Join Early Retirement Today

Considering a remodel? You might want to wait.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is a pure rant but maybe it will help someone. We started gearing up for a needed kitchen remodel and new porch last winter before Covid. It’s still not complete.

- The contractor we “were lucky to secure” last summer eventually broke ground in October, estimating they’d be finished in mid December. LOL!
- Once your kitchen is demolished, life gets harder. We tried renting an apartment nearby and then going away for the winter through mid February, thinking that SURELY they’d be finished by the time we returned. LOL!!! We still have a microwave and fridge in our dining room and an Instantpot in the basement.
- In mid March, they told us it will be mid April. LOL! They still have weeks left, if we’re lucky. I’ve asked simple questions about our 6 figure project, which has resulted in them barely talking to us except through email.

Some reasons:
1) EVERYONE, it seems, has tried to remodel their houses at the same time. There were so many construction dumpsters on the streets in our town, the city passed an ordinance prohibiting them. That means debris is piling up in our backyard, killing the grass.

2). This means contractors are naming their prices. It means materials are scarce and late and prices are outrageous. It means projects get delayed and delayed due to supply chain issues. First we waited on windows. Then we waited on counter tops. Now we are waiting on the flooring subcontractor to show up.

3) The company we hired now has 12 projects going for 9 staff, last we heard. They have decided to seize the market moment and are clearly over-extended, because they haven’t hired more crew. Perhaps they can’t find new crew, because demand exceeds supply? We go weeks without any progress while they work on other projects. If we have even the smallest change order, they say, “We’re reallocating the team to another project while you decide what you want,” then it takes days before they show back up here.

4). If we or the site manager have a question to work out, as we constantly do, the site manager might or might not communicate it to the owner. So, the owner has told us to communicate only with her. However, the site manager keeps asking us questions. It’s a communication cluster.

5). Ironically for a boom time, I suspect they are having cash flow issues, because the owner asked to come pick up our last check and then deposited it that day. I think all of their too-many projects are delayed, meaning they can’t meet objectives fast enough to warrant payment but they still have to meet overall payroll for 9 every two weeks.

Another significant lesson from this project is, I will never do another remodel unless the general contractor is here on site every day helping pound nails and can communicate with us. We’ve designed this project with the owner, who has communicated to her overstretched site manager, and things are lost in translation, then needing to be fixed and costing us money and time. We’ve experienced both business models and there is no comparison.

...And I see several personal friends gearing up to go down the same road. Honestly, if you can wait until the remodeling market cools, you might be spared some significant hell.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What a nightmare! Wow.

I'm glad that I have no remodeling planned.

I'll be hoping that your remodel is finished in April, as promised.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I see you are in my neck of the woods, I hope it's the things you mentioned and not that you hired an overwhelmed going broke contractor...strange times for sure. Also possible that he has more profit in the newer projects and stuck you on the back burner.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I sympathize with you, what a nightmare!
When we remodeled our kitchen and baths several years ago, even the week wait in-between inspections, etc as the work was done was frustrating. It took a good month for us.
I can't imagine several months.
UGH!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I see you are in my neck of the woods, I hope it's the things you mentioned and not that you hired an overwhelmed going broke contractor...strange times for sure. Also possible that he has more profit in the newer projects and stuck you on the back burner.

Yep. At first, before this boom, they said they liked the challenge of accomplishing what we want on our budget. I asked, “So, who are these clients who remodel without concern for a budget?”Now, I can tell, we are gum on the bottom of their shoes and we’ve blown right through that original budget.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
I sympathize with you, what a nightmare!
When we remodeled our kitchen and baths several years ago, even the week wait in-between inspections, etc as the work was done was frustrating. It took a good month for us.
I can't imagine several months.
UGH!

Oh, yeah. I forgot that the inspections at every little stage also delay things.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would simply stop paying the contractor. THere's no way a kitchen should take that long. Even an entire gutting of the space wouldnt take that long.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I am in the process of a number of changes in my lake house as my heat pump compressor froze up. And a wall adjacent to a shower must be removed to replace the air handler so I've removed the shower tile already.

I'm tearing out the upstairs bathroom floor I tiled 40 years ago and replacing it. The bath will also be repainted.
All bedroom and bathroom doors are being replaced--an easy job done in 2 hrs. or less.
The entrance hall tile floor is small and it's being replaced.
The downstairs shower was torn out and I'm going to put in a new showerpan, rebuild the walls and retile it. New shower plumbing will also be installed.
I've purchased new kitchen appliances--stove, dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave--on F/B Marketplace. Getting the new 300 lb. refrigerator down the hill and getting the old refrigerator back up the hill is the hard part.
All screen on the screened porch and upstairs balcony is being replaced.
And the heat pump (separates) are being replaced.

Except for the HVAC unit, all of the above jobs are easily done by an amateur. Tile work is sometimes heavy work and tough on the knees, but it's not especially skilled work. After all the baths I've rebuilt thru the years, I do better tile work than professionals. And as a retiree, all I have is time.

I cannot imagine spending 6 figures on a kitchen renovation, and cabinet shops are certainly capable of finishing such jobs. I can get a plumber in within 24 hours. And I question having 9 people on such a small job. Workers' time is money.

I prefer to break down the job tasks and get people in to do the jobs one by one. I would never use a general contractor for minor home renovations. We built one 6600 square foot home and ended up having to deal directly with all the subs since the contractor was out on other jobs.

As far as payment, it needs to be done in increments--as portions of the job are completed. I've also been known to pay for all supplies, cabinetry, etc. myself and just pay the contractor for his guys labor. At least that way, I didn't have some unpaid supplier slapping liens on the job.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #9

^^^^ When are you available?
Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #10

I'm @ 9 months since contract for a (relatively) simple pool. Everything is taking longer. Everything that was supposed to happen week after week is month after month. Walking, not sprinting.

Yes, this is the worst time to be doing this, everyone is doing upgrades. But yeah a good GC - one throat to choke - is mandatory in the best of times.

At the end of it all, if schedule overruns are the only lasting issue, count yourself lucky. Remodels almost always far exceed schedule in the best of times.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It's kind of depressing because no matter what the problem, they blame it on Covid, it can't all be Covid's fault can it?

At about 14 days from planting corn and after paying for our inputs months ago, one of our key components is MIA (and yes it's Covid's fault). And of course, if you ask it's coming any day now.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The money grab is on. Home prices and building supplies are scarce in many regions. Anyways, it's nice to remodel. Maybe a good time to sell, as well.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Wow that’s awful!! The only time we hired that level of work done we paid them in increments because of my cousin getting cheated. Eventually we quit paying and my husband finished the job.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We had a contractor out to deal with some irrigation issues. It was a huge pain to find ANYONE who would do the work, let alone get them scheduled. The fella that finally came out and fixed us up said that supplies are hard to come by and he's had to hire 7 people in the last month because of how busy he's been. He would like to hire 3 more, but can't get anyone to apply!

Landscapers are hard to come by too and they all pretty much suck. Terrible prices, don't show up, do shoddy work.

No way I would want to renovate anything in this environment.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

We gave a roofing contractor a check for a down payment. It was someone we trusted and worked with for the past 15 years. Delays followed delays. There was always a reason why they could not start the job. Then their phone number was disconnected. A Google search revealed they were out of business and filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The down payment check is gone forever. I will never pay a contractor with a check ever again unless it's the final payment after the work is complete. Maybe not even then.
Sangiovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
This is a pure rant but maybe it will help someone. We started gearing up for a needed kitchen remodel and new porch last winter before Covid. It’s still not complete.
We're doing a master bathroom remodel here in the Phoenix area, where there is both the remodel rage AND a new housing boom at the same time. So we're experiencing a lot of the same issues you are. It's still in process - demolition started in mid-February - so we still don't know the full extent of the time overrun yet.

The good news is it's looking great thus far and we are very happy with the work. It's sometimes frustrating when you don't know which trade is coming when, and most days no one shows up at all. Our GC, who hasn't been out since the project started, told us yesterday he'd be out today but I don't believe him.

Patience is a virtue these days. We're just glad we are retired and can help with some of the cross-trade communication (including some high school Spanish LOL) and PM work.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangiovese View Post
We gave a roofing contractor a check for a down payment. It was someone we trusted and worked with for the past 15 years. Delays followed delays. There was always a reason why they could not start the job. Then their phone number was disconnected. A Google search revealed they were out of business and filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The down payment check is gone forever. I will never pay a contractor with a check ever again unless it's the final payment after the work is complete. Maybe not even then.
Sangiovese, unfortunately around here, without a down payment cheque, you won't get on a schedule or get materials ordered. It's risky, but it is also the reason that I let a roofing contract to higher price bid since I felt more confident that they could deliver. I guess that we shall see in the next month whether that was a good decision.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Our kitchen (well before covid) went really smooth. Still had to wait 10 weeks before signed contract and work to start. Took 3 full days and 2 guys.

Day 1 - Rip out old cabs and counter and install top cabs.
Day 2 - Install bottom cabs and plywood over top
Day 3 - Install sink and granite counters and backsplashes.

I put in the plumbing, garbage grinder, hot water tank, sink and water filter and also the vent hood and ducting.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I'm @ 9 months since contract for a (relatively) simple pool. Everything is taking longer. Everything that was supposed to happen week after week is month after month. Walking, not sprinting.

Yes, this is the worst time to be doing this, everyone is doing upgrades. But yeah a good GC - one throat to choke - is mandatory in the best of times.

At the end of it all, if schedule overruns are the only lasting issue, count yourself lucky. Remodels almost always far exceed schedule in the best of times.
My pool was contracted before COVID (December 2019) to be installed “first on their list” in the spring. Of course COVID hit and there were many delays, but everyone who came said how lucky I was to have contracted pre COVID. The got us into the water by July but the final landscaping want able to start until fall. There was one mistake that was made during the build which still isn’t repaired. They were just out a couple days ago. They actually had the parts they needed, which apparently were on back order all last year, but they still had to figure out how to actually pull off the repair. They said they’d be back in a couple days. I’ll be lucky if they’re back in a couple weeks and I don’t expect they’ll ever get it done. My guess is I’ll end up in small claims court with the guy.

There’s other things that should be addressed, but the one issue has (needs) to be fixed. Unfortunately, the guy never calls me back or answers emails. As said above, he does seem to react to this one issue, but everything else doesn’t appear will ever be addressed.

The good thing is that at least we can swim and the grandkids enjoy the pool. Hopefully, at least the one issue will be fixed this year because it presents a tripping hazard and the safety measures look like crap.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #20

Cabinetry and kitchen refacing is my personal business. I keep it small with only myself doing the work. I believe that puts my clients at ease as I'm a one stop shop. A refacing is a pretty straightforward process. I get appx 1/4 down and the balance when I'm done.

A deposit gets them in the schedule and doors made. I then prime & paint them prior to doing demo. 1 week or less (after doors are complete) is a typical kitchen refacing and backsplash in my typical job. Clients are back in business in 5-7 days...

Most refacings with new doors and backsplash have been coming in around $7-8k + countertops (usually $3-5k) + appliances for POR.

Materials are up 10-15% over the past year, but not like lumber thankfully.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gvm53NdGytYUoEkPA
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote