Daily WORDLE - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A few days ago I read about this new game. It is a word game that is very easy to understand. There is only one game a day and it takes only a few minutes. No advertising and no sign up. Just play it. I don't usually play this sort of thing but it is fun and you cannot become an addict as you only get one game a day. There is a fun article about the author here and the rules: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10367489/Taking-WORDLE-British-software-engineers-online-word-game-attracts-thousands.html

I play it on my PC. I understand there is an app for phones too. But beware some apps are not the original game of Wordle but rather they are copycats with some downsides (pay, advertising, etc.).

Today's game is here: https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Last edited by a moderator:
Purely fun: are you playing WORDLE

Yes! My son told me about Wordle about a week ago.

Last night's word I got on the 3rd try which surprised me. Right, not a word we use commonly in the USA but knowing that the game is from the UK I went for it.

Here’s my score from last night. I played it on my iPad. When you finish click the SHARE button and it's copied to your clipboard. It didn't paste correctly from my computer, I had to paste from my iPad.

Grrrr.. not pasting correctly!

Wordle 212 3/6

Last edited:
I've played it twice. Both times it took me all six tries but I got the word.

What I like about it is that you can only play it once very 24 yours, unless you jump about from one device to another. This makes it hard to waste too much time on it.

It's a nice short diversion for those of us who are currently Covid isolated.

I've never done it, but I heard about it last week.

Here's Jimmy Fallon doing it with the audience. This video can be used as a tutorial...

My daughter sent a message about this to DW, who is an avid word game person.

The game is similar to a game I coded as one of my very first programming projects: mastermind. I wrote that code on an Apple II C. And I didn't code it as much as type in code from a listing in a magazine.

Anyway, I got it in 4. No hits on the first guess but 2 in the right place, one out of place on 2nd guess. Weird how much progress you can make :)

Yeah the paste for scores grid doesn't work here, but yes I'm playing. Yesterday i got it on row 2. Avg is about 3.8. DH and I both play in the mornings. It does US spellings of shared words (color, etc.)

As much as I like to get it quickly, it's actually more fun it it's a nail-biter.

I just learned about it last week, and I'm certainly enjoying it so far.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 1.05.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 1.05.25 PM.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 137
Sometimes I start and then come back to it. There is no timer or limit. I've even gone to paper and pencil to work it out.

Nice brain teaser/mental exercise game. My son and I have discussed our strategy for what word to start with. Go for vowels? Or common consonants?

A friend clued me into it. At the time, not knowing anything about the game, I told her that I'd probably give it a miss. I explained that, despite being fairly good with the written word, I always do terribly at word games. Oddly, I nearly always lose badly at Scrabble - even to people for whom English is a second language, and who have more limited vocabularies than me. She urged me to try it anyway. This morning, I did, and quite enjoyed it. I think this will become part of my morning routine.

I just watched the video. I'll check it out. I was a news story last week about how multiple apps on the Google and Apple app stores are copying its functionality exactly and making money off it while the free site suffers. I hate that.

I also got that word today. So that means that everybody is getting the same word.
Now the question is - when does a "day" start.

There are strategies like starting with mostly vowels or with words made from popular letters.
Is it OK to discuss strategies or shall we keep spoilers off this thread ?

I also got that word today. So that means that everybody is getting the same word.

There are strategies like starting with mostly vowels or with words made from popular letters.

The only thing I would not do is give away the answer for today. I did read about a good starter word but hesitate to offer it up because I don't want to ruin someone's fun. Clearly a good starter word would have more then one vowel in it.

It didn't initially occur to me that this would be a word that is a more common part of the lexicon in the UK than the US, but you're right. However, a friend in Florida and her daughter both got it in 3 tries. They are American, so perhaps the UK/US divide in this game is not such a setback after all.

The only thing I would not do is give away the answer for today. I did read about a good starter word but hesitate to offer it up because I don't want to ruin someone's fun. Clearly a good starter word would have more then one vowel in it.

Yes, that's part of the fun, coming up with your own starter word.

The “day” starts at midnight for your local time. My son follows a lot of British folks on Twitter so he’s reading their tweets after they have solved it. No one gives it away, just make comments.

A friend clued me into it. At the time, not knowing anything about the game, I told her that I'd probably give it a miss. I explained that, despite being fairly good with the written word, I always do terribly at word games. Oddly, I nearly always lose badly at Scrabble - even to people for whom English is a second language, and who have more limited vocabularies than me. She urged me to try it anyway. This morning, I did, and quite enjoyed it. I think this will become part of my morning routine.

Games are suppose to be fun. But unfortunately they can become very competitive. Even just playing solo can be competitive if one hears that a good player did it in X minutes or did it in Y tries. The competition is in comparing our performance to others. I am trying to get away from that sort of thing but it is really hard in our society and definitely for me. I don't like to lose. :) ... :confused: ... :facepalm:

I played a lot of online chess last year and found that the game was highly competitive and so many players are really good and move very fast. I played against players from all over the world. I've played against players that had played thousands of games on Lichess (free online chess). And one cannot get away from having a rating in online chess. So I've backed off from online chess, maybe permanently.

Last edited:
I have been playing Wordle. My first word is usually "adieu" so I can figure out most of the vowels right off.

My wife is playing, and I'm her assistant.

Thinking it may not have staying power because most people will figure the words out quickly.

Yes, I’m on a 12 game winning streak. Best so far is guessing the word at the third attempt, on two occasions.

Yes, I’m on a 12 game winning streak. Best so far is guessing the word at the third attempt, on two occasions.

I just played my first game and shocked myself by getting it in 3 attempts. I’m sure I won’t be that lucky every day.

I have been playing Wordle. My first word is usually "adieu" so I can figure out most of the vowels right off.

Giving away your starting word is a bit of a spoiler, IMHO (see post #13). I wish I could unsee that now!

Giving away your starting word is a bit of a spoiler, IMHO (see post #13). I wish I could unsee that now!

OTOH, I have yet to see an article about the game that doesn't discuss the starting words people use.

On the bright side, for every explanation of why a particular starting strategy is good, there is another for why it's bad. So don't worry about it. :cool:

I also got today's in 3 days. That was mostly because my starter word was very close.

I have only played it 3 times. I got it in 5, then 4, now 3 guesses. As I say, today was mostly luck, but it came about because I had refined my starter word after the first two days. A bit of luck.

The hardest Worldes are the ones that repeat a letter--almost unfair!

OTOH, I have yet to see an article about the game that doesn't discuss the starting words people use.

On the bright side, for every explanation of why a particular starting strategy is good, there is another for why it's bad. So don't worry about it. :cool:

I have only read one article about the game, so wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I feel better now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom