Join Early Retirement Today

David Weekley Homes?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

David Weekley Homes?

My DW and I are looking at having DW Homes build us a house outside of Charlotte, NC. Any experience with DW Homes out there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

They have a good reputation here in Georgia. But again it is just a name. Each subdivision or section of a subdivision and even each house has different builders on the project. Not only that they are generally under a new LLC ever 4 or so houses.

The name is really nothing but a project management company in most cases. You may have a great experience or you may have a bad experience.

My advice is to wait for the house to be built then put in your offer after completion. This market isn't really any rush.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In general I would say that David Weekley homes (in Texas) has a good reputation. David Weekley has been a big proponent in Texas of laws that really limit homeowner remedies and to require a cumbersome process for asserting claims against builders. Despite that, I will say that they usually build decent homes. Many, many, many years ago I owned a David Weekley home (bought used, not new) and had no problems with it.

All of that said, I don't know anything about who they have working for them in your area and so can't comment on your local office.

We are planning to have a house built on our land and I considered the David Weekley Build on Your Lot program. I didn't go with it as I didn't like most of their plans (most plans were designed for narrow subdivision lots and we are on an acre).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the thoughts & experience.