Join Early Retirement Today

Colorblindness
Old 05-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Colorblindness

DH is extremely colorblind. He can’t see the colors red or green. Everything looks either gray or brown.

Today is his 60th birthday. For his birthday we ordered him a pair of Enchroma sunglasses that are engineered to correct this type of colorblindness. They have only been on the market for a short period of time so it’s a very new technology.

He put them on for the first time this morning while we were outside on a beautiful sunny day. For the first time ever he was able to see the red flowers, the green grass, and the real color of our house. I was a little nervous that they might not work but they apparently provide exactly the correction needed for him to see the colors he’s been missing out on his entire life.

We are going for a ride now so that he can see what the world looks like in color. It’s been a really overwhelming day for both of us to experience this after so many years of him living in a colorless world.

For anyone out there who is also colorblind, there are worth checking out. They offer a full refund if they don’t work.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Check this out. Must be dusty in here.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So cool!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #4

It's amazing what we take for granted.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Since this affects about 8% of males and 1% of women, there is quite a market for this.

I really like the video , where the person has to ask what color something is, as now it looks totally different from before. I'm guessing with mild color blindness, there is a change in intensity of color instead of a new color to see.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

How do these work for a person who relies on prescription lenses?
My teenage son has been colorblind all his life but depends on his prescription glasses. A quick Google search did not reveal any options such as clip on lenses, other than knockoffs with poor reviews.

I checked Zenni optical to see if there was a coating that could be applied to prescription lenses, but I came up empty there, too.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

But if they were color blind all their life, had would they know what shade of gray is blue?

very cool !
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Anybody know if these are covered by Health insurance or Medicare ?
Or at least deductible as medical expense via taxes ?
Old 05-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Anybody know if these are covered by Health insurance or Medicare ?
Or at least deductible as medical expense via taxes ?
I was so moved by the reactions that I may be able to help. Sure beats "Blow that dough" or international travel. I've watched it 3 times and still cannot keep from choking up.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #10

We ordered prescription sunglasses for DH. You can order them as generic or prescription from Enchroma.

I took him to the area he likes to walk around by the bay. As we were walking down the street he noticed some flowers that were really bright red, and he pointed at them and said “Look! That is red! OMG I’ve never seen that before”. It was really an amazing thing to watch.

He is seeing all of these colors for the first time, but he still has to learn how to associate the colors he is seeing with the names of the colors. So every time he sees something that is red I have to remind him that he’s looking at the color red now. He is learning all of this for the first time after 60 years of seeing the world in a very different way. It really was amazing to watch it happening.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
I was so moved by the reactions that I may be able to help. Sure beats "Blow that dough" or international travel. I've watched it 3 times and still cannot keep from choking up.
It is quite moving to see peoples reactions.

I was bring up the idea, for all the readers of this thread as someone may have experience in making them more affordable.

The thought was, if people can get financial help even if just as a medical expense for hearing aids then these should count as well. Or just use HSA money to buy them.

Personally, I can afford them, but would really like to test them before getting into the mental hassle of buy and return if I don't like them, further complicated by would want a prescription pair (which seems to me less returnable).
Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

You have to take a colorblindness test on their website to determine which pair of glasses will work for you. It’s possible that an optometrist might stock every pair of glasses they make but it’s unlikely.

I was reluctant to buy them online as well because I wasn’t sure they would work. But even if you order prescription glasses they will take them back no questions asked if you are not happy with them.

I would imagine if your vision insurance covers prescription glasses you could submit the receipt for these just as you would do any other pair of prescription glasses.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
But if they were color blind all their life, had would they know what shade of gray is blue?

very cool !
Guessing something like reading lips.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
You have to take a colorblindness test on their website to determine which pair of glasses will work for you.
For those interested the colorblindness test is here: https://enchroma.com/pages/test

The test consists of reading single-digit numbers made up of dots on a background of gray dots. If you've taken colorblindness tests before it's either identical or very similar.

It doesn't say whether a color calibrated display is necessary (mine is calibrated because of my photography interests) but I checked it out anyway. I had to pass colorblindness tests for my job and for my pilot's license but both of those were +35 years ago.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:50 AM   #15

But the test won't tell you if you think a certain shade of color is blue when other people think it is green! That's a common disagreement between my DW and I.
Both of us passed the colorblind test so we can "see" the colors but differ in what we think the colors are.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
But the test won't tell you if you think a certain shade of color is blue when other people think it is green! That's a common disagreement between my DW and I.
That has also been a running joke between DW and me. We both have perfectly normal color vision according to the tests, but very different perceptions of certain colors.

Example: Her favorite color is pink, and I once bought her an iPhone case that I thought was a nice shade of pink. She looked at me like I had three heads and asked why I would get such a hideous shade of bright orange.

Long ago I had a friend who had typical red/green color blindness, yet he coped superbly. He had an electrical engineering degree from RPI and was able to do all sorts of electronic work despite the need to identify things like resistors by the color coded rings around them.
Example: He had trained himself to recognize a certain shade as what others called "red", regardless of what it looked like to him.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...d-78394-2.html

08-17-2015 Post #23

Quote:
Back maybe 52+ years ago I moved to Melbourne, Australia, from South Australia - the police in Melbourne at that time administered the driving tests - I 'failed' the color tests, and even though on the road test, I could correctly identify the status of each traffic light, and my driving was (virtually) faultless, I was failed by officers (who I suspected didn't want any 'blowback' should I be involved in a subsequent accident).

A more sophisticated color test, (ordered by the cops), showed that I perceived red darker than 'normal' people would see it.

Final road test - there's me and three cops, (one of whom was a sergeant), going through the "What color are the lights two intersections ahead?" routine. I'm nervous as hell, but doing well - although still suspecting they're going to find an excuse to fail me.

Sergeant says "Pull around that corner and stop at the curb".......turn the corner and the curb has a solid yellow line, so I think it's a 'gotcha'.

"Sorry, can't stop here, solid yellow line" I said, and kept going.

Sergeant says "When I tell you to stop, you $#@!* STOP"........turns out he wanted to buy some cigarettes.

I got my license.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #18
Administrator

I took the test and have normal color vision, but a conversation along the following lines is a common occurrence in my house:

Young Wife - "What color did you get?"

Gumby - "Pink." Showing her.

YW - "No, that's coral." (or rose, or salmon, or peach, or bubblegum, or one of a million other names I can't remember)

G - "Looks pink to me."
Old 05-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

"Pink is in the eye of the beholder."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I took the test and have normal color vision, but a conversation along the following lines is a common occurrence in my house:

Young Wife - "What color did you get?"

Gumby - "Pink." Showing her.

YW - "No, that's coral." (or rose, or salmon, or peach, or bubblegum, or one of a million other names I can't remember)

G - "Looks pink to me."
Reminds me of times spent helping my Mom sort embroidery floss for needlework projects. Sometimes we were just guessing which color was Medium-Dark Yellow and which one was Dark Goldenrod.

On the subject of the glasses, I asked my BIL a few years ago if he had thought about trying them and he was not interested at all. He doesn't want his vision "fixed" as if it's somehow defective. He just feels like it's his version of normal even if it's different than the average person's. He enjoys being a little different in many ways though.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote