Join Early Retirement Today

Daily WORDLE - please, no spoilers!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Daily WORDLE - please, no spoilers!

A few days ago I read about this new game. It is a word game that is very easy to understand. There is only one game a day and it takes only a few minutes. No advertising and no sign up. Just play it. I don't usually play this sort of thing but it is fun and you cannot become an addict as you only get one game a day. There is a fun article about the author here and the rules: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...thousands.html

I play it on my PC. I understand there is an app for phones too. But beware some apps are not the original game of Wordle but rather they are copycats with some downsides (pay, advertising, etc.).

Today's game is here: https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Purely fun: are you playing WORDLE
Old 01-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Purely fun: are you playing WORDLE

Yes! My son told me about Wordle about a week ago.

Last night's word I got on the 3rd try which surprised me. Right, not a word we use commonly in the USA but knowing that the game is from the UK I went for it.

Here’s my score from last night. I played it on my iPad. When you finish click the SHARE button and it's copied to your clipboard. It didn't paste correctly from my computer, I had to paste from my iPad.

Grrrr.. not pasting correctly!

Wordle 212 3/6
Old 01-17-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Looks like fun
Old 01-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've played it twice. Both times it took me all six tries but I got the word.

What I like about it is that you can only play it once very 24 yours, unless you jump about from one device to another. This makes it hard to waste too much time on it.

It's a nice short diversion for those of us who are currently Covid isolated.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #5

I've never done it, but I heard about it last week.

Here's Jimmy Fallon doing it with the audience. This video can be used as a tutorial...

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #6

My daughter sent a message about this to DW, who is an avid word game person.

The game is similar to a game I coded as one of my very first programming projects: mastermind. I wrote that code on an Apple II C. And I didn't code it as much as type in code from a listing in a magazine.

Anyway, I got it in 4. No hits on the first guess but 2 in the right place, one out of place on 2nd guess. Weird how much progress you can make
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #7

Yeah the paste for scores grid doesn't work here, but yes I'm playing. Yesterday i got it on row 2. Avg is about 3.8. DH and I both play in the mornings. It does US spellings of shared words (color, etc.)

As much as I like to get it quickly, it's actually more fun it it's a nail-biter.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #8

I just learned about it last week, and I'm certainly enjoying it so far.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 1.05.25 PM.png (46.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #9

Sometimes I start and then come back to it. There is no timer or limit. I've even gone to paper and pencil to work it out.

Nice brain teaser/mental exercise game. My son and I have discussed our strategy for what word to start with. Go for vowels? Or common consonants?
Old 01-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

A friend clued me into it. At the time, not knowing anything about the game, I told her that I'd probably give it a miss. I explained that, despite being fairly good with the written word, I always do terribly at word games. Oddly, I nearly always lose badly at Scrabble - even to people for whom English is a second language, and who have more limited vocabularies than me. She urged me to try it anyway. This morning, I did, and quite enjoyed it. I think this will become part of my morning routine.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #11

I just watched the video. I'll check it out. I was a news story last week about how multiple apps on the Google and Apple app stores are copying its functionality exactly and making money off it while the free site suffers. I hate that.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I also got that word today. So that means that everybody is getting the same word.
Now the question is - when does a "day" start.

There are strategies like starting with mostly vowels or with words made from popular letters.
Is it OK to discuss strategies or shall we keep spoilers off this thread ?
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
I also got that word today. So that means that everybody is getting the same word.

There are strategies like starting with mostly vowels or with words made from popular letters.
The only thing I would not do is give away the answer for today. I did read about a good starter word but hesitate to offer it up because I don't want to ruin someone's fun. Clearly a good starter word would have more then one vowel in it.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #14

Quote:
It didn't initially occur to me that this would be a word that is a more common part of the lexicon in the UK than the US, but you're right. However, a friend in Florida and her daughter both got it in 3 tries. They are American, so perhaps the UK/US divide in this game is not such a setback after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The only thing I would not do is give away the answer for today. I did read about a good starter word but hesitate to offer it up because I don't want to ruin someone's fun. Clearly a good starter word would have more then one vowel in it.
Yes, that's part of the fun, coming up with your own starter word.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:

The “day” starts at midnight for your local time. My son follows a lot of British folks on Twitter so he’s reading their tweets after they have solved it. No one gives it away, just make comments.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:18 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
A friend clued me into it. At the time, not knowing anything about the game, I told her that I'd probably give it a miss. I explained that, despite being fairly good with the written word, I always do terribly at word games. Oddly, I nearly always lose badly at Scrabble - even to people for whom English is a second language, and who have more limited vocabularies than me. She urged me to try it anyway. This morning, I did, and quite enjoyed it. I think this will become part of my morning routine.
Games are suppose to be fun. But unfortunately they can become very competitive. Even just playing solo can be competitive if one hears that a good player did it in X minutes or did it in Y tries. The competition is in comparing our performance to others. I am trying to get away from that sort of thing but it is really hard in our society and definitely for me. I don't like to lose. ... ...

I played a lot of online chess last year and found that the game was highly competitive and so many players are really good and move very fast. I played against players from all over the world. I've played against players that had played thousands of games on Lichess (free online chess). And one cannot get away from having a rating in online chess. So I've backed off from online chess, maybe permanently.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #17

I have been playing Wordle. My first word is usually "adieu" so I can figure out most of the vowels right off.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:33 PM   #18

My wife is playing, and I'm her assistant.

Thinking it may not have staying power because most people will figure the words out quickly.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I’m on a 12 game winning streak. Best so far is guessing the word at the third attempt, on two occasions.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim59 View Post
Yes, Iím on a 12 game winning streak. Best so far is guessing the word at the third attempt, on two occasions.
I just played my first game and shocked myself by getting it in 3 attempts. Iím sure I wonít be that lucky every day.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote