Criteria For Choosing Retirement Location

jrcunniff

Dryer sheet aficionado
I’ve started to look at properties for my retirement… I’ve narrowed my location down to two areas. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in both areas over the years, so I think I would enjoy both, but going back and forth on which is “the one”.

I’m wondering what criteria you may have used (or wished you used) when faced with a similar decision. The main criteria I’ve considered are:
* Proximity to friends and family
* Financials & Cost of Living (home price, future costs, taxes, etc.)
* Climate
* Familiarity with surrounding area

Just wondering if there’s something else I should include in my evaluation that I’m overlooking…

I agree with those 4 criteria. I would add population density/traffic. Big deal to me but not everyone. I like less crowded places.

I think proximity to family, especially kids, is a biggie.

You probably already applied this screen getting down to your two choices, but in addition to climate the character of the area is important. Urban/suburban/rural, major water features (coast/lake/river), elevation, etc.

We went for where we would like to live if we were in our twenties with no obligations. Kids do move, familiarity with surroundings sounds boring (to us) - nothing to explore. We chose Denver - skiing, biking, climate, friendly folk, music; checked all our boxes

I agree with the criteria you mention, but I'd also consider access to certain resources including healthcare and entertainment options (including outdoor activities).

Sushi Bars.

I think the list changes over time. The orders of importance change too.
We have not lived out of this state and besides Hawaii, we have not given it much thought.
This checks the "close to friends and family box".
The interesting thing is my family is all but abandoning the old digs and moving towards Seattle and HCOL. We have never wanted to be around that many people.
From there we went to climate.
Between that and reasonable access to services we ended up where we are going.
For us the COL was pretty low on the decision matrix, because cheap and in state meant crappy climate and services.

I moved to Reno 25 years ago for a job with the state. I love it here and wouldn’t move. I have a big group of friends. One of my sons lives here. I wouldn’t follow my kids as young people sometimes need to move for jobs.

Live in a rural valley in the Sierra Nevada foothills in Northern CA. Love being outside, rain or shine, and this location checks that box all year long. And Mom, FIL, brother & SIL live within 1/2 hour drive so our home is always the place for family gatherings.

Yes the Republic of CA is a HCOL area, but have lived here forever so property taxes are relatively low thanks to Prop 13 and get some additional tax relief from the acreage of citrus trees under cultivation.

Only bummer is the kids have moved away; Reno, Wisconsin and Ohio. Have been hanging on to a nice little rental nearby in hopes that I can lure a kid back to the State with free housing.

Thought about moving when we retired last year, but we have it very good here.

What location to choose for retirement is such a personal choice. My criteria may have priorities much different than yours but would include: quality and number of medical facilities, proximity to military bases, proximity to water (ocean and lakes), small town near larger city, variety of outdoor activities, near an international airport, warm weather, variety of entertainment options, low cost of living, no state income tax, among others.

Cheers!

In addition to the already mentioned criteria, the political climate in the area matters to us. Ours is fairly mixed, which is fine.

I think the list changes over time. The orders of importance change too.
We have not lived out of this state and besides Hawaii, we have not given it much thought.
This checks the "close to friends and family box".
The interesting thing is my family is all but abandoning the old digs and moving towards Seattle and HCOL. We have never wanted to be around that many people.
From there we went to climate.
Between that and reasonable access to services we ended up where we are going.
For us the COL was pretty low on the decision matrix, because cheap and in state meant crappy climate and services.

Skyking1,

Love Wash state but seldom hear folks from Seattle bragging about their weather. You must be in a rain shadow?

Not meaning to say you were bragging, it's just an expression.

:)

Last edited:
One thing that was important to me, maybe not you, is political issues. I lived for many years in an area that was counter to my beliefs after moving to an area that reflects some of my thoughts is better for me. YMMV.

Obviously the list is going to vary for each of us (below in no particular order):
  • Financials & Cost of Living (home price, future costs, taxes, etc.)
  • Climate
  • Doctors, hospitals, health care
  • Vibrant local economy
  • Low crime
  • Easy driving distance to ocean
  • Easy driving distance to mountains
  • Near a large metro area, but not in it
  • Near a large lake
  • Arts, culture, major sports & concerts
  • Restaurants
  • Golf
Just one of many good online resources https://www.bestplaces.net

Last edited:
Obviously the list is going to vary for each of us (below in no particular order):
  • Financials & Cost of Living (home price, future costs, taxes, etc.)
  • Climate
  • Doctors, hospitals, health care
  • Vibrant local economy
  • Low crime
  • Easy driving distance to ocean
  • Easy driving distance to mountains
  • Near a large metro area, but not in it
  • Near a large lake
  • Arts, culture, major sports & concerts
  • Restaurants
  • Golf
Just one of many good online resources https://www.bestplaces.net

This is a good list. Some here who travel more than we do, might want to add "Proximity to a major airport".

And then, there's another one and this is hard to pin down - - I'd call it the "Feels like home" factor.

As others have mentioned above, an important criterion might be "Close to family", for some people anyway.

MRG's criterion of political leanings can be important, and another one is religion.

Using such a list of criteria, it helps to weigh each according to your own personal desires in a retirement location. Even with the same criteria people can come up with very different ideas of where to live.

We did an extensive search from 2005-2010, based on a similar list of criteria. We identified our top three choices and visited each several times, and decided Springfield, Missouri was pretty nice. But then at the last minute, Frank said his gut instincts were telling him not to move away from New Orleans. Maybe that was because his family has been here for 6+ generations, although he does not think that has anything to do with it. Anyway my gut instincts were telling me to stay wherever Frank was, "whither thou goest, I will go". We stayed in New Orleans, and we are very happy here.

A lot of good things here. A big one missing from OP's list is nearby recreation--skiing and hiking for me, might be a lake, river or ocean for those who like water sports, etc. Recreation might not be a factor for many, but maybe entertainment (theater, concert venue, etc) is another.
And then, there's another one and this is hard to pin down - - I'd call it the "Feels like home" factor.
Totally agree. Once you've narrowed down the list you really need to go check it out, and think like a local, not a tourist.

One thing that was important to me, maybe not you, is political issues. I lived for many years in an area that was counter to my beliefs after moving to an area that reflects some of my thoughts is better for me. YMMV.

Agree this can make or break your happiness in a location.

The OP's original 4 criteria were also in DW and my consideration of where to move and live in retirement.

Local politics can change with demographic trends...think of all those blue state refugees that moved to red states to lower their cost of living but now are trying to introduce 'bluer' laws locally.

- under 30 minutes to a good grocery store
- under 1 hour to major airport
- Under 1 hour to a good hospital
- Near good restaurants
- Near public horse riding trails
- No neighbors (not in a neighborhood)
- Land for horses
- Area my DW was comfortable with

Have the land purchased, construction begins in 2024.

Local politics can change with demographic trends...think of all those blue state refugees that moved to red states to lower their cost of living but now are trying to introduce 'bluer' laws locally.
Although there are clear majorities in many states, IME you can find red or blue areas in any state. In general, large urban areas tend blue even in red states, and rural areas tend red even in blue states. So you can choose your (political) neighbors to a large degree.

Thanks to all for comments. Some of what’s been mentioned I’ve already considered, but some I hadn’t thought of (for instance, proximity to an airport).

Slightly amused by the suggestion of political climate. Not that I disagree - it is something to evaluate - but I’ve found it challenging to consider. The locations I’m considering are (somewhat) mixed: one votes blue more than red, but currently has a red Governor, the other votes red more than blue but currently has a blue Governor. Just hard to get your arms around it unless it’s completely obvious!

I welcome continued comments!

What do you like to do? If you're a hiker, florida is out, vs if the beach and water is your thing, it's in.

Sushi Bars.

I know a lot might think this is a bit flippant, but DH and I love sushi and would not want to live somewhere without a very good restaurant nearby.

My local publix has closed for renovations this past year, and I cannot believe how annoying it is to travel 15 minutes when I run out of something vs. 5!

I like access to a variety of local parks, wetland areas, for walking and running.

It's the little things. I could not care less about the politics, and it would be helpful to this thread's survival if others dropped that as well....

I'm surprised to not see anything about physical and geographic danger. I would screen out earthquake zones, hurricane zones, lowlands vulnerable to sea level rise, significant wildland fire risk, vulnerability to drought/anywhere where water is imported from long distance, etc. Two reasons: If I am relocating I do not want the risk of forced relocation a second time due to a disaster. Also there is financial risk to owning property where a disaster is in recent memory and/or as insurance companies and FEMA may reduce support.

Danger would be my first screen before moving on to the quality of life factors being discussed here. I saw in person what the 2004 tsunami did in India and what Hurricane Michael did in Florida in 2018. News stories cannot begin to communicate the devastation.

Back
Top Bottom