Coming Clean!

jmp470

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm putting this out there to get it off my chest :D

I'm 43 and retired while the wife is a 39y/o stay at home mom.

AND WE DECIDED TO GET A MAID SERVICE :D

I feel better getting that off my chest. Bottom line, time is money and we both value our time more than cleaning the house. They will start in December.

But, in truth, is "time really money" in your case?

I do have some envy, as my wife still works and I do all of the cleaning!

But, in truth, is "time really money" in your case?

I do have some envy, as my wife still works and I do all of the cleaning!

Hey, don't come at me like that :LOL:

We just got done justifying this to ourselves:cool:

Blow that dough!

And what is this “house cleaning” of which you speak?

I had hired a guy to pick up the leaves in my yard this year. I don't mind mowing the lawn in Summer but for some reason I don't like the raking and bagging. But it dawned on me in August that I am in my 60's now and the world wouldn't end if I actually spent the money and jobbed out one of my least favorite chores.

The guy never showed so I ended up running the mower over the yard and just mass-mulching the leaves.

I had hired a guy to pick up the leaves in my yard this year. I don't mind mowing the lawn in Summer but for some reason I don't like the raking and bagging. But it dawned on me in August that I am in my 60's now and the world wouldn't end if I actually spent the money and jobbed out one of my least favorite chores.

The guy never showed so I ended up running the mower over the yard and just mass-mulching the leaves.

I stopped picking up the leaves long ago. I bought the mulching kit for my lawn mower. You made a great decision, IMO.

I'm putting this out there to get it off my chest :D

I'm 43 and retired while the wife is a 39y/o stay at home mom.

AND WE DECIDED TO GET A MAID SERVICE :D ....

Slacker. :D

I'm trying, unsuccessfully so far, to talk DW into haivng a housekeeper come in and clean the floors and toilets.... good for you.

We cannot find anyone that cleans up to my wive's standards for cleanliness. Thankfully she's getting over her knee replacement and can do her own damn cleaning.

Life has not been the same for her since she wore out her cordless vacuum. Maybe another vacuum is going to be her Christmas present.

The downstairs man cave is my responsibility, however.

Maybe another vacuum is going to be her Christmas present.

I think there is a law against getting a vacuum as a present. I think the penalty for such an infraction can be severe. You might should just get one before the holidays.

Reactions: jj
I think there is a law against getting a vacuum as a present.

In our household, the prohibition is on regarding ANY household appliance as a present. DW made that abundantly clear to me in our first year of marriage. :LOL:

I think there is a law against getting a vacuum as a present. I think the penalty for such an infraction can be severe. You might should just get one before the holidays.

Generally, Thanksgiving is a good time to bring one home as the house is usually a mess after the family leaves.

Oh, DW is on full time oxygen and her hose won't reach the back bedroom. I have ordered a longer hose so she doesn't have to move the 40 pound O2 machine around when she vacuums.

I have had FT help for over 30 years, some combination of Nannies/Cooks/Housekeepers/Yard maintenance/handymen/doorman, etc.

My 3 year olds favorite expression is : "Daddy, what are you doing here?"

How did you select a service?

We brought in a service for half a day to do some cleaning that had gotten away from us, and I was horrified at some of what they did (I stayed and watched). I didn't know anyone to ask for recommendations, so I used Angie's List.

It was two women, who spoke no English. The company rep had told me to call HQ if there were any problems, and HQ would speak Spanish to the crew. This proved impractical, as the issues that arose needed to be nipped in the bud *immediately,* not wait for a third party to communicate. I became frazzled.

They did not bring a ladder, nor ask us for one. When it came time to clean the top of the fridge, they jumped up on the countertops (granite - could have cracked)! I managed to get them down, but this nettled them, b/c I could not explain the risk in Spanish. Also they scrubbed so hard, it left scratches on the steel cooktop. They wanted to wet-mop the wax-finish hardwood floor, in the foyer, which is not supposed to get wet. And on and on!

Oh, and to forestall the inevitable "You should have..." I did go over some of these things (like the floor) with the company rep beforehand. I didn't foresee jumping on the counters, though.

Since then, I have been afraid to bring anyone in.

We've moved from me doing all the cleaning to my wife hiring a cleaner to come every two weeks. The house is much cleaner after each of her visits, and I'm less grumpy about cleaning up after my wife thanI used to be. Totally worth it. Going to be putting it into my retirement budget for sure.

Maybe another vacuum is going to be her Christmas present.

If I did something like that I'd consider myself lucky if she merely smacked me upside the head with it. More likely it would be forcibly inserted somewhere painful.:LOL:

Of course our time is very valuable. The older we the more valuable it becomes since we know it’s a shrinking commodity.

Not quite the same as time is money.

Congrats on the maid service. We’d do it if we felt comfortable having someone else in the house.

I hired a cleaning woman in Feb.when I was ill. She did a great job but gradually did a less great job so I started cleaning my house again in June .After asking all my friends they all have had the same experiences with cleaning help. I will definitely hire someone again when I am ill .It really frees you to just concentrate on getting better.

How did you select a service?

We brought in a service for half a day to do some cleaning that had gotten away from us, and I was horrified at some of what they did (I stayed and watched). I didn't know anyone to ask for recommendations, so I used Angie's List.

Typically get a referral from a neighbor. Mrs Scrapr picked up a cleaner from a neighbor then referred her out to more neighbors. I think the cleaner does 5 or 6 homes on our street now. with the individual cleaner you can show them how you want it done and be fairly confident it will be that way. If you use a service then you may have rotating teams. Which will have to relearn your system

DW is planning to join me in retirement in January.

We are considering our first housekeeping/maid also!

-gauss

I do most of the cleaning inside the house, but no work around and outside the house.

We sort of look at it as helping support local / small businesses. We had a chain type cleaning service when we both worked, but switched to a lady that runs her own.

This last summer we hired a guy who runs his own lawn service business. We actually just wanted weed control/fertilizer / etc. but after meeting with him, gauging his character, and seeing his fees we hired him to mow our lawn too. He seems a salt of the earth type person, and I'm pretty sure his business needs the business.

Our own very little way of helping out the local economy. Or maybe that is what we tell ourselves to feel better, lol.

We have noticed the same thing with the lawn mowing service we're using this year. Eventually they take you for granted, unless you speak up about something. They probably have other clients who are squeakier wheels.

I hired a cleaning woman in Feb.when I was ill. She did a great job but gradually did a less great job so I started cleaning my house again in June .After asking all my friends they all have had the same experiences with cleaning help. I will definitely hire someone again when I am ill .It really frees you to just concentrate on getting better.

Back
Top Bottom