feeling, because there is a (seemingly) neverending supply of 30 year olds ready to step up and take my role. My saving grace is my decades long rolodex of contacts (hey kids, a rolodex is a round file system you can staple business cards to)

Put that coffee down. Coffee is for closers.
It's pretty tough being in high tech sales in your 50s. Or worse, 60s. Because while a 50 or 60+ year old rep or SE brings a lot to the table in terms of experience and contacts, the 30 year-olds are willing to work basically round the clock doing whatever it takes to make their own name for themselves. And let's face it..few of us in our 50s or 60s want to work 80-100 hours a week, week in and week out. Gets VERY old very quickly, and that's a big part of why I left at 55. Those 80+ hour weeks (plus unbelievable, epic stress on top of that) was going to kill me before I hit 60 if I had stayed.

My very good buddy is 64 and still working as an Account Exec. He's a rock star, but there are as you mentioned no end of 30 year olds willing to go to kickoffs, QBRs, entertain customers and stay out till all hour of the morning 7 days a week doing that. He's told me several times that he'd prefer not to have to deal with that and is perfectly happy going back after a long day and closing down by 9 or 10. 30 year olds are just getting STARTED at 9 or 10 unfortunately..I got to the point I didn't want to even try to keep up with the 24x7 "always on" that seems to be the norm now. Small part of why I ultimately bailed (the insane politics and totally unreasonable/unachievable goals, coupled with constant territory changes was a bigger part)..but it's still worth noting that it's no fun watching all those 20 and 30 year olds in your rearview mirror..of course, few of them are that good and most in my experience fail..but the constant supply of people willing to take your job - often for a lot less comp - does indeed make things even more stressful.

Quote:
Thanks for that. I need to better understand that part. I basically have budgeted 2K a month for premiums and worst case max 11K per year OOP. If I can come in under that, I'm golden.
My premiums last year were just south of $14K for 2, with $7K PP deductibles. We'll probably exceed $11K this year for OOP. So sounds like you should be good to go, although it is definitely a real mindset shift from having really good healthcare to going onto the "A"CA where you basically pay for EVERYTHING out of pocket - because the deductibles are absolutely insane unless you have one of the basically totally unaffordable plans..but the way I looked at it..I can pay "less" (OK, $14K / yr for 2) and MAYBE have to pay a bunch in deductibles - that's still less, total, than if I chose a higher cost plan with a lower deductible. That would have definitely involved a higher "total" yearly cost even if we didn't need a lot of h/c services..so I went with the "lower" (ha) cost premiums and basically will wind up paying everything out of pocket unless one of us gets hit by a train or comes down with a horrible disease..because we'll likely NEVER hit our annual deductibles..good times! Bottom line - I REALLY miss my corporate healthcare. It was tough walking away from all the unvested RSUs, but I can live with that. ER healthcare on the other hand does totally SUCK compared to what many of us were used to having pre-ER, however. And for those of us who have to be on it for 10+ years pre-Medicare..yikes.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:29 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
I owned a small business in a small town ( pop. 1000). Everyone knew what you were doing all the time. No rest at home, customers would find you after hours and weekends.

Coasting wasn't an option. I worked an average 52 hours per week. If I wanted to slow down to a 40hour week the client base in my good old home town would say "Stormy's slowing down, he doesn't care anymore". I saw it happen to many peers and knew it would happen to me to.

I ran hard to the finish line, put in a full week and caught he!! from a long time client my last hour of work. Turned the key on the door and moved 350 miles away the next day.

I ran hard til the end. No other choice for being self employed and wanting to sell a business that is increasing in revenue.
Brings back memories. My dad's business (later carried on by DW as mgr.) was retail. People thought nothing of stopping at our house and knocking on the door to ask dad or mom to help them at the business. They always did. For years, mom and dad worked 60 or 70 hours a week. It took 10 years to grow the business to more-or-less self sustaining (IOW looked like it would survive) THAT's when they started to PAY me $.25/hour for the work I'd been doing for free. I was 9 years old - and that was good money for a kid in my neighborhood.

Oddly enough, DW and I went through a similar period with the business - I won't go into the details, but the business nearly failed but DW and I saved it through sheer determination - all this while I was w*rking for Megacorp. It was the most intense year of my life and I was about 30. There was no coasting then - I was lucky to get 5 hours of sleep. There were days I couldn't recall driving home.

I actually look back on that time with many fond memories - not that I'd ever want to face it again. YMMV