Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
....We're looking for a retirement property and have totally ruled out anything within 5 miles of a quarry for that reason. In fact, we passed on our "dream" property earlier last year simply because there was a POSSIBILITY of a quarry coming within a mile or two sometime in the future. It was a very tough call, but we just couldn't do it..

Suggest you pass unless you're OK with noise, dust, traffic and general nuisance..

ETA - even IF your state or municipality "protects" you today (eg: noise levels, hours of operation, etc)..consider this - the Gravel Association (whatever it's called) got together here in MI, found a Junior lawmaker, contributed heavily to his campaign (true story) and then had him sponsor legislation to basically wipe out ALL protections that existed for homeowners, statewide. That legislation is currently working it's way through the MI House and Senate, but if it does pass..whoo boy, are people who live anywhere near a quarry totally and completely screwed. What's truly tragic about this particular story is that the lawmaker in question is from DETROIT, which is a good 50+ miles from ANY quarry...but that's how "the game" is increasingly played nowadays..
I agree, 5 miles is a good rule to go by for any type of operation of this size I think. There is a steel mill about 6 miles from this neighborhood too and it is 700 acres in size and has a output of 500 million tons of steel per year, over a million tons a day! There is a lot of manufacturing in this area, especially along the James River.

We ought to have a thread on "gotchas" to look out for when looking for a new home.

I know about those trade association attorneys. During my w*rking days I was employed by mega trade association for one of the biggest industries in the US and had one of those attorneys assigned to our department (I was not involved in lobbying or legislative activities, though).
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 07:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yup and we'd walk.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:24 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Landfills really stink in the summer. Especially if they contain yard waste. Should be ok 1.5 miles southwest of the landfill if your summer winds are generally out of the west and southwest.

Quarry shouldn’t be a problem. You should be out of range of extreme noise and any damage that blasting would do.

But I would hang out close to your proposed house for a few hours during the day and see what the conditions are.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it really depends on the local topography and consistency of the winds. I used to live kinda close to a mushroom farm/plant. That was the worst, but after a year or so we just didn't notice it. Now that we live farther away I notice it when I drive past the old neighborhood on summer days. Find someone new to the area and ask them.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post

As I type this, DW is cancelling tomorrow's appointment with the realtor to see this house. I can't deal with the possibility of a bad situation again.

+1. Given your current situation with the neighbors chimney, being near a quarry or landfill will not be an improvement.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:48 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
Thank you all for replying. All great advice and suggestions.

As I type this, DW is cancelling tomorrow's appointment with the realtor to see this house. I can't deal with the possibility of a bad situation again.
Well, sorry we all may have seemed so negative with advice, but now you two are clear to steer your search to the many homes where landfills and/or quarries won't even be a consideration.

Once again, give yourself a pat on the back for researching the wider neighborhood ahead of time, and good luck on your home search! Check back in as you narrow your search or make a purchase, and let us know!
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
I think it really depends on the local topography and consistency of the winds. I used to live kinda close to a mushroom farm/plant. That was the worst, but after a year or so we just didn't notice it. Now that we live farther away I notice it when I drive past the old neighborhood on summer days. Find someone new to the area and ask them.
I found this site useful for the wind direction throughout the year at a location you select: https://weatherspark.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210129-220110_Chrome.jpg (418.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Well, sorry we all may have seemed so negative with advice, but now you two are clear to steer your search to the many homes where landfills and/or quarries won't even be a consideration.

Once again, give yourself a pat on the back for researching the wider neighborhood ahead of time, and good luck on your home search! Check back in as you narrow your search or make a purchase, and let us know!
Will do; thanks RetireeRobert.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:45 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't see this thread until just now, but wanted to chime in and tell you that I agree with the others. I think you made the right decision not to pursue this house.

As I am sure you know, the three most important factors to consider in real estate are "location, location, and location".
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I didn't see this thread until just now, but wanted to chime in and tell you that I agree with the others. I think you made the right decision not to pursue this house.

As I am sure you know, the three most important factors to consider in real estate are "location, location, and location".
Bingo!
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote