Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hurried my third guess. Should have played out the permutations a bit more.

Wordle 012122.jpg

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I’m happy to say I’ve done it 5, 4 and 3 rows these last 3 days. Fun game, I’m enjoying it.

Now… when the day comes (and it surely will), when I don’t get it in 6 tries, will it tell me what it is? Or just leave me wondering…
I tried it in a private window - it gives the answer at the end.

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Here's a challenge idea. Start with the previous day's answer. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I like the RB Challenge idea, to start with the previous day's word! I don't think I'm brave enough for that approach, though.
I like the idea, too, but that would require my remembering yesterday's word each day!

Oddly enough, I chose a kinda random starting word today. Later, I decided I wanted even more Wordle in my life, and played a couple of games on a copycat site. One of the words turned out to be the random starting word I used on Wordle proper.
<Cue Twighlight Zone music >
Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I’m happy to say I’ve done it 5, 4 and 3 rows these last 3 days. Fun game, I’m enjoying it.

Now… when the day comes (and it surely will), when I don’t get it in 6 tries, will it tell me what it is? Or just leave me wondering…
If you don't get the word in 6 tries it will tell you the word at the top--don't ask me how I know
Old 01-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #165

Got it in 3 today, my best so far. I don't have the game in "Hard" mode, but that is the way I have been playing.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #166

<Mod Note>

Just a reminder...ANYTHING that might even remotely hint at being a spoiler will be deleted from posts. Anything that might plant a seed to lean someone one way or the other...poof! Let everyone enjoy playing from a blank slate.

Of course, yes, I highly recommend we all avoid this thread each day until you have completed the game! But since many people are still new to this thread and the game, let's not be even a little coy about how we came up with the answers!
Old 01-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #167

I got today's word in 5 guesses. Guess number 4 was off by only one letter.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
... I highly recommend we all avoid this thread each day until you have completed the game! But since many people are still new to this thread and the game, let's not be even a little coy about how we came up with the answers!
I avoid the thread until after I'm done. Safest bet. Never a dipthong disclosure (hehe, I said "dipthong").
Old 01-21-2022, 03:12 PM   #169

Fun game, but I seem to be doing worse every day. I got it in 3 tries day one, then 4 tries day two and five tries today. I think that I need to get to bed earlier tonight.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
That's quite a leap from 3rd try to 4th try. Nicely done.
Thanks! I was a bit surprised, but if you'd used the first three words I'd used, you'd have gotten it...lots of letters had been eliminated.

BTW, I think everyone knows, but if you want to run alternatives after the fact, you can open a private window and run it from scratch.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
A few days ago I read about this new game. It is a word game that is very easy to understand. There is only one game a day and it takes only a few minutes. No advertising and no sign up. Just play it. I don't usually play this sort of thing but it is fun and you cannot become an addict as you only get one game a day. There is a fun article about the author here and the rules: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...thousands.html

I play it on my PC. I understand there is an app for phones too. But beware some apps are not the original game of Wordle but rather they are copycats with some downsides (pay, advertising, etc.).

Today's game is here: https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
Yes - I started playing about a week ago! It is fun!
I don't get it
Old 01-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't get it

I don't understand why having to use the clues you uncover is considered "hard mode". That's how you solve the thing.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

I tired it and have no idea what I am doing. I need hints.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I tired it and have no idea what I am doing. I need hints.
How to play Wordle
Old 01-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

I don't like word games. I don't do crosswords, scrabble or sukoku.

I like this game.

One shot per day. Addition and subtraction. A bit of strategy.

I think it is a healthy little thing to try with no pressure. Nice. DW and I do it independently and compare. Today I was a 5, she was a 3. Yesterday I was a 3, and she was a 5. No big deal. All in fun.

And the answer for today is... nah, I won't spoil ya'll.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #177
Confused about dryer sheets

Avoid the apps! Just go to the site. But note that there is a wonderful Wordle archive; it is so much fun!
Old 01-21-2022, 05:03 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRM View Post
I don't understand why having to use the clues you uncover is considered "hard mode". That's how you solve the thing.
In regular mode, each new guess merely needs to be a word.

In hard mode, not only does each new guess need to be a word, it also must contain each yellow letter, and it also must contain each green letter in the correct location.

Thus in hard mode, you have fewer and fewer words to choose from. Which is helpful in one sense - you're choosing a new word from among fewer options, so technically your guess has a better chance of being the final right answer. It's also easier in the sense that the game will not let you make a guess that isn't at least as "right" as the facts that you know so far.

But it's harder in the sense that if your vocabulary isn't vast and the answer hasn't yet occurred to you, it may be harder to think of a word for your next (most likely intermediate) guess at all. It's also harder in that it generally rules out the three-word "GLYPH" approach discussed earlier.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:11 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRM View Post
Suppose you get 3 letters correct, but have no idea what the word might be. In hard mode you only get two more guesses for new letters since you have to use the 3 you found. In "easy" mode you could pick 5 new letters, giving you a greater chance to find them. So you might use your first three guesses trying to find all the letters, then the last three trying to unscramble them and figure out where they go. Is that easier? I dunno.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #180
Administrator

Stroke of luck today - got this one on the second try!

Wordle 216 2/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩