- under 30 minutes to a good grocery store
- under 1 hour to major airport
- Under 1 hour to a good hospital
- Near good restaurants
- Near public horse riding trails
- No neighbors (not in a neighborhood)
- Land for horses
- Area my DW was comfortable with

Have the land purchased, construction begins in 2024.
Sniggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Local politics can change with demographic trends...think of all those blue state refugees that moved to red states to lower their cost of living but now are trying to introduce 'bluer' laws locally.
Although there are clear majorities in many states, IME you can find red or blue areas in any state. In general, large urban areas tend blue even in red states, and rural areas tend red even in blue states. So you can choose your (political) neighbors to a large degree.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks to all for comments. Some of what’s been mentioned I’ve already considered, but some I hadn’t thought of (for instance, proximity to an airport).

Slightly amused by the suggestion of political climate. Not that I disagree - it is something to evaluate - but I’ve found it challenging to consider. The locations I’m considering are (somewhat) mixed: one votes blue more than red, but currently has a red Governor, the other votes red more than blue but currently has a blue Governor. Just hard to get your arms around it unless it’s completely obvious!

I welcome continued comments!
jrcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #24

What do you like to do? If you're a hiker, florida is out, vs if the beach and water is your thing, it's in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Sushi Bars.
I know a lot might think this is a bit flippant, but DH and I love sushi and would not want to live somewhere without a very good restaurant nearby.

My local publix has closed for renovations this past year, and I cannot believe how annoying it is to travel 15 minutes when I run out of something vs. 5!

I like access to a variety of local parks, wetland areas, for walking and running.

It's the little things. I could not care less about the politics, and it would be helpful to this thread's survival if others dropped that as well....
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised to not see anything about physical and geographic danger. I would screen out earthquake zones, hurricane zones, lowlands vulnerable to sea level rise, significant wildland fire risk, vulnerability to drought/anywhere where water is imported from long distance, etc. Two reasons: If I am relocating I do not want the risk of forced relocation a second time due to a disaster. Also there is financial risk to owning property where a disaster is in recent memory and/or as insurance companies and FEMA may reduce support.

Danger would be my first screen before moving on to the quality of life factors being discussed here. I saw in person what the 2004 tsunami did in India and what Hurricane Michael did in Florida in 2018. News stories cannot begin to communicate the devastation.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hadn't thought to actually vocalize those items but yes I'll never live in hurricane alley. After the tsunamis I won't live right on the water either. We did look at some high and medium bank properties but they were too difficult to develop.
our situation is 1 mi from the center of town and the Safeway store.
less than a mile and a half to Costco or home Depot.
about 25 minutes to a reasonable hospital.
less than a mile and a half to 100 mi. of the Olympic Discovery trail. I'm a bike guy so that is going to factor in heavily. I can ride to the store ride to Costco with a cargo bike and in general work on my cardio while doing daily things. I was found it easier to ride often if there was some purpose to it.
we're about 40 minutes from three different ferry terminals going to both Canada and the Seattle area and north.
The only shortcoming off of other people's lists is we're not within an hour of SeaTac and that is something I am gladly leaving behind.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I'm surprised to not see anything about physical and geographic danger. I would screen out earthquake zones, hurricane zones, lowlands vulnerable to sea level rise, significant wildland fire risk, vulnerability to drought/anywhere where water is imported from long distance, etc.
We included that, but you’re right to add it. We wanted to live on the east coast and could afford to, but we’re several hours inland solely because of the threat of hurricanes. Insured or not, the disruption has to be awful…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Danger/risk is definitely something to consider, and I concur that not living in an earthquake zone, hurricane zone, or desert always makes good sense. Also, never living on River Road or any area prone to flooding....I like to see the land falling away in all directions from my home.

Safety is also why I like to be a bit away from any large towns or cities....a good buffer zone between the crazies and me (less crazy), and the ability to establish good fields of fire in case of the zombie apocalypse.
Sniggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Great conversation. Currently my unranked list of criteria is

Climate (short and longer term)
Vibrant area (mostly economy but also includes some measure of attitude)
Affordability (M to HCOL is ok but we are moving from a LCOL area so real estate prices are a big factor)

The last few years living in Seoul have made me realize how much I enjoy things that I didn't have in the suburban US; life with good public transit and easy access to tons of different day hiking. I have a landing place in the US when I retire and leave Seoul but I'm really starting to ramp up a search to see if there is anyplace that can replicate some of the things I love about Seoul and meet the three biggies listed at first.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I'm surprised to not see anything about physical and geographic danger. I would screen out earthquake zones, hurricane zones, lowlands vulnerable to sea level rise, significant wildland fire risk, vulnerability to drought/anywhere where water is imported from long distance, etc. .
While I tend not to use the word danger I agree with your idea especially sea level rise, wildfire risk, and vulnerability to drought. I'm also looking to move to areas that are projected to still have comfortable climates in 20+ years.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Google "volcano ring of fire" for some retirement options.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcunniff View Post
* Proximity to friends and family
* Financials & Cost of Living (home price, future costs, taxes, etc.)
* Climate
* Familiarity with surrounding area
The first 5 years of ER I stayed put where I had spent my entire working adult life. I was near friends and family. Near everything familiar. Located in the suburbs in a place many people consider physically beautiful (the San Francisco Bay Area). Then I visited a friend who had just retired and moved to Bangkok, Thailand. One year later I moved to Bangkok and completely changed my life - for the better (for me). I moved to a big modern city. I no longer own a house and car. I am loving the warm climate and a different culture. I always though my goal was the familiar, comfort, and security. Sometimes change is good.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though some things fall into personal preference, I do agree on the universal nature of health care. Access to good health care gets increasingly important. Support services for aging in place can extend your ability to stay independent.

I'd also agree on access to a decent airport.

I'd agree on safety issues being noteworthy if you are at risk of an extreme swing -- things like more severe weather events, etc

Rather than a vibrant economic area I'd prefer something stable yet growing. Vibrant can quickly lead to inflated, crowded and increasingly expensive.

On the more personal criteria, I find access to good, healthy food and a variety of high quality options important for myself. I also need variety in the surrounding area (not too isolated) and access to amenities.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:27 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We chose Roanoke Virginia for several reasons:
My wife grew up here
We both love the mountains
We both love some seasons, but not too cold
It is close to our alma mater and we enjoy visiting and football games
COL is medium and much cheaper than the Washington DC area we left
It is a good size city with a good restaurant scene and cultural events
Its a few hours to DC area or the beach
Traffic is gloriously easy here
rwdflynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

While I can understand wanting to avoid hurricane or flood prone areas, one of the lowest criteria on my list would be predictions of future weather. I'm still waiting for the ice age they predicted 50 years ago and the disappearance of winter.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote