Join Early Retirement Today

Confirmed my decision to RE last night.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

Confirmed my decision to RE last night.

A former coworker sent out an email blast to get folks together at a local beer tasting room, Rough Draft. I decided to join them. It's near my old employer. As I was driving there, I observed the traffic I used to sit in on the way home (on the other side of the freeway.). I thanked goodness that it would be late enough to be traffic free by the time I left. This was about 5pm.

I left for home at 7:15pm... and... still major traffic. Stop and go... average speed about 10mph. No accident... just volume.

The traffic going the other way, in the morning, also seems to be stop & go parking lot earlier and earlier in the morning. I observe this as I drive my kids to school (in the opposite direction) and then on to my Italian class 2 days a week. At 6:45-7am the traffic going in the direction of my old work is completely congested/stopped. Fortunately, that traffic has cleared completely by the time I'm out of class and heading back that way.

I am *SO* glad that I'm not dealing with this traffic anymore. This completely reaffirms my decision to quit/retire/not go there anymore.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can sure relate to what you are saying. I love it when I occasionally get caught accidently in traffic from my former workplace. Now that I am retired, traffic doesn't bother me at all because I have all the time in the world and I don't really have to be anywhere by a certain time. I turn up the radio, put on my sunglasses, and smile.

Also fun is driving by my former workplace (a highrise) at 1/2 hour before people leave. I know full well that there are small gatherings around various windows on those upper floors, as people stare outside and wish they could go home. They can't see me but I wave.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I just met a still-working friend for a midweek dinner, and along the way got caught in an unanticipated traffic jam (I know the rhythms of our freeways well enough to avoid normal traffic). The immediate stress that was generated! Oh boy, nope, don't miss that one iota.

Another 'aha' is when I go to my monthly book club dinner meeting, which occurs on a midweek night as well, and recognize the stress streaming off of everyone that has come straight from work. It makes me shudder when I remember being just like that.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even though I leave later in the morning, and work later hours, I still get caught in Silicon Valley traffic sometimes. It's amazing to me how 4 or 5 lanes of highway can get choked up for miles at 11am in the morning, with no apparent accidents anywhere.

I can't wait to leave this place. I'm so glad I never bought a house here, because as soon as feasible after I FIRE from where I'm at, I'm outta here and never coming back.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Every day that I wake up and can do ANYTHING I want (no parenting duties even ) is all the confirmation I need that my decision to RE was a no brainer.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #6

I made the announcement this week to RE, and had the normal third and fourth thoughts. Last night, a long time friend told me his 49 y/o brother (he was the little kid hanging around us when I was elementary school) is dying of cancer and won't likely make it to the end of next week. With so many people I want to spend time with and places I want to see, I am more sure of my decision than ever.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #7

I now do my business Monday through Friday 10 am to 2 pm so I miss all the traffic. Put the top down on the car and don't have a care in the world. Use to take 1 1/2 hour one way to get to work. Don't miss those days. DH retires in Jan. 2015 then no traffic for him unless by choice! Yipee!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't use my car to go to work (I rode the trains) so I fairly often see people walking home from my nearby LIRR station after getting off one of the trains I frequently rode. One of those trains arrives at about 6:30 PM which is when I am on my way out to my Tuesday evening square dance club, something I could not go to when I worked on Tuesdays, even part-time.

I have ridden on the LIRR only twice since I ERed nearly 6 years ago, and I don't miss that one bit! My old office in Jersey City, New Jersey, I have seen very rarely. The closest I got to it, not counting from across the river in lower Manhattan, was back in late June when I was on an Amtrak train going to Indianapolis. We came out of the tunnel and our seats were facing south so I briefly spotted the tall building a few miles away.

As for driving, I try very hard not to get caught in any rush-hour traffic for any long distance. The few times I am on the parkway during rush hour, it is almost always in the opposite direction so the traffic is not nearly as harsh. But here on Long Island, the PM rush hour often extends well into the 7-8 PM hour so I have gotten caught in that on nights out. I do have alternate routes on the local streets so I can bail out from a big tie-up on the parkway.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Even though I leave later in the morning, and work later hours, I still get caught in Silicon Valley traffic sometimes. It's amazing to me how 4 or 5 lanes of highway can get choked up for miles at 11am in the morning, with no apparent accidents anywhere.

I can't wait to leave this place. I'm so glad I never bought a house here, because as soon as feasible after I FIRE from where I'm at, I'm outta here and never coming back.
Feel the same way about Lost Angeles and SoCal. When I leave (soon), will never come back, just like I've done with SF (lived there) and Vegas (never lived there, but detest the place). Realized quite recently I don't leave cities, I divorce them.

I have just 18 weeks until the whole w*rk/commute thing is all over...
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #10

DS is 37, works overseas and is currently in Chicago with his DW awaiting birth of first child. Texted me about how wonderful it was to go to Lowe's on a weekday, no one there! I just laughed; if I do need anything on weekend I gotta need it bad to go to anything like a Lowe's. One of the many benefits of retirement! And never a Dr or dentist appointment that puts me in traffic even though it's really pretty mild here.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Traffics in BA have gotten worse. Sillycon Belly's economy must have been getting better. In the last 6 months, it feels like 5 more minutes were added to my usual commute time.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Feel the same way about Lost Angeles and SoCal. When I leave (soon), will never come back, just like I've done with SF (lived there) and Vegas (never lived there, but detest the place). Realized quite recently I don't leave cities, I divorce them.

I have just 18 weeks until the whole w*rk/commute thing is all over...
I divorced Lost Angeles in 1980 when I went to college. Never looked back. Consider Last Vegas for ER but scrapped that rather quickly. Staying put in BA for now.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, the traffic in Sorrento Valley was especially bad last night, 1 hour 25 min for me to get 14 miles home. It's definitely one of the things that frustrates me a lot and is making me yearn for RE.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
I now do my business Monday through Friday 10 am to 2 pm so I miss all the traffic. Put the top down on the car and don't have a care in the world. Use to take 1 1/2 hour one way to get to work. Don't miss those days. DH retires in Jan. 2015 then no traffic for him unless by choice! Yipee!
This is best time to do anything. I call this "retiree drive time". I have 30 w*ork days left and really, I am only going to w*rk around these hours anyway. I just couldn't stand the traffic (and school buses!!!) anymore.

I have told myself that if I *ever* think about going back to w*rk, I am going to hit the road around 6:30 AM head over to the Marta train (mass transit system here in ATL) and take a ride downtown and then back. I can only assume that after seeing the absolute misery on everyone's face in the train, my "going back" thoughts will be quite quelled.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
This is best time to do anything. I call this "retiree drive time". ........
I've gotten so spoiled that I resent the extra lunch hour traffic from about 11:30 to 1 PM.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
Yeah, the traffic in Sorrento Valley was especially bad last night, 1 hour 25 min for me to get 14 miles home. It's definitely one of the things that frustrates me a lot and is making me yearn for RE.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Yep - this was Sorrento Valley/805. I live fairly close (UC area) and have nightmares about it taking me over an hour to go 6 miles home.

At least I didn't have to deal with Mira Mesa Blvd... (I was south of there.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm not looking forward to our office move which puts me going down 880 past the airport which is going to be bad especially coming home. Also makes riding to work longer and far more risky with few bike lanes and a lot of rushed commuters. So I am hopeful that the FIRE is pretty soon.

OTOH I am glad I bought a house here...it's paid off and worth 3X or more what I paid for it. That's a nice thing to be sitting when wondering about a very long retirement
Old 09-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've gotten so spoiled that I resent the extra lunch hour traffic from about 11:30 to 1 PM.
Same here!

A few times a year we have to go back to the DC area for family gatherings and every time both of us look at each other and say "I am soooo glad we left!"

And when I hear people from around here in WV complain about traffic I tell them they have no clue and describe DC. Friday afternoon traffic here is about the same as 9:00AM Sunday there.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same here!

A few times a year we have to go back to the DC area for family gatherings and every time both of us look at each other and say "I am soooo glad we left!"

And when I hear people from around here in WV complain about traffic I tell them they have no clue and describe DC. Friday afternoon traffic here is about the same as 9:00AM Sunday there.
We have been wandering around Nova Scotia, and this province is about the same size as WV, but with 1/2 the population (900K vs. 1.8M). I have not been to WV, but compared to US states like AZ, NM, and even TX, where there's heavy concentration in metropolitan areas and the rest of the states is sparsely populated, Nova Scotians are more spread out across the province. Even in "large" cities like Halifax, there's no traffic jam.

Coming back to the US soon, I am going to circumvent all the major cities as I cannot stand all that traffic anymore.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yep, me too and also the traffic from the schools in the mornings and afternoons.

It was that commuting to and from work that pushed me over the edge and into retirement last year.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote