Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Couple retires in Spain and lives comfortably on $2000 per month.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Couple retires in Spain and lives comfortably on $2000 per month.

It's not too surprising that they picked Spain. Many people from Switzerland that we know have retired in Spain as it is too expensive in Switzerland for many. Some interesting comments on healthcare in Spain and the low cost of private insurance.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...nth-2019-10-17
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

If they were here, on $2K a month, they would get free healthcare in MN and many other states.

Quote:
“Any time we need something now we go to see the doctor, we get in in a day or two,” he adds, noting that “our doctor is Dutch and speaks five languages — cool guy, too.” Some expats may be able to qualify for the free state health-care system in Spain (here are the guidelines); expats who don’t qualify for that — or who want to forgo the sometimes long waits that come with the public system — can buy private insurance to cover themselves.

The Bryants are so pleased with the low cost and quality of health care in Spain that they say it’s a major reason they’ll never leave. “Health care is the thing that will keep us from going back to the U.S. We can afford to grow old gracefully and see doctors here. It will not break us.” He adds: “As things stand, and as I see them standing into the future, health care costs in the U.S. completely preclude our ever returning to live there. It would be wonderful to have the option, but we don’t.”
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We were certainly impressed with the (private) hospital I spent three days in in Malaga this time last year.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If they were here, on $2K a month, they would get free healthcare in MN and many other states.
And if they lowered it by $200 they would get $400 per month food stamps.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
And if they lowered it by $200 they would get $400 per month food stamps.
Exactly. And if they were from Spain, living here in the USA, they would not have this Visa issue.

Quote:
Now they must get their visas renewed to stay in Spain, and Kevin says it has been “a real hassle,” adding that: “We eventually had to hire a lawyer and our case is in progress. Given another chance, I’d hire the lawyer straight off and let them do all the work.” Here is an overview of getting visas to stay in Spain.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #6

Under their circumstances, this couple made a wise lifestyle changes. They eliminated their financial stress. The weather is pretty nice there. Because they chose to use public transportation versus driving a car, they will become more fit. The food is much better and more healthy in Spain than many states. With regional airlines like Easyjet, they can fly to many destinations in Europe and North Africa for little money. Many villages in Italy that are slowly disappearing are trying attract foreigners to keep their villages populated. Spain has the same issue. Spanish is an easy language to learn, they will become completely fluent in a few years if they make an effort to learn which is what they are doing.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We were certainly impressed with the (private) hospital I spent three days in in Malaga this time last year.
Malaga is very nice... I think its growing like crazy though.
lordjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
Malaga is very nice... I think its growing like crazy though.
Yeah...I was first there 56 years ago.....big change since then.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Nice article.
They get to retire earlier than what they could probably achieve in the USA.
Not seeing family much could be tough for some, especially if one has grand kids.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I looked at their budget and their activities and they are spending quite a bit more than we do in the USA at near the same ages.

Their apartment: $665
Our apartment: $525

Their electricity: $82
Our electricity: $57

Their water: $33
Our water: $0

Their phone: $44
Our phone: $40 (Visible wireless cell with unlimited internet and tethering)

Their internet: $33
Our internet: $0 (included in cell phone plan)

Their health insurance: $130
Our health insurance: $89 ($910 subsidy for silver plan with cost sharing and max $250 per year oop)

Their food: $490
Our food: about the same.

We have other expenses by choice, like a car but it is not needed where we live. There is a great bus system and the library is across the street, city hall is 3 blocks away, Safeway is 5 blocks away, Wal-Mart is about 1 mile away. Costco is 60 miles away, quite a drive, but how close do they live to Costco?

I mean if you want to be in Spain, be in Spain, but you can live cheaper in the USA with good healthcare.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I mean if you want to be in Spain, be in Spain, but you can live cheaper in the USA with good healthcare.
Not to mention all the protections you have here in the USA with banking laws, criminal laws, consumer protection laws, labor laws, etc. Mail is delivered here with almost a 100% success rate in 4 days or less.
Dont forget amazon
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Dont forget amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Not to mention all the protections you have here in the USA with banking laws, criminal laws, consumer protection laws, labor laws, etc. Mail is delivered here with almost a 100% success rate in 4 days or less.
And Amazon 2 day delivery. 1 day in a lot of cases!!!
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Their apartment: $665
Our apartment: $525
Wow! Really surprises me that you can get a decent apartment in Seattle for $525/month
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #14

I guess it depends on your situation and where you live. For two of us, we pay $962 per month for a bronze PPO plan with a maximum $7800 OOP per person and $6800 deductible per person. Prescription drugs are covered only after you hit your deductible. No subsidies for us. Fortunately we are both pretty healthy, stay in shape, and only use our doctors for the annual preventive checkups covered by insurance. I don't know of too many coastal cities in the US like where they are living in Spain with the weather they have with the expenses they have. It's also about location and lifestyle. This couple was from Texas and I'm sure they were looking for locations with mild weather.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If I were in their position I would do exactly the same. Good for them for choosing a better, and I have no doubt, a healthier lifestyle for themselves.

Always so good to see people proactively making changes in their lives rather than doing nothing, complaining, and moaning.

Why on earth would they even consider something like food stamps when they ca relocate and have the retirement that they dreamed of? In our travels we have met an increasing number of early retiree expats who have done the same for the identical reasons.

Smart move.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #16

From the article:

"The cons: The hardest thing for both Kevin and Susan has been missing their family stateside."

For us that's the biggest factor in (not) moving far. We're in the same approx ages as the article couple, but both have parents in their 70's so we don't want to be far away, don't think our parents would like that either. I also have my sister and her family nearby which I enjoy.

Also pets!

If you're otherwise un-anchored, I could see doing this sort of thing on a short term basis here and there.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

If you do Facebook you can watch his videos at his user name Texpatliving (looks like mostly videos). I loved Spain when we visited last fall so researched him a bit. Quite different than Austin, I imagine.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The world is becoming a much smaller place. The internet has opened people’s eyes and minds to formerly unheard of posibilities.

I suspect that as the cost of healthcare continues to increase at 2X, 3X, and perhaps more times the rate of inflation we will see early retirees in their mid and late 50’s making the exact same lifestyle decisions. For some it may be the only way they can afford early retirement and jumping off the treadmill.

Who can fault them for wanting a better retirement lifestyle than they might otherwise have?
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I used to dream of spending some years of retirement in Provence, or in Malta. It was not for cost reasons, but to experience a different environment and lifestyle for a while.

But then, after doing more travel, doing Airbnb and staying in smaller towns in the countryside in Europe, I discovered that I preferred my own homes now. I have lots of space for my electronic hobby, and my wife has the yard to do her gardening. Leaving behind family is not something we want to do either.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Our apartment is in the mountains of Washington state, not on the coast, although the coastal towns of Washington ARE really cheap. I am not talking about the Puget Sound but the actual Pacific Ocean coast. In Ocean Shores, Westport, or even that sparkly vampire area Forks.

On the east coast you can get a cheap apartment in the Florida panhandle in Carabelle or Apalachicola. Heck, we rented a 3 bedroom vacation home on a private lake 5 blocks from the beach for $1600 a month in Carabelle and that was vacation rental prices, not long term lease prices.

I am sure there are cities in Spain that have high rents just as there are places in the USA with high rents.

It has been shown that healthcare in the USA can be as cheap or cheaper than Spain.

So really it is all about where do you want to live, not so much about how this place is cheaper than that place. If you want to retire in the USA, there are plenty of areas where you can do it cheaper than most of the other first world countries.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote