Condo/Townhouse living question?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Since I don't have much condo/townhouse experience but am looking into purchasing one in the near future, I'd like to ask this:

Since there aren't lifeguards on duty at condo/townhouse developments with pools, how deep is the depth in most of these pools? I've been told by one condo company that due to insurance costs they cannot be any deeper than 4 feet deep. Is this the norm at condo/townhouse developments:confused:?
If so, it might be a smarter move for me to get a condo or townhouse with no pool and just take a membership in an indoor pool in the community that has some depth like 10 feet deep or so. But can you find alot of condo/townhouse developments without pools? :confused:
I don't know if this is an issue with anyone else, but it is to me as I am a heavy-duty water jogger/aerobics and swimmer. 4 feet really kills the fun for me for sure.:(

Not the norm in FL (or most other places I have stayed in condos) -- my folks live in a fairly new beachfront condo in Daytona Beach Shores and the deep end of the pool is around 7'. Maybe this is a state or city restriction so might be dependent on where you live.

The pool at my sister's California apartment complex is 8 feet at the deep end.

Our Townhome complex pool is 9 or 10 feet deep. Development is 30+ years old so I don't know that it represents current practices. You can see where the dive board was removed; I assume for liability reasons.

t.r.

I don't know if this is an issue with anyone else, but it is to me as I am a heavy-duty water jogger/aerobics and swimmer. 4 feet really kills the fun for me for sure.:(
As I never learned to swim in my 62 years, anything above the height of my nose (a bit over 5') is kind of a drag. I do enjoy breathing :LOL: ...

I think this depends
in our old TH community, the pool might have been 5 ft at its deepest
I have been to other associations with different depth pools

what is more important (I think) to ask is even if the pool was 5 ft deep, could you actually do laps in it while others are using it? Even if it was 20 feet deep, could you still do laps if others are using it?

The pool is a place for the community to gather and socialize, even if you do your laps in a club, you might just want to meet people at the pool.

I have a friend who lives in one with a SMALL pool that most people could put in their backyard... it is 6 ft

My mom's is a bigger pool and IIRC it is 10 ft. Also has a jaccuzi...

Clearly there is a variety of pool depths. My condo has a small pool that I believe tops out at 4ft. Maybe it's 5 ft i'm not really sure since i've never been in it.

I also like to get into the deep end.

... My condo has a small pool that I believe tops out at 4ft. Maybe it's 5 ft i'm not really sure since i've never been in it.

I know it's a tundra climate where you live, Aaron, but isn't there one day a year when it would be warm enough. Years ago, I lived in your state and rented an apt. with indoor pool but it had a deep end.

There's so much to consider when evaluating a specific condoo or condo life in general. I like your idea of finding your best condo and if it doesn't have the kind of pool you like take a membership elsewhere where they can meet your needs.

It would be unfortunate to find the pool of your dreams but in a condo you are not well suited to. Also, a community-based pool will probably have its share of people who might not respect your need for a disciplined workout (like maybe coctails while standing in the pool in your lane), unlike a fitness center pool.

Out of curiosity, I wrote a Del Webb 55+ active adult community in the Phoenix area and asked about various things--including pool depth as I saw no diving board in the ads. 4 feet!:rolleyes: That's pathetic....

I think Rich in Tampa has made an intelligent suggestion about getting a recreation center pool anyway. Hadn't even thought about cocktails by the pool at all. Never really lived in a condo, so this is a new world.

**This reminds me of when Ron Howard was filming "Cocoon." They had all these old guys in the film and were worried about how to shoot the swimming pool scenes, so they ask gently and cautiously if any of them could swim or dive. They all yelled "yes!" and almost in unison dove in and were swimming around. So that settled that... I think younger people think once you are over 60 you lose all your abilities!:rolleyes::LOL:

I lived in a community with a pool . The deep end was 8' . Most of the lap swimmers went in the morning and there were never any problems.

I lived in a townhome many years ago in Hampton, VA, right on Buckroe Beach. We had a very nice pool for a small complex. It was certainly deeper than 4 ft...I am thinking more like 8 feet or so. I think my husband and I were the youngest people living there, and the pool was used very little. I recall swimming laps all the time, and on summer week end afternoons, we were often the only people there. The clubhouse had a wonderful indoor hot tub, also little used. It is a plus that as a retiree, you can use the pool at times when it is not so busy. As Moemg said, there are probably better times of the day for the serious swimmers. I think condo living can be very nice for a single person and also for someone who does not want to deal with maintenance issues.

I'm not a big fan of having a pool at a complex where you own, because whether or not you use it, or if it sits vacant 95% of the time it is costing you and pools are costly little devils to maintain.

I've lived at a lot of apt complexes and have never seen one as shallow as 4' at the deep end.

I have lived at, and have seen, a number of apartment complexes and some were pretty expensive and "nice". There isn't one that has a pool clean enough that I would really want to swim in it. Ewww. I would imagine that condo complexes would be the same.

I would swim in the pool at my gym, though. Even better, a country/city club.

Most developments condo ,Townhouse or even single family home in Florida have pools and they are well maintained . The pool is great because in the morning the serious swimmers come and some places have water aerobics . The afternoon is for the social swimmers who also lounge ,read books and exchange gossip. I now have my own pool but I miss the easy socialization of a community pool . I do use the pool at my gym and it's nice but it's not the same fun atmosphere . Orchid Flower , you being a extrovert would absolutely love it !

Pools are money pits, particularly in cool climates. [My husband is an Architect and knows.] Were I you I would find a condo near a rec center with a pool I enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom