Coupling up again in retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
While working on Wall Street, but nowhere near that 2m yearly income, I did see the wealthier mostly men who were divorced have no issues on the dating scene and typically the 50 year olds were with 30 something year old females of which some had children and some did not.
Some men in this category who are more married to their careers might not mind the whole children setting, as long they ended up getting what they want, whatever that may be.

This is exactly whats going on. I think some don't like hearing it.

As far as the 99% comment upthread, this is true for the 20's and 30 year olds. Ask the women that age how men react when they find out that she has kids. I know I've discussed the topic with several hundred. 99% of guys bail immediately or as Dtail mentioned, get what they want and then bail. The belief that men who date women in that age group prefer them to have kids is comical.

If we are talking about retirement age women, I'd say the vast majority of 70 year old men don't care if a woman has kids, if that is what was being disputed. But it's just a guess. I have no idea what's going on in that age group.

And I can only speak for the area I live in. Your hometown may do things differently.

At a very basic level - I found myself thinking about all the things that could make sleeping together problematic for older people.

I don't mean that as a coy phrase for sex. I mean the difficulty of actually getting a good night's sleep with someone who uses a CPAP machine, gets up 4 times a night to use the bathroom, has restless leg syndrome, and all the other things.

Maybe instead of insisting on someone who does, or doesn't have children, only date people who have an extra bedroom?

At a very basic level - I found myself thinking about all the things that could make sleeping together problematic for older people.

I don't mean that as a coy phrase for sex. I mean the difficulty of actually getting a good night's sleep with someone who uses a CPAP machine, gets up 4 times a night to use the bathroom, has restless leg syndrome, and all the other things.

Maybe instead of insisting on someone who does, or doesn't have children, only date people who have an extra bedroom?

Now you're talking. That's a serious subject. It's one thing if you've been together a long time and are used to each other. With a new person, even a king-size bed may not be enough.

I'm sure separate bedrooms is more common than some people let on. One of my good friends and his wife have been sleeping in separate bedrooms for most of their 3 decade marriage because she snores, apparently very loudly.

I snore and GF has restless leg...so far neither one are an issue.

Amethyst - you are correct. My gaydar was way off and she was in fect lesbian and only married me to have children. For some bizarre reason she thought I must be gay. I am far from it. Perhaps, it was because I danced ballet a majority of my life and she and I danced together after marriage in a city Ballet Company (which I became the managing director of until I got deployed). Not all ballet dancers are gay although most are. Ballet was actually a good way to meet beautiful women although IMHO ballerinas are messed up mentally (my ex included). She only, after menopause, "came out". Not entirely certain why. She also was pitching this polygamous love concept as well. I had enough and got out with my sanity still intact. My children less so. It was hard for me to swallow my daughter's graduate film production featuring her mother as the victim. Needless to say my interview was not included. That child still considers me the culprit in the marriage although it was her mother who had cheated during the entire marriage so somehow that was my fault. Jeesh!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom