Could you go back to work again?

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
Not "Do you want to go back to work" but
for those who have enjoyed years of ER

If it was necesary for you to go back to work for whatever reason,

Would you be able to find a job that pays near what you used to earn prior to ER?

Humm... I work for money and if I resumed my former responsibilities I would double my pay. If I stuck around for 5+ yrs I would probably increase my retirement by 80%. (ER'd at 48 with 26+ yrs)

One person I met this week, who started after I retired, told me that my former co-workers remarked that my work is highly regarded.  Jeesh, I have been gone for 15 years! Almost makes me want to consider re-joining the gang.

Nope. Health is mostly  gone.  I am so f****** glad a "tuned in, turned on, and dropped out" at 38.  I'd  kill myslef if I still had to work and feel the way I do. Especially if I had to work out of outright necessity: No work-no eat.

If I live till 90...I screwed them ALL! Bwah ha ha ha ha ...! If I go next week, at least  I got 10 yrs of screwing-off at will, all day long and never had to watch a clock or worry about paying a bill

razztazz said:
Nope. Health is mostly  gone.  I am so f****** glad a "tuned in, turned on, and dropped out" at 38.  I'd  kill myslef if I still had to work and feel the way I do. Especially if I had to work out of outright necessity: No work-no eat.

If I live till 90...I screwed them ALL! Bwah ha ha ha ha ...! If I go next week, at least  I got 10 yrs of screwing-off at will, all day long and never had to watch a clock or worry about paying a bill

Hmmm.  I would think the reason people would want to ER is to do something good for themselves and their family, possibly even friends and community.  IOW, focus on ER with a positive mental attitude.

I don't think I'd want to have the attitude of "dropping out" so I could "screw them all" (whoever "all" are).  I don't know how you would ever not worry about paying a bill, unless you're on some type of guaranteed disability or living with your parents who are supporting you, but good health or bad health we are all destined to die, so boiling your mind in revenge stew is probably worse for your health and sanity than trying to enjoy each remaining minute of life.

I've been fully retired for one year. Last week for the first time since then I visited the web site of the NASA project I retired from. It looks like everything has changed, even the name of the project, the schedule, the order of the modules, etc. It would take me a long time to get back up to speed, which I'm sure they wouldn't pay me to do. I was getting paid very well before I left because I had unique knowledge of aspects of the project that were critical to success on upcoming milestones that no one else had. I'm no longer in that situation so I could not hope to make similar $ if I went back to work.

Fortunately, with a hefty CSRS pension with COLA, no debt and a 7 figure net worth I won't have to go back to work unless Uncle Sam goes broke.

Grumpy

Hmmm. I would think the reason people would want to ER is to do something good for themselves and their family, possibly even friends and community. IOW, focus on ER with a positive mental attitude.

You'd think? So what?

You didn't read what I wrote and missed the whole thing.

grumpy said:
Fortunately, with a hefty CSRS pension with COLA, no debt and  a 7 figure net worth I won't have to go back to work unless Uncle Sam goes broke.

Grumpy

Grumpy: You should change your handle to "content". Won't suggest "happy", because
the only folks I've meant that are truly happy all the time, are institutionalized in the "funny farm".
In keeping with the spirit of the thread. "I wouldn't go to work for any outfit that would have me as an employee".

I wouldn't want to.....

I've barely had a chance to enjoy ER....I need much more of this before I even want to consider working.

I've got 243 days before I ER. So I have no real idea if I could go back to work after 1-5 years of retirement.... but if I did, I certainly could not make close to what I am making now and would not want the kind of job necessary to do so.

Hey, wait just a sec'. I'm happy!

ex-Jarhead said:
Won't suggest "happy", because the only folks I've meant that are truly happy all the time, are institutionalized in the "funny farm".

As much as I would hate it, I would go back to full-time work if I really had to.

It wouldn't be the most depressing day of my life, since there are much worse things one can experience like the death of a family member or a terminal or other serious illness, but besides those, it would be the next worse thing I could experience.

tozz said:
Hey, wait just a sec'.  I'm happy!

Tozz: If you're truly happy all the time, make sure you save enough for rehab. ;)

GTM, I think the answer for me (if you mean "Could I apply cold and get hired") is a resounding NO!

I paniced just after ER and got back on as a consultant with my former employer (read, cronies).

But I also sent out 10 resumes just a few weeks ago.  Had every credential and level of experience required for the jobs.  Some sounded like they were written for me.

NOT A SINGLE CONTACT.  Only form replies.

I'll bet Unclemick2 can vouch, in the industry we were in, if there was a major new contract and staffing was short, people from outside were hired. Boeing, Grumman, Hughes etc would layoff thousands in one day.

But in year to year business, all job reqs were phony pieces of crap to please Uncle Sam's regulations.  Job reqs were written for the PRE-Selected candidate. NEED NOT APPLY.

GTM said:
Would you be able to find a job that pays near what you used to earn prior to ER?

There was a window in which I could, but I think that window is about one year. Now my skills are rusty and my network is stale. There's always the option of starting (or buying) another business, though.

When I cut the cord, I made the decision to walk away from a big pile of future earnings and to become somewhat unemployable. Those are probably the toughest decisions to make in deciding to ER.

OldAgePensioner said:
GTM, I think the answer for me (if you mean "Could I apply cold and get hired") is a resounding NO!

I think that is the situation for most. If we could just quit our jobs and be assured of getting a comparable job in the future if we needed to
Quitting would be a no brainer for alot of people.

I think I could do whatever I had to do. I could shovel goat poop if my or my family's security depended on it. :D :D :D

I think most of the posters on this board would do the same if somehow the safety and security of their family depended on it.

Right now, I know that I wouldn't have to shovel goat poop to gain income. I am still very employable and am contacted with job offers at least once a month. Because I actually enjoy engineering, I am still serving as a volunteer in professional activities and have two books scheduled to be published in the next year. This won't make me a lot of money, but it will keep me employable for several years. After that, who knows? :confused:

Just got kick out of my job several months ago and the answer is NO NO NO!

Since I'm single and fancyfree, I could easily begin LWWBYM or
move to an even cheaper location, or
start panhandling, or
begin the life of a hobo like the Buddy Ebsen character visiting Mayberry, or
meetup with one of the single female ER members on this forum, and finally
become a gigolo in Florida, Arizona and other retirement location magnets.

You do what you gotta do. :D :D ;) ;) :) :)

MJ,
Gigolo on cruise ships. The cruise lines pay men to travel as dance partners. The single older women onboard have killed off a husband or two so be careful. Pace yourself :D

OldAgePensioner said:
MJ,
Gigolo on cruise ships.  The cruise lines pay men to travel as dance partners.  :D

This would only work if you were not employed by the cruise line. They have pretty strict rules on horizontal dancing with the paying guests. If you go on your own, then you can do what you want. Wait for a good last minute deal and then go for it. Just make sure it is not a gay cruise....unless that floats your boat.

OldAgePensioner said:
MJ,
Gigolo on cruise ships. The cruise lines pay men to travel as dance partners. The single older women onboard have killed off a husband or two so be careful. Pace yourself :D

OAP, you have been watching the movies again, The Odd Couple Walter and Jack played dance partners looking for rich women in "Out to Sea". "Handsome" Walter seems to always get paired with older sex goddesses. Dyan Cannon was pretty hot for a 60 year old. Plastic surgery does wonders. :D

SteveR said:
Just make sure it is not a gay cruise....unless that floats your boat.

Like I said, you do what you gotta do. Wink ;) Wink ;) . :LOL: :LOL: :D :D

It took me a year to adjust. Adjustment was slow, but I get better every day. I am content. I could go back, if necessary, but would hate it. I know, never say never, but, let's try..... ne... nev.. neve. Whew! This is tough. Back to the wine. ;)

Zipper,

Short and succinct -- you expressed my view exactly!

Robert

Back
Top Bottom