Costa Rica

Mr._johngalt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Although I had intended to stay in the USA, we are
now considering Costa Rica property. Anyone have any
direct knowledge about living in Costa Rica??

John Howells wrote a book on retiring in Costa Rica that I enjoyed. Perhaps you local library has a copy, or can borrow one from a neigboring library.

You definitely want to live in Costa Rica for a while before deciding to move there. By a while I mean 6 to 12 months.

It will be somewhat different from the US.

I've spent the last two winters in Costa Rica...here's a rant i wrote about who should and who shouldn't consider ER in Costa Rica:

News Flash! Foreigners Stricken with Tropical Fever

costa_rica_beach.jpg

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Similar observations from a friend who visited in the early eighties. Left because the disparity between the ex Pat's and locals got to him. Good card carrying Union man from PA.

My old company opened up a place there. A lot of people moved there and liked it a lot. Probably because they had their own little 'enclave' of primarily US born co-workers. It was not that different from a few other "company towns" where everywhere you went you were surrounded by people who worked at the same place and were more affluent than the rest of the locals.

John, I have never lived there but have traveled there and visited expat gringos living there. I second what Doug says-and he has a lot more experience with the country. Most of the sober gringos I met were Mennonites, missionaries, or other working people.

However, you could sure have your big boat on big water. At least when I was there twenty years ago, there were some gringo captains running fishing charters out of Punt Arenas. Is the Pacific Ocean big enough?

I would give this some very serious thought though- in over 4000 posts you have never said anything that suggests you might like this sort of thing. As for cheapness, like TH said, right in the USA you can buy beef for $2/# if you watch the flyers, and live near several big stores. You can grow a garden for vegetables. You are a sucessful fisherman so there is your fish.

That leaves cheap services, because most manufactured goods are probably cheaper at WalMart in the US than anyplace else in the world. You don't seem like the type of guy who is dying to have a maid. And don't forget-Medicare doesn't travel.

Mikey

Is that Picture near Manuel Antonio National Park on the Western Coast of Costa Rica?

That's what I was thinking when I saw that picture! It looks exactly like Manuel Antonio. I had the biggest scare of my life while I was on that beach. I put my money belt in a daypack, away from any people, and went swimming where I thought I could still keep an eye on it. About 2 mins after swimming, I noticed some monkeys had unzipped my daypack and then proceed to toss my moneybelt around. It had my passport, future wife's passport and $$$ in it.

After swimming faster than Michael Phelps, I noticed that they were after my PowerBar in the pack. Very pretty area, but definitely not my favorite part of Costa Rica.

WanderALot said:
I had the biggest scare of my life while I was on that beach.  I put my money belt in a daypack, away from any people,  and went swimming where I thought I could still keep an eye on it.  About 2 mins after swimming, I noticed some monkeys had unzipped my daypack and then proceed to toss my moneybelt around.  It had my passport, future wife's passport and $$$ in it.

From this I deduce that you have lived a sheltered life.

Mikey

From this I deduce that you have lived a sheltered life.

I suppose. I'm really paranoid about losing my passport/tickets etc. That's probably my biggest fear when traveling. Looking back on it, that wasn't my brightest moment.

Yes, the picture is indeed at Manuel Antonio.

I loved the monkey story! There's a lot of petty theft in Costa Rica (friends had passports and camera stolen from their parked car near this beach) but usually the monkeys are only stealing food! Maybe this one was smart and realized he could sell the passport for a whole lot of bananas!

Actually I also have a blog on my website that includes theiving monkeys and other close encounters with nature in Costa Rica: Close Encounters with Nature

manuel_antonio_monkey_eating_stolen_lunch.jpg

Love Costa Rica... we've done 2 long (8 week) trips to Costa Rica and Western Panama (highlands around Volcan and Boquete are gorgeous). The expats who stay there and stay sane are laid back ex Peace Corps types who own small fincas and run them as ecotourist lodges-- trails for birding, enjoying the rainforest, etc.

We met our share of wound-up Americans, Germans, etc. who were wacko. One guy from New York built a little cabin near a town on the Pacific Coast-- once you get up slightly away from the coast, as his place was, there is a torrential rainy season. He leaves for the rainy season and the first year, wrapped all of his stuff up in plastic, but when he returned everything was moldy and decaying. He spent his days hanging out at a little backpackers hotel near Uvita, where we stayed, dying for the company and English conversation. He ate most of his meals there and drank a fair amount. His wife refused to come along and was still in New York (with her sanity intact).

I love Costa Rica, and we love birding and visiting the different ecosystems there- cloudforest, lowland rainforest, etc. We will probably spend a few winters there, staying a couple months or so at a time at different backpackers hotels for a reasonable monthly rate. Buying property there requires a lot of money or a lot of local knowledge and Spanish speaking ability. For example, if you aren't occupying your place at all times, squatters' rights apply. you need to have local friends to watch your place at all times.

MRGALT2U said:
now considering Costa Rica property.

Some of us might be willing to contribute if your new property doesnt have any internet access ;)

MRGALT2U said:
now considering Costa Rica property.

JG, when you finally get your CR property, let me know when you plan to be away from it so that I can move in and claim squatter's rights.

MJ :D

Hey what about the Dominican Republic property the guy or spam was trying to sell us from the 'Other Topics' board. Hell I am packing my bags for first dibs.

Back
Top Bottom