Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A buddy of mine who is a descent dancer once told me that dancing is the only activity left where a man can approach a woman he may not even know, put his arms around her, tell her what to do, when he wants her to do it, and she is perfectly happy to comply.
And he can go on his merry way when he's done with her, no apologies or excuses necessary!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've seen this situation many times. Seems to be more ladies looking for a man than the other way around.

And they're all looking for a NICE people with no strings attached. At least for awhile.

My friend in North Dallas that divorced in his early 60's says there's certainly no shortage of eligible women there. He's having a ball.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #23

There is a bad joke about a man in a +55 community finding 3 casseroles on his porch.

I never had that experience, but one time when we were seeing each other, she gave me the leftover dressing from Thanksgiving. It was delicious! She is a keeper
We just celebrated our 13th anniversary
Old 11-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Some of them marry again. Some of them just shack up together. There's also some who just go back and forth between each other's home in their golf carts.
For many recently single geezer-guys, finding a way to stay single long enough to realize they don't need to marry in order to be in a great relationship(s) is key. Many have an urge to replace DW with another bride ASAP and do so before acclimating to a new life and understanding the choices they have.

I haven't bothered to research the official statistics (if they exist), but 4 guys we know who became single late in life have gone the stay single path (although 3 have SO's). Perhaps it's a trend these days?
Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

My Mom died when my Dad was 80. They were living in a CCRC. About a year later, an 81-year-old widow moved in to the place and they're now a happy couple. Marriage is off the table for multiple reasons I think, but they live in the same building and spend a lot of time together, travel together, etc.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A buddy of mine who is a descent dancer once told me that dancing is the only activity left where a man can approach a woman he may not even know, put his arms around her, tell her what to do, when he wants her to do it, and she is perfectly happy to comply.
Good point.

But is it true he only dances downhill? Good balance I guess.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

These dancing jokes are very very bad. I regret bringing up dancing on this thread, my apologies.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I believe that people need to find happiness where they can.

Our 79 year old neighbor just had her 79 year old gentleman friend move in. They are both very happy and well suited to each other.

Both of them had lost their spouses several years ago after long, successful marriages.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Still married after 42 years, but if something happened to DW I can't imagine ever hooking up with another woman. I know many people don't feel the same, and I guess you never know what will come over time. But I suspect if left on my own I would become somewhat hermit-like. I'd have DD and the grandkids, but I suspect that would be more than enough company for me. Hopefully I'll never have to find out if I'm right.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #30
Administrator

I prefer the company of women in general, so I expect I would eventually have a new relationship. But remarriage would be unlikely. But, as Harley says, I hope never to find out.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
For many recently single geezer-guys, finding a way to stay single long enough to realize they don't need to marry in order to be in a great relationship(s) is key. Many have an urge to replace DW with another bride ASAP and do so before acclimating to a new life and understanding the choices they have.

I haven't bothered to research the official statistics (if they exist), but 4 guys we know who became single late in life have gone the stay single path (although 3 have SO's). Perhaps it's a trend these days?

I know a number of women who having been married for many decades who do not want the be hitched to any man at this point. Often they spent years taking care of man who was slowly declining in health. Sometimes the guy was just irresponsible. Sometimes they already have two or more divorces in their life and don't want to risk the stress of a third. Some just had a loveless marriage but were scared of divorce. One lady I dated for a short time was in that position. As, she put it , "Unlike divorce I got to keep it all. Why put what I waited so long for at risk?" I had to agree with her.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #32

If DH were to go first, which is unlikely, I would not remarry. Nor would I allow a gentleman friend to move in with me.

I would, however, be forced to hire someone to kill bugs.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
That is interesting ^. I would of thought there were more women then men through all ages of life.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I thought that the probability of a male offspring was slightly higher than female. Then though life the males get reduced at a faster rate.

OK, I did a search: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...20100%20girls.

ETA:As a 60-65 year old single male, I find myself strangely attracted to this thread.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

My former roommate, late 70s, cared for her husband through his last days. After he passed her former husband asked her to come back to him. My friend told me that caring for one husband through the end of life was enough. She declined the invitation. He too has since passed.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Men typically remarry within a couple years. This includes the men not worth having. Be picky. Your ex wont be as lucky probably.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #36

The father of a friend of mine lived in senior housing after his wife died. He'd find a girlfriend in the community, and after a bit, she'd die. Not unexpected in one's 80s. He had 3 or 4 such girlfriends before he passed away in his mid-90s. It sounded sort of sad.

omni
Old 11-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wholeheartedly agree and I think the statistics support this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
No, I'm saying a woman after 60 has a much much harder time finding a new partner than a man does.

The "of means" part applies to either scenario for someone who is ER'd and asking on this forum.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
A 60 yo man with good assets? The world is your oyster when you are ready. Just let a few friends know to tell their wives, and give them a list of some qualities you are looking for. Your calendar should fill up quite quickly. But I emphasize when you are ready. That means not feeling the need to talk about your ex on dates, and doing a little work to find out what happened there.

A 60 yo woman with good assets? That's another story entirely...
Correct.

I'm 58 and am living the dream. Males in my area have it made.

Current GF is 41. She's a MD. She has oodles of pals 38-41, many I have met, who are attractive, moderately fit, and make 370k to 440k. And not only have never been married, they never seem to have a BF.

My observation is that they will go from 40yo's with good assets to 60 yo's with greater assets. I think they may have regrets down the road.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My first marriage lasted 44+ years,,,,,,, so far.... Honestly, I just can't see ever getting married again and I hope I never have the opportunity to be proven wrong...
Old 11-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My mother outlived 3 husbands (the first--my father-- died of lung cancer, the second died of a heart attack, the third died at age 90 of leukemia). All 3 husbands were several years older than my mother. Now at 89 my mother has a man friend but she says she won't marry him--she is tired of taking care of old men!!
Closed Thread